Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why not? Young guys with money and all the time in the world in the offseason.
I dont think thats the issue. The issue is that he is now under contract to an NHL team that isnt the Edmonton Oilers.
If he wants to just go to a game thats one thing...for him to have the jersey of the team that didnt sign him to that contract is another thing altogether.

I have no doubt that his teammates were looking at that going...WTF?

Just reverse the situation. What if after Hyman signed here and then (if the Oilers missed the playoffs) Hyman goes to a Leafs game with a Leafs jersey?
This board would have a freaking meltdown...lol

Reactions: DarksideGhost

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Adin Hill won that series for Vegas, primarily. We had it while Logan Thompson was in net. Adin Hill is back to being Adin Hill, so hopefully if we meet them, we can light 'em up.

Vegas figuring out that just skating next to Nurse or Ceci would make them chase them 40ft from the net and no forward would fill the empty space had a big impact on the outcome too hehe.

Total idiocy in our end and inability to finish and Hill going Hasek on us was a bad combo. Nurse suspension killed us too because Broberg got totally owned and looked like a toddler among men when we had to throw him into the fire.

Everything went wrong to end that series. We played a part. Joke league and Parros played a part. And Vegas/Hill played a part.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Fair enough. With his reputation as a "playoff beast," I just expected more I guess. Fortunately, the McDavid-Hyman show took over in Game 1. Hopefully he brings it in Game 2.
Wasn’t he well over 60% on the dot too? He had a good game. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Reactions: Porkleaker

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Vegas figuring out that just skating next to Nurse or Ceci would make them chase them 40ft from the net and no forward would fill the empty space had a big impact on the outcome too hehe
Absolutely.
They exposed Nurse (the highest paid Oilers dman by a mile) repeatedly. Watching that happen over and over again was extremely frustrating.

Reactions: oobga

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont think thats the issue. The issue is that he is now under contract to an NHL team that isnt the Edmonton Oilers.
If he wants to just go to a game thats one thing...for him to have the jersey of the team that didnt sign him to that contract is another thing altogether.

Just reverse the situation. What if after Hyman signed here and then (if the Oilers missed the playoffs) Hyman goes to a Leafs game with a Leafs jersey?
Even Tkachuk took heat and at least he was watching his brother. Believe the following year he made a point of not going or something

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even Tkachuk took heat and at least he was watching his brother. Believe the following year he made a point of not going or something
Oh yeah...thats right and he didnt even have a Flames jersey.
If he would have had a Flames jersey then I could just imagine how high the level of outrage would have been.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I was thinking that as well. I don't blame either side. We couldn't afford to sign him for that much and Kostin wanted to more than double his career earnings. In the end, props to Holland for finding a team willing to pay him that.
I would go anywhere that offered my double my current earnings. I don't hold it against him. I would find it weird if I was his teammate though watching him with an Oiler's jersey around his neck. As a fan, I like him.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

Reminds me of when Kassian sold out for that Flames' fan Cameo request a few seasons ago after a heated BOA. Public footage of saying, "Tkachuk's hit was not dirty, go Flames go" or something to that extent.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Reminds me of when Kassian sold out for that Flames' fan Cameo request a few seasons ago after a heated BOA. Public footage of saying, "Tkachuk's hit was not dirty, go Flames go" or something to that extent.
Forgot about that one too...lol
Wasnt a good look.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

I think you are making too big of a deal about it. And it's not like Kostin has been glued to some dressing room. Detroit traded him less than one year after giving him contract, and San Jose is a chaotic team, literally the worst in the league by far, with a huge personnel turnover.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not going to lie, but Henrique's a better fit with McDavid and Hyman than Nuge. He brings similar smarts, but that willingness to go to the net and the dirty areas opens up so much more ice for McDavid and Hyman.

A fantastic example is on Hyman's second goal: Henrique chases the puck on the boards, makes a quick pass to McDavid and then goes to the net, accidentally-on-purpose tying up to 2 Kings and stopping them from chasing Connor. With the defence tied up, Hyman was free to drift into the open slot and just wait for McDavid's pass. That sequence just doesn't happen with Nuge there.

As for RNH and Drai, I'm not concerned. Those two have shown to have good chemistry in the past, though I'm not sure Foegele is the right RW'er for that line. I have a feeling McLovin, Kane, and Holloway will rotate a lot depending on who's feeling it.

I'm also loving the subtle shift on the PP of having Nuge sneak down the LW side. I had concerns with the puck often getting stuck in the triangle of McDrai and Bouchard, well this forces those 3 to spread out far more, and introduces a new backdoor play.

They basically picked on the RD all night and forced them into a no-win decision once the PP got set up: Do you stay with Hyman near the net like Gabrikov, and let Nuge sneak in backdoor (see his goal); or do you shadow Nuge, and let Hyman stand alone in front of the net, like on his hat trick goal.
That defenceman also isn't going to get any help, lest they want to give McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard the numbers advantage.

A poster previously in this thread nailed it - Henrique is ideal with McDavid because he goes to the net and has better in tight scoring touch, RNH is ideal with Draisaitl because he's a guy that Leon can make plays off of, but is also aware enough to cover off some of the riskier decisions Leon makes with the puck.

I've been begging for the Oilers to move to more of a "hybrid" PP structure where Hyman, McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl are aways in rotation so that it becomes extremely difficult to track who is where and difficult to cover off their individual strengths in various parts of the ice. Based on last night it seems like they have always had it in their back pocket, but just waited until it matters to deploy.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Well...Vegas certainly did not lose the most impactful player. That was Draisaitl by a mile.
Skinner did struggle as a rookie goaltender last playoffs but the team had the ability to outscore their defensive mistakes and Skinners struggles.
Draisaitl was the driving force on this team offensively last post season.
Draisaitl was responsible for 30% of the goals the team scored in the playoffs. He scored 13 of the teams total of 44 goals. He was a shadow of himself after that slash. That one play essentially removed Draisaitl from the offence which completely changed the series.

Leon might have been the MVP forward but they had the horses otherwise, including McDavid. I don’t think lack of offense lost them the series, however.

Game 5, Vegas scored 4 goals. Game 6, they scored 4 before the 5th empty net goal. The other two games they lost vs Vegas was game 1 where Vegas was up 5-3 before winning 6-4 with an ENG. Game 3 was a laugher 5-1 win that was over in the 2nd period.

Not many teams would be expected to outscore that in the playoffs

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A poster previously in this thread nailed it - Henrique is ideal with McDavid because he goes to the net and has better in tight scoring touch, RNH is ideal with Draisaitl because he's a guy that Leon can make plays off of, but is also aware enough to cover off some of the riskier decisions Leon makes with the puck.

I've been begging for the Oilers to move to more of a "hybrid" PP structure where Hyman, McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl are aways in rotation so that it becomes extremely difficult to track who is where and difficult to cover off their individual strengths in various parts of the ice. Based on last night it seems like they have always had it in their back pocket, but just waited until it matters to deploy.
Oilers have also been holding back in having McDavid and Drai play together for the last stretch of the season and then boom, split again for game 1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you are making too big of a deal about it. And it's not like Kostin has been glued to some dressing room. Detroit traded him less than one year after giving him contract, and San Jose is a chaotic team, literally the worst in the league by far, with a huge personnel turnover.
As I said...just change the scenario to Zack Hyman.
So apparently you would be fine with Hyman going to a Leafs playoff game with a Leafs jersey?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Leon might have been the MVP forward but they had the horses otherwise, including McDavid. I don’t think lack of offense lost them the series, however.

Game 5, Vegas scored 4 goals. Game 6, they scored 4 before the 5th empty net goal. The other two games they lost vs Vegas was game 1 where Vegas was up 5-3 before winning 6-4 with an ENG. Game 3 was a laugher 5-1 win that was over in the 2nd period.

Not many teams would be expected to outscore that in the playoffs
I think that slash not only neutralized Draisaitl it also took the steam right out of the team
They just werent the same team at all after the slash.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Adin Hill won that series for Vegas, primarily. We had it while Logan Thompson was in net. Adin Hill is back to being Adin Hill, so hopefully if we meet them, we can light 'em up.
I think Dallas or Colorado/Winnipeg with set Hill's ass on fire before the Oilers get a chance.

As I said...just change the scenario to Zack Hyman.
So apparently you would be fine with Hyman going to a Leafs playoff game with a Leafs jersey?
I think Hyman has a different status than Kostin. Maybe he's coming back to the Oilers in the offseason too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Hyman has a different status than Kostin. Maybe he's coming back to the Oilers in the offseason too.
Kostin is under contract with the Sharks until the end of the 2024/25 season.

Honest question...why does the status of the player matter? So if Hyman did exactly the same thing that Kostin did then it would matter....but with Kostin it doesnt matter?
Not following you here.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think that slash not only neutralized Draisaitl it also took the steam right out of the team
They just werent the same team at all after the slash.

I don't disagree, but they lost two games due to goaltending / d-play before that game, which really set the tone for the series. I agree that the Drai slash and fallout from it was a factor in them losing steam / motivation.

That said, I think this team has the depth to be more resilient with adversity. Fingers crossed

Reactions: alanschu

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Honest question...why does the status of the player matter? So if Hyman did exactly the same thing that Kostin did then it would matter....but with Kostin it doesnt matter?
Not following you here.
BEcause Kostin is barely an NHL player. Who cares?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't disagree, but they lost two games due to goaltending / d-play before that game, which really set the tone for the series. I agree that the Drai slash and fallout from it was a factor in them losing steam / motivation.

That said, I think this team has the depth to be more resilient with adversity. Fingers crossed
I can see where you are coming from on the vegas series. There were multiple factors for sure.

Regarding the bolded though....we absolutely agree on that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
BEcause Kostin is barely an NHL player. Who cares?
Well you are probably happy that the team didnt sign him then. :D

Seriously...I guess I just dont beleive in double standards. If its the wrong thing to do then its wrong regardless of the player.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Not following you here.
Ya repping another teams jersey while signed is pretty crazy. I would be annoyed if it was the other way around but it’s not so welcome aboard Kostin.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ya repping another teams jersey while signed is pretty crazy. I would be annoyed if it was the other way around but it’s not so welcome aboard Kostin.
Yeah...its a no brainer and Kostin apparently left his brain at home yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad