Oilers waive Jack Campbell

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
UFA is looking rough right now. Like Foegele arguably being a top 10-15 forward available rough.

They might be better off with picks/prospects to make a trade.

Need the cap space to make a trade though (of someone of significance). I just think you create as much space as possible without creating anymore dead cap space.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He got a ton of b2b starts his first weeks there. It was a major element that helped sandbag him at the start.

The organisation finally realised that, and more or less gave him December off to get his head on straight. He's responded by being arguably the best goalie in the AHL in 2024. Good timing, as Rodrigue's supernova start has faded.

I think people are glossing over this, he hasn't just sported a quality .920 over the last 3 months. No, he brought a sh*t, sub .900 SV% to .920 over the course of 20 games in 3 months.

I posted this in the Bakersfield thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up at the end of the season and starting games 80 and/or 81.

But unless there are injuries, it doesn't make much sense to do so earlier. He's doing well in Bakersfield, Skinner and Pickard are doing well in Edmonton, plus the team is saving about 400k in (much-needed) cap space; There's no reason to rock the boat and mess with a good thing, especially when there's a clear logical window for a call-up at the end of the season.
Seems to me how Jack Campbell has been treated by this organization reeks like Kevin Lowe resolution.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think many are overestimating how good he has been and will be. He should get a nice small raise maybe as high 1.25 per and really that should be that.
I will be pleasantly surprised if Vinny signs for $1.25M. Thats a steal.
As a matter of fact I will be surprised if he comes in under $2M.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Small sample size. We have seen much better flame out quickly after a good start to their career. I don't see how many/any teams take a risk and sign him for 2 mill and i would also be surprised if he was signed for more than 2 years either.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's a #6.
#6 guys tend to make around $925k AAV

He seems to be solidifying his game at the NHL, but he's not a young kid, He's turning 28 in a couple months. We're not likely to see massive improvements. It's unlikely he can take a top-4 spot.

$1.25 AAV is pretty fair.

If he wants to bet on himself, he could make it a shorter 2 year contract.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He's a #6.
#6 guys tend to make around $925k AAV

He seems to be solidifying his game at the NHL, but he's not a young kid, He's turning 28 in a couple months. We're not likely to see massive improvements. It's unlikely he can take a top-4 spot.

$1.25 AAV is pretty fair.

If he wants to bet on himself, he could make it a shorter 2 year contract.

I think if you give him $1.25, you'd likely need to provide him a bit of term... like even 4 years (if I were him), that's at least enough to set him up for life if he's smart with his money... takes away the risk of injury limiting his career earning, etc. He's not getting any younger and he needs to find a way for some guaranteed income.

To me $1.25 x 4 that's win-win... there is zero risk to the team, because ~the full cap can be buried if he's pushed out of his role. And for him if he continues to play consistently as he is now through the end of the contract, any team would give him another $2M x 2yrs at the end of the deal, knowing he's not a flash in the pan... on ice he's giving us $2.5M in value today... we just can't be sure how long it lasts.

$1.5M x 3 is also pretty solid for both sides.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Small sample size. We have seen much better flame out quickly after a good start to their career. I don't see how many/any teams take a risk and sign him for 2 mill and i would also be surprised if he was signed for more than 2 years either.
Sample size doesnt seem to matter in a contract year. Just one good year is all it takes for a significant raise.

Reactions: alanschu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad