GDT: Oilers vs Jets - MTS Centre - 7:00pm CDT [Do NOT solicit or post illegal streams]

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Was really impressed with Scheifele. He has come such a long way and it's so freaking satisfying to see him play the way he is. I have no doubts anymore about the entire league acknowledging him as a true bonafide #1C by the end of the year every team in the league would love to have.

Was also very impressed by Connor, Morrissey and AGAIN Tanev. Man is he fun to watch flying over the ice, being in peoples face on the forcecheck, hustling, passing, getting into spaces and creating situations. I'm totally sold on him absolutely having to start the year on the Jets 4th line.

Right now, I want to see:

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Little Armia
Connor Perreault Stafford
Dano Matthias Tanev

And then there is Petan, Copp, De Leo, Thorburn, Peluso, Lowry, Burmistrov, Howden, Kosmachuk :amazed: Our bottom-6 is crazy stacked and we might have to trade 1-2 guys sooner than later. You can't play all of them in the AHL.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I was at the game tonight. Here's a few thoughts:
Connor was very good. I think (always have) that he will have a better year than Laine if given a fair chance.
Scheif: what more needs to be said. Just keeps getting better.
Laine: Just a very ordinary game today. But it's his first.
Tanev: I think he's the fastest guy on the team. I am so impressed with his work ethic as well. Would love to see him on the 4th line. He creates havoc. I just hope he has some finishing skills.

there's nothing remotely ordinary about an 18 year old playing that mature of a game

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
there's nothing remotely ordinary about an 18 year old playing that mature of a game

Yep, for sure. EG: I was very happy to see him quickly slide into position at the blueline to cover for a pinching defenseman on a play last night, and easily cover the incoming forward on the resulting rush - he plays an incredibly mature game for someone who's only 18 years old.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yep, for sure. EG: I was very happy to see him quickly slide into position at the blueline to cover for a pinching defenseman on a play last night, and easily cover the incoming forward on the resulting rush - he plays an incredibly mature game for someone who's only 18 years old.

No, Gin. You're not supposed to praise Patrik Laine for the defensive acumen that any good two way LW should have in the league, despite being only 18. Bad Gin!

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I can't believe how strong Scheifele has gotten. He is hard to handle down low. I remember management predicted that when he was first drafted. Kinda gives me optimism for a guy like Stanley..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Said it in the game thread after the last game, will say it again, Josh Morrissey can make such a difference for this team on the point this year. He played nearly 23 minutes, and was moving the puck out like a freakin' grizzled veteran. The more he plays, the more confident he will become. His game right now reminds one of how he was playing in the WHL as a 17/18 y/o when he was drafted. Strong game from him.

Was great to see Armia play a solid game as well.

Thought Tanev was really pushing the pace the whole game as well.

Just exhibition, but encouraging nonetheless.

As a guy who has been unwavering on my belief Josh would be fine I agree. The things Josh does well we are in short supply of. Quintessential modern puck moving D man with the skill-brains-skating trifecta. I even annoyed myself with how much I have been begging for a Postma MoJo pairing but now that I see it in action it is living up to my expectations. I know it is preseason but he has taken a big step forward and his time in the AHL was obviously very valuable.

Given the current contract negotiations I think the most important asset we "need" to step up is Morrissey and so far he looks exactly like the guy we drafted.

Thrilled :hyper:

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm just very pleased that the team appears to be showing as advertised. All summer we've been jonesing for our speedy, skilled young team and that is actually what we seem to have. I mean man, not only are the guys we all expected to shine looking good, but a bunch of other young guys are looking to claim spots on the roster. It's pretty thrilling...it's not outside the realm of possibility that Conner and Laine could both be in the running for rookie of the year this season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm just very pleased that the team appears to be showing as advertised. All summer we've been jonesing for our speedy, skilled young team and that is actually what we seem to have. I mean man, not only are the guys we all expected to shine looking good, but a bunch of other young guys are looking to claim spots on the roster. It's pretty thrilling...it's not outside the realm of possibility that Conner and Laine could both be in the running for rookie of the year this season.

I'm happy to see that the speed I've been witnessing at the iceplex the last month or so was not a mirage.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As a guy who has been unwavering on my belief Josh would be fine I agree. The things Josh does well we are in short supply of. Quintessential modern puck moving D man with the skill-brains-skating trifecta. I even annoyed myself with how much I have been begging for a Postma MoJo pairing but now that I see it in action it is living up to my expectations. I know it is preseason but he has taken a big step forward and his time in the AHL was obviously very valuable.

Given the current contract negotiations I think the most important asset we "need" to step up is Morrissey and so far he looks exactly like the guy we drafted.

Thrilled :hyper:

I'm with you ps, been a fan of Morrissey since day one also believe he has all the tools to be a very good NHL defenseman. The one thing you may be disappointed in if you were wanting a Morrissey - Postma pairing, is I think it is very likely, baring movement on the Trouba front, that Josh will soon move past the 3rd pairing and find himself playing in the top 4.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Surprised no one is complaining about the lack of even strength goals last night

I did find that a bit bothersome that they couldn't generate much 5v5, but I'm not too terribly concerned about it right now. They're still playing with half of an AHL squad on their roster.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just read the Oilers GDT. My favorite post:

"At least we have a new arena"

Lots of Scheifele love there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Surprised no one is complaining about the lack of even strength goals last night

At this point that is far out weighted by watching the PP click. I don't see goals for being the problem this season. A lot of offense will be generated by Scheif, wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Little, MP, Laine and down the line.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree. Gives me hope that even if we aren't a playoff team this year we'll be one of most exciting teams to watch. Fast, skilled, creative and dangerous. I can see the Jerts becoming a much hotter ticket round the league.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
So far it looks like all thre of the Schwhelhers line look like they haven't missed a day from thier dominant ending to last year. That's what I'm most excited to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad