Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thinking back to last night, and I meant to mention it then, the sequence where Arvidsson gets the breakaway with the Oilers up 2-0, Skinner forces him to miss (or he misses the net depending on how you want to see it), then the Oil go right back, Hyman gets his 2nd and they're up 3-0

That swing was massive and this team never looked back after that.
I think Louie mentioned the same during the game. Never know what could've happened after that, but the Oil kept with it and were rewarded.

I felt at times LA abandoned ship while the Oil kept coming.
Chevy is a great GM

Agreed, when we lose, our fan base comes undone as well. You would think we are better hockey players then the players we are complaining about.
I just wanna win, is that too much to ask? I have about 100 different Oilers jerseys and Ill wear them every day if we win. My wife and daughter are Oiler fans, albeit they had no choice. There have been some rough days and we got laughed at but we stuck with them. With them so long, some of my jerseys dont fit anymore. Go Figure
100 jerseys at once? Who you Joey Tribbiani?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I always liked Henrique, and he was giving the Kings some trouble as early as 2012 when he was with Jersey. Never forget that SC final. Elias and Henrique were Jerseys best forwards. You probably mean it differently but Henrique isn't a mini Nuge, he's a stronger more physical player that protects pucks well and has got a bit more battle. Needs to be remembered sometimes that other players, till they come here, they don't get the benefit of playing with great players every day. They get that when they arrive here.

EV Henrique is a fundamentally excellent player that contributes well offensively. Remembering as well this is older Henrique, far from prime, and he still looks this good. Good for KK to manage his minutes a bit. SC playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint.
I believe Henrique played for that Windsor team that won B2B Mem Cups. That team was stacked. I think they could have beaten some NHL teams at the time. I bet there was a dozen guys on the last team that made NHL

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Great shot and he was all over it last night in general. Carrick has been lowkey good as well, the 4th line is a cycling machine and will chip in the odd goal which is exactly what you want from your 4th line. Maybe the best Oilers 4th line since GlenX-Brodziak-Stortini. Holland did well at the deadline.
Was just looking at TOI, kinda surprised at how little he played as I thought Henrique looked good.

Then again I didn't realize that Kane, Perry and McLeod ended up with more ES ice time than any of the other forwards yesterday.

McDavid and Leon damn near 5 minutes overall less than last year's numbers. Kinda good to see early on in the playoffs.

I believe Henrique played for that Windsor team that won B2B Mem Cups. That team was stacked. I think they could have beaten some NHL teams at the time. I bet there was a dozen guys on the last team that made NHL
You are correct on the Mem Cups, and after watching the Isles play yesterday they might've been able to beat them

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think Louie mentioned the same during the game. Never know what could've happened after that, but the Oil kept with it and were rewarded.

I felt at times LA abandoned ship while the Oil kept coming.

I thought that was the hot dog eating fella so I had to look it up. Fella from friends it is. I never once watched that show. I was a Cheers, TAXI, WKRP watcher. Still watch them.

Was just looking at TOI, kinda surprised at how little he played as I thought Henrique looked good.

Then again I didn't realize that Kane, Perry and McLeod ended up with more ES ice time than any of the other forwards yesterday.

McDavid and Leon damn near 5 minutes overall less than last year's numbers. Kinda good to see early on in the playoffs.

You are correct on the Mem Cups, and after watching the Isles play yesterday they might've been able to beat them
I actually picked Isles to beat Canes in my bracket pool. There is always a major upset in 1st Rd and I picked the Isles. Worse thing is, they could be up 2-0. What a choke job. They are finished now

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Makes Chevy look like a genius. They robbed LA. Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, and Rasmus Kupari, and a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.Jul 4, 2023. Those players have helped Winnipeg. They then signed him to a 8 year 68 mil. That could be a GM killer

did she have a hip replacement? Thats the way I move now
Rasmus Kupari is an absolute nothing. Complete bust of a player. he shouldn't even be in the NHL. This was essentially a Villardi for Dubois trade. The thrown in guys don't matter a whole lot.

Kings get a power forward tough Center that punishes with hits and plays a smart simple game and can score. Jets get a real talent winger that can play on top line. But Dubois can Center a top line in this league and will. To get a power forward Center in this league that hits like a truck and that has scored 27, 28 goals in succession is rarer than we think. Kings are longterm on this and its the Kopitar replacement. People can check this out years from now. Only thing that could stop Dubois is himself.

Villardi has sexier talent. But Villardi has considerable injury trouble and back trouble.

Latter comment but focus on when Byfield and Dubois get together. because you'll be seeing that for years. They work excellently off each other. Dubois also works to center ice and can distribute crisp fast passes to Kempe/Byfield on the wing. On the game PLD was better than Kopitar, already. I love Kopitar, he's just getting old finally. Kings needed a replacement for him to go on after he's done.

That said I have a clear bias when it comes to power forward Centers. They are so potentially valuable. We're so gifted to have both McD, and Drai that are so physical and strong on pucks and that are generational superstars.

Calgary fans must have hated game one. hated it so much its soul destroying. yeah we know you're out there watching in spite. ;)

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought that was the hot dog eating fella so I had to look it up. Fella from friends it is. I never once watched that show. I was a Cheers, TAXI, WKRP watcher. Still watch them.

I actually picked Isles to beat Canes in my bracket pool. There is always a major upset in 1st Rd and I picked the Isles. Worse thing is, they could be up 2-0. What a choke job. They are finished now
Joey had an episode where he put on all of Chandler's clothes. Wasn't wearing underwear and started doing lunges.
:laugh:

I know Isles were up 3-0, but they had no business winning that game yesterday. Shot attempts were like 120-20 lol. Can't win with 12 shots in a game and only 1 in the third.

Reactions: McDoused

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
I liked the discipline tonight as well, only took 2 penalties tonight. One on a dive and the other was fine I guess. The PK stood strong and not letting them on the power play helped stifle any momentum. Well done.
Theu got punched in the face a lot and did not punch back! Great discipline. I know the oiler would have gotten called. Kemp threw 2 punches for sure and skated away....

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Joey had an episode where he put on all of Chandler's clothes. Wasn't wearing underwear and started doing lunges.
:laugh:

I know Isles were up 3-0, but they had no business winning that game yesterday. Shot attempts were like 120-20 lol. Can't win with 12 shots in a game and only 1 in the third.
Stars gotta pick it up as well in nets. 15 shots on goal and 4 goals scored. That wont cut it. I think Dallas comes back.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Oilers PP giving the Kings PK set-ups and plays that did not exist on video down the stretch. I was going to accuse them of sandbagging their PP at times down the stretch because they almost refused to deviate from their favorite hits, and then I was like who would do that when every point matters? One could argue that it pays off at this time of the year.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Rasmus Kupari is an absolute nothing. Complete bust of a player. he shouldn't even be in the NHL. This was essentially a Villardi for Dubois trade. The thrown in guys don't matter a whole lot.

Kings get a power forward tough Center that punishes with hits and plays a smart simple game and can score. Jets get a real talent winger that can play on top line. But Dubois can Center a top line in this league and will. To get a power forward Center in this league that hits like a truck and that has scored 27, 28 goals in succession is rarer than we think. Kings are longterm on this and its the Kopitar replacement. People can check this out years from now. Only thing that could stop Dubois is himself.

Villardi has sexier talent. But Villardi has considerable injury trouble and back trouble.

Latter comment but focus on when Byfield and Dubois get together. because you'll be seeing that for years. They work excellently off each other. Dubois also works to center ice and can distribute crisp fast passes to Kempe/Byfield on the wing. On the game PLD was better than Kopitar, already. I love Kopitar, he's just getting old finally. Kings needed a replacement for him to go on after he's done.

That said I have a clear bias when it comes to power forward Centers. They are so potentially valuable. We're so gifted to have both McD, and Drai that are so physical and strong on pucks and that are generational superstars.

Calgary fans must have hated game one. hated it so much its soul destroying. yeah we know you're out there watching in spite. ;)
Only thing that could stop Dubois is himself.
Thats my issue with him. He is on his 3rd team now and there seems to be attitude problems. I remember he played in Cape Breton and you could see he was gonna be a power forward. If you read the Kings board, they want him gone. They figure Blake is gone after this series

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oilers PP giving the Kings PK set-ups and plays that did not exist on video down the stretch. I was going to accuse them of sandbagging their PP at times down the stretch because they almost refused to deviate from their favorite hits, and then I was like who would do that when every point matters? One could argue that it pays off at this time of the year.
We saw a lot of drai in the center of the ice on the PP rather than his usual spot too.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Saw the cheap shot, didn't catch the game. Tax szn sucks lmfao. Seems they scored 4, but we played well? Hope this is over in 5 max, need more rest going into the later rounds

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kings defensive coverage as a whole is kind of garbage though. Far too many times either we have someone wide open or they aren't tying up our sticks. The one goal we had two guys with their sticks on the ice for Leon to hit. D-man didn't really do much to tie either guy up.

Essentially looked like something we would've done in the start of the year.
Only thing that could stop Dubois is himself.
Thats my issue with him. He is on his 3rd team now and there seems to be attitude problems. I remember he played in Cape Breton and you could see he was gonna be a power forward. If you read the Kings board, they want him gone. They figure Blake is gone after this series
I think part of it too is they have no choice. It's either trade him now or get drastically f***ed when is NMC kicks in. Guy has shown to be so damn lazy far too often.

Kind of reminds of Penner. Always leaves you wanting more and then just as you are gaining confidence in the guy he goes back to being lazy.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Thinking back to last night, and I meant to mention it then, the sequence where Arvidsson gets the breakaway with the Oilers up 2-0, Skinner forces him to miss (or he misses the net depending on how you want to see it), then the Oil go right back, Hyman gets his 2nd and they're up 3-0

That swing was massive and this team never looked back after that.
I think Skinner actually got a piece of that break away attempt.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kings defensive coverage as a whole is kind of garbage though. Far too many times either we have someone wide open or they aren't tying up our sticks. The one goal we had two guys with their sticks on the ice for Leon to hit. D-man didn't really do much to tie either guy up.

Essentially looked like something we would've done in the start of the year.

I think part of it too is they have no choice. It's either trade him now or get drastically f***ed when is NMC kicks in. Guy has shown to be so damn lazy far too often.

Kind of reminds of Penner. Always leaves you wanting more and then just as you are gaining confidence in the guy he goes back to being lazy.
lots of money tied up in him. LA can have him.

What scares me is Oettinger was lit up last year by Vegas too
I dont want Vegas winning. I think Winnipeg would beat them. Winnipeg is the real deal . They have everything u need . Maybe if they win, they can get an airport

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
For sure he was. Not sure what people look at. PLD does lot of things right. Two plays on McD on rushes where he skates with him every move and then just slams him into the boards and takes the puck. 3 times in game PLD is first to crash boards. Fed Byfield in the slot, Fed Fiala in the slot. Kopitar had a rough game. Fiala was really bad and Byfield was giving up pucks.

Arviddson was just awful in the game. -3 and just blowing chances. PLD managed to be +1 in this game. Not a GA.

PLD was hitting more than any King and strong on boards. A dumb penalty though. Thing is PLD was winning faceoffs and surviving against our top lines. Kopitar was getting buried.
I guess if you just ignore the 2 penalties he took, you don't get the minus for those. If that's what's considered good for an $8.5 million player 🤮

Reactions: McDoused and TB12

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
We saw a lot of drai in the center of the ice on the PP rather than his usual spot too.
Drai and McDavid were on the same side of the ice a lot as well which must be confusing when you probably build your PK around "okay stop the McDavid to Draisaitl cross-seam pass."

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Iafallo is 30 now and just a soft cycle player. He doesn't move much and frankly isn't better than Laferriere. I like Vilardi very much, his history though is he's just injured so often and misses half the games. Vilardi also has a back injury history that just doesn't bode well in hockey. If Villardi somehow stays healthy then yeah. But kings were fed up waiting several years for him to be healthy.

With PLD they get a potential top line C, those are never cheap, and one that hits like a bull, that is strong as hell and can even defend. watch the play where he takes out McD. he plays Mcd on a one on one rush so well, and then takes him out and takes the puck. Not even Doughty did that more than once today.

People don't understand what a Power forward Center can bring to a team. PLD and Byfield and Kempe are the best players on the Kings going forward. Fiala was botching plays all game. Of course that was PLD that fed him the sweet pass right in the slot. That Fiala f***ed up. Fed him multiple times.

PlD made 4 zone exits today when Kings were in trouble and nobody notices. Not accidental he was +1. He was actually the Kings best player all game. Probably not saying much. Arviddson was -3 and losing puck battles, blowing chances, and leaving zones without puck.
I normally nod my head reading your takes, but this one is just out there. Dubois sucks, no amount of sugar coating will change that. If their idea was to replace Anze Kopitar with Dubois, the Kings are up shit creek and their only paddle is their tongue.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
lots of money tied up in him. LA can have him.

I dont want Vegas winning. I think Winnipeg would beat them. Winnipeg is the real deal . They have everything u need . Maybe if they win, they can get an airport
Hellebuyck needs to shape up for that to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad