Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Consumer distributors reminds me of the old Sask Liquor store when I went with my dad. Write the stock number on a slip of paper with a pencil and the union paid dude would walk into the storeroom, show you the bottle and quickly hide it in a paper bag and take your money.
ALCB was the same way. First you would walk in past a guy at the door who was allegedly some sort of security. Kids were allowed with their parents so I loved going in. I'd walk taller in there, haha.

Then you would go to the standup desks that had the liquor catalogs in binders. You'd have to rummage through the listings writing down everything. The bottle, brand, type size, price. Anything wrong and they made you do it over. After writing up your list and adding it manually(no calculators and you had to do it) to come to a total you would have to go in one lineup where they have the guy that goes in the back and gets your booze. They would then not hand it to you but just place it behind cashier with your order number. The whole area being railed off to protect it from morons. Places were tighter than fort Knox. Then when it was finally your turn to pay for the booze the cashier would very slowly run it through looking you over and asking if you'd already been by this week.... If your total was wrong and didn't match up with the cashier you'd be asked why and what are you trying to pull. If you added up too much they probably charged you the excess. lol.

If it wasn't around Christmas time and your list was too long they would actually ask why you needed all this booze. What do you have planned?

The whole procedure would take minimally 20mins and on busy days could be an hour. There was one ALCB store in entire West end. Located at Stony Plain Road and 151st. Everybody knew where it was. Sometimes lineups to get in the place. Accordingly police station was on the same block. lol

It was kind of funny because if you didn't know your math good enough to add up a bunch of numbers you wouldn't be able to buy booze. I guess the minimum requirement of the time is you could do simple addition, be able to write legibly and spell. Haha, now there is no requirement. Just walk in and even paying is optional.

Any goon that wrote Seegrams back then was kicked out of the place. If you couldn't spell Rye they'd just punt you out. hehe Back thar there were standards and stuff. ;)

ps they didn't sell Vodka in large plastic Water jugs either.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

The drivel from Canucks fans in the comments makes my eyes hurt.

I initially picked the Oilers in 6, but now I hope they win in 5...and that Game 5 is an 8-1 thrashing where the Canucks get booed off the ice.

No love for Vancouver from Messier? Colour me surprised.

1715107200709.jpeg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
ALCB was the same way. First you would walk in past a guy at the door who was allegedly some sort of security. Kids were allowed with their parents so I loved going in. I'd walk taller in there, haha.

Then you would go to the standup desks that had the liquor catalogs in binders. You'd have to rummage through the listings writing down everything. The bottle, brand, type size, price. Anything wrong and they made you do it over. After writing up your list and adding it manually(no calculators and you had to do it) to come to a total you would have to go in one lineup where they have the guy that goes in the back and gets your booze. They would then not hand it to you but just place it behind cashier with your order number. The whole area being railed off to protect it from morons. Places were tighter than fort Knox. Then when it was finally your turn to pay for the booze the cashier would very slowly run it through looking you over and asking if you'd already been by this week.... If your total was wrong and didn't match up with the cashier you'd be asked why and what are you trying to pull. If you added up too much they probably charged you the excess. lol.

The whole procedure would take minimally 20mins and on busy days could be an hour. There was one ALCB store in entire West end. Located at Stony Plain Road and 151st. Everybody knew where it was. Sometimes lineups to get in the place. Accordingly police station was on the same block. lol

It was kind of funny because if you didn't know your math good enough to add up a bunch of numbers you wouldn't be able to buy booze. I guess the minimum requirement of the time is you could do simple addition, be able to write legibly and spell. Haha, now there is no requirement. Just walk in and even paying is optional.

Any goon that wrote Seegrams back then was kicked out of the place. If you couldn't spell Rye they'd just punt you out. hehe Back thar there were standards and stuff. ;)

ps they didn't sell Vodka in large plastic Water Bottles either.
If you can’t spell or add you still shouldn’t be allowed to buy booze or cannabis. It would help “manage” things.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Crap. Henrique was so good on first line and affording Nuge being on 2nd. This throws a wrench in that. Didn't note when Henrique was injured.

I could do without Brown being the one coming in. In the pace of this series I don't think he would add much.

Odder still you would find support of a homeside nauseating. Your shits f***ed up. ;)
Henrique was not great on the line with with Mcdavid. It was ok at best

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you can’t spell or add you still shouldn’t be allowed to buy booze or cannabis. It would help “manage” things.
I'd reply but my expanded answer would get me in a lot of trouble.

So instead "what he said" ;)

Screw it, in an age if idiocracy I find it odd that we're adding Cannabis and more to the brain pickling list. Brain cells already being on endangered list.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
You're the first person I've encountered that doesn't like Gene Principe.

#2 wtf

Gene Principe seems like the most affable and good-tempered person you could meet.

I bet the players appreciate him.
Friend of mine went to school with him. He wore a bandanna when he played soccer. Beside that, I usually don’t like punny but he is owning it. It’s kinda adorable at this point.
I think the Oilers win in 6 truthfully. I did put money on Nucks in 7 as as hedge. I feel like if we lose it's most likely in 7 and the odds are better

Damn tho, I didn't think voting Nucks in 7 on a message board would put your panties in a bunch. ( I changed my vote)

Everyone is overrating the Oilers and its nauseating. I miss when the oilers were +1800 to Win the Cup and everyone said they were cooked.
the canukle head always shows through

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Sure kirk..
Why don't you debate me on it instead of throwing chirps and holding a vendetta against me. Why do you care I voted "Van in 7" It's a stupid poll anyways.

How was Henrique "so good" on that line? It looked like he was struggling to find chemistry at times.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The drivel from Canucks fans in the comments makes my eyes hurt.

I initially picked the Oilers in 6, but now I hope they win in 5...and that Game 5 is an 8-1 thrashing where the Canucks get booed off the ice.

Its a plus not signing up for Instagram ever. Added bonus is you don't have to see any of the comments. This also works quite well on X and Facebook.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Because you're not here in good faith.
I'm a bigger Oilers fan than most people on here. You seem to be more worried about who votes for who in a meaningless poll and starting drama on a message board. You sound like Queen Romana.

Why can't a fan have a contrarian view of a player like Bouchard? This isn't a cult or religion. All I did was defend my stance that Bouchard is not yet an elite top 10 defensemen in the NHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Do not mind Janmark stepping in for Henrique. Hopefully, Knoblauch will ride whichever bottom 6 winger is cooking in game 1.
or save teh first period tryout and put holloway there

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Wasn't really a specific thing. Basically a ton of drunk people all got out of the bar at the same time, some fights broke out and then it went downhill from there.

The "Doug Weight trade caused the riot!" theory is totally out of left field, and probably shared by nobody other than the poster pushing it.
Exactly. I remember when it happened, but don't remember any of the context at the time referring it back to the trade as even an underlying cause. Everyone knew it was happening, it was only a question of where he'd go and what the package would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad