Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
feel like the kings might have used all their luck lol
If so, they will have to hope skinner goes skinner from last playoffs. Also when they go to sleep for brief moments not to let the kings back in it. But yeah, all we need is for him to be average and this team has a real solid chance to make the finals.

Reactions: McDoused

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not going to lie, but Henrique's a better fit with McDavid and Hyman than Nuge. He brings similar smarts, but that willingness to go to the net and the dirty areas opens up so much more ice for McDavid and Hyman.

A fantastic example is on Hyman's second goal: Henrique chases the puck on the boards, makes a quick pass to McDavid and then goes to the net, accidentally-on-purpose tying up to 2 Kings and stopping them from chasing Connor. With the defence tied up, Hyman was free to drift into the open slot and just wait for McDavid's pass. That sequence just doesn't happen with Nuge there.

As for RNH and Drai, I'm not concerned. Those two have shown to have good chemistry in the past, though I'm not sure Foegele is the right RW'er for that line. I have a feeling McLovin, Kane, and Holloway will rotate a lot depending on who's feeling it.

I'm also loving the subtle shift on the PP of having Nuge sneak down the LW side. I had concerns with the puck often getting stuck in the triangle of McDrai and Bouchard, well this forces those 3 to spread out far more, and introduces a new backdoor play.

They basically picked on the RD all night and forced them into a no-win decision once the PP got set up: Do you stay with Hyman near the net like Gabrikov, and let Nuge sneak in backdoor (see his goal); or do you shadow Nuge, and let Hyman stand alone in front of the net, like on his hat trick goal.
That defenceman also isn't going to get any help, lest they want to give McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard the numbers advantage.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That was a factor but the Oilers were a completely different team after that slash on Drai.

It had an impact, but you could argue that the VGK lost the better player to suspension. Parros deserves an assist for rattling the Oilers by making an 'unjust' decision with a symmetrical suspension. IMO they did not take that decision well and it was a big part of why they and the coaching staff "let it happen". I recall Skinner looking shaky already at that point (and had shown signs vs the Kings when he was pulled and Jack had to save them from going down 3-1).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not going to lie, but Henrique's a better fit with McDavid and Hyman than Nuge. He brings similar smarts, but that willingness to go to the net and the dirty areas opens up so much more ice for McDavid and Hyman.

A fantastic example is on Hyman's second goal: Henrique chases the puck on the boards, makes a quick pass to McDavid and then goes to the net, accidentally-on-purpose tying up to 2 Kings and stopping them from chasing Connor. With the defence tied up, Hyman was free to drift into the open slot and just wait for McDavid's pass. That sequence just doesn't happen with Nuge there.

As for RNH and Drai, I'm not concerned. Those two have shown to have good chemistry in the past, though I'm not sure Foegele is the right RW'er for that line. I have a feeling McLovin, Kane, and Holloway will rotate a lot depending on who's feeling it.

I'm also loving the subtle shift on the PP of having Nuge sneak down the LW side. I had concerns with the puck often getting stuck in the triangle of McDrai and Bouchard, well this forces those 3 to spread out far more, and introduces a new backdoor play.

They basically picked on the RD all night and forced them into a no-win decision once the PP got set up: Do you stay with Hyman near the net like Gabrikov, and let Nuge sneak in backdoor (see his goal); or do you shadow Nuge, and let Hyman stand alone in front of the net, like on his hat trick goal.
That defenceman also isn't going to get any help, lest they want to give McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard the numbers advantage.
I agree.
Regarding the PP I think that the Oilers coaching staff has (so far) taken advantage of the formation the Kings are playing. They are playing a diamond and that means there is a lone dman down low. The Oilers are exploiting that by having 2 forwards down low.

One thing LA could do is switch to more of a box formation but that would likely open up the bumper position and also the middle slot area.
The game within a game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It had an impact, but you could argue that the VGK lost the better player to suspension. Parros deserves an assist for rattling the Oilers by making an 'unjust' decision with a symmetrical suspension. IMO they did not take that decision well and it was a big part of why they and the coaching staff "let it happen". I recall Skinner looking shaky already at that point (and had shown signs vs the Kings when he was pulled and Jack had to save them from going down 3-1).
Well...Vegas certainly did not lose the most impactful player. That was Draisaitl by a mile.
Skinner did struggle as a rookie goaltender last playoffs but the team had the ability to outscore their defensive mistakes and Skinners struggles.
Draisaitl was the driving force on this team offensively last post season.
Draisaitl was responsible for 30% of the goals the team scored in the playoffs. He scored 13 of the teams total of 44 goals. He was a shadow of himself after that slash. That one play essentially removed Draisaitl from the offence which completely changed the series.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers completely broke down the Kings PK with video. They’re gonna force the Kings to go into a wider diamond and that will open up the seam passes.
Yeah, yeah. We all watched Bieksa's breakdown of the Oilers ruining the Kings PK.

It's amazing, Draisaitl is such an extraordinary superstar.
But he's lazy! Doesn't push to the end of the game. Too soft for his size! What a bum!

j/k of course.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Adin Hill won that series for Vegas, primarily. We had it while Logan Thompson was in net. Adin Hill is back to being Adin Hill, so hopefully if we meet them, we can light 'em up.
Adin Hill went on a heater but when 30% of your goal scoring dries up that is going to have a major impact on any playoff series.
Especially on a team like Veags that doesnt give up much and typically makes their Goalies look better than they are.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Klim being at the game makes me wonder just how many ex Oilers go. Laraque was also there, and I ran into Ladi back in the 17/18 playoff run.
Why not? Young guys with money and all the time in the world in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad