Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol at the Tochet presser, he's trying to swing them as an underdog, despite finishing higher and winning the season series 4-0.
He learned at the hands of Mike Keenan, a guy that would use any angle to motivate or frame a team and credit to him. The Canucks are not quite what they are without Tocchet focusing that energy.

I can't disrespect Tocchet. A guy that played the game the right way and coaches earnestly. A guy that never leaves anything but effort. Far prefer him to the previous coach that would cry on camera about how badly he was being treated. Boudreau was guilty of making it about himself. That should never come from the coach. Nucks have had some real wingnuts like Crawford as head coach. its hard to fault Tocchet overall. He's one of the best coaches the org has had.

In anycase regardless of standing and seasonal records the Nucks are underdog. Not just Tocchet saying that.

I do think Nucks will show better than we might tend to think. Their skating and flooding pressure to areas will give us different looks than Kings did. Kings currently lack the speed they used to have. They've become slower. Nucks are quicker to pressure to pucks. Nucks also find ways to get pucks downlow when on game.

Game 1 could be like a couple years ago against Calgary. Oilers will have a week off and might not be sharp in game one.

Needs to be recognized as well that 3years in a row of playing Kings have culled it into bloodsport for the Oilers. We don't have that history with Vancouver at all. I do think for at least one game the Oilers won't be up to task or prepared for speed.

Yes, all the time lol. It's been happening with Lebron as well for a looong time, Brady also received a lot of hate from opponents. This is what rivalries are all about. It's been happening in sports for forever.

Again, as I said in my previous post, I'm talking about hate directed towards a rival in general not necessarily screaming it out in the streets.

In any event, f*** the Canucks ;)
Could be a sign of the times. Respect is largely non existent in present day. I truly don't recall ever hearing Michael Jordan sucks chants and the like. Maybe it happened. I don't follow Basketball anymore though so don't know about the Lebron stuff.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What happened to Elliotte? He seemed to be working his way to become like a Bob MacKenzie for HNIC. Just a neutral voice of reason with good insider connections. But he's turned into a weird emotional tabloid quality reporter. That disaster call at the olympics maybe broke his brain. Or maybe how this leafs rebuild has progressed did it. He just can't contain his true self anymore.

McKenzie was god tier in terms of insider knowledge. Basically anything that was said was pretty much true. Something that no insider can touch nowadays.

But I honestly don’t think McKenzie knew much about the game either. Or maybe he just didn’t want to be controversial. He didn’t really throw out opinions. Pretty sure he wouldn’t even answer quiz master TSN questions.

Reactions: Oilhawks and oobga

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Theyre insanely jealous. Fan bases have hated Edmonton for 40 years and I'll be the first to say the hockey God's GAVE us only what they could dream of.

You're right no one is going to waste time scream f Hughes or something. In Vancouver they genuinely don't have much going for them despite all the "deadmonton" jibes. I've noticed a whole lot of "Edmonton as a city bashing" on twitter since its might hard to stay on topic and criticize the oilers.

Makes me wonder why are they so obsessed with trying to insist they live in a "better" city?

I've noticed Surrey is the place that has the most rabid Canuck fans. The rest of Vancouver just doesn't care. I actually credit them for caring about their team.

But they I do wonder why there so angry intense and this such a big deal to them. I suspect if you're paying 2.5 million dollars to live in some 1200sq ft house in Surrey, send your 9 year old to be part of the Surrey education system all you have going for you is praying the Canucks win.

Bingo.

Surrey is also a complete shit hole. Imagine paying $1M+ to live in a hell hole. It's slightly warmer there though, so that trumps all in the minds of the stupid I guess.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
What happened to Elliotte? He seemed to be working his way to become like a Bob MacKenzie for HNIC. Just a neutral voice of reason with good insider connections. But he's turned into a weird emotional tabloid quality reporter. That disaster call at the olympics maybe broke his brain. Or maybe how this leafs rebuild has progressed did it. He just can't contain his true self anymore.
he's there to hear the sound of his own voice. That's all he cares about. He's not a voice of reason or knowledge. He just wears wacky suits and likes being on TV

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Game 1 could be like a couple years ago against Calgary. Oilers will have a week off and might not be sharp in game one.

Needs to be recognized as well that 3years in a row of playing Kings have culled it into bloodsport for the Oilers. We don't have that history with Vancouver at all. I do think for at least one game the Oilers won't be up to task or prepared for speed.
I think going 0-4 against them should be enough motivation to outwork them in game 1.

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
most of the Nucks votes in the poll are trolling Nucks posters coming in here and voting in the hfOilers poll. jebus get a life.

But 3 of the voters alledge being Oilers fans or are at least constant posters here.

So I'll ask, not calling out but how is it @gordonhught @Sra1974 and @Whoshattenkirkshoes why are you all voting for Vancouver. A chance to demonstrate your take or reveal.

Something doesn't add up here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think going 0-4 against them should be enough motivation to outwork them in game 1.
Could be. But from McD own words he's pretty much dispelling it. Just that I've seen the team be overconfident before. As much as I too think the regular season games had other explanations I still think 7 days off and the Oilers seeing themselves in lofty view after Kings series could have an effect. It happened 2yrs ago. Doesn't even have to be anything off on the Oilers parts. It will be hard to get to what game tempo is likely to be after being chilled for a week. You can't maintain perfect game readiness in practice. you need games.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Sorry couldn't resist.
1000014405.jpg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If they are calling embellishment Petterson is f***ed.

Hope this is true, but never know with this league. Could be whoever is lobbying hardest and whining most gets things in their favour. That would be the case based on this bush leagues history at least.

Canucks themselves made it to the finals once by diving endlessly, with their GM on TV every week, pre-whining for his players to make it seem like they were being unfairly abused by every team.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
he subscribed to the wok emind virus

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
most of the Nucks votes in the poll are trolling Nucks posters coming in here and voting in the hfOilers poll. jebus get a life.

But 3 of the voters alledge being Oilers fans or are at least constant posters here.

So I'll ask, not calling out but how is it @gordonhught @Sra1974 and @Whoshattenkirkshoes why are you all voting for Vancouver. A chance to demonstrate your take or reveal.

I picked Dallas over the Oilers if they meet on my NHL.com contest, and I am 100% Oilers fan Gordonhught is for sure an Oiler fan that last guy though very sus with his posts imo

he subscribed to the wok emind virus
Lol good reference because the minds are fried

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I picked Dallas over the Oilers if they meet on my NHL.com contest, and I am 100% Oilers fan Gordonhught is for sure an Oiler fan that last guy though very sus with his posts imo

Lol good reference because the minds are fried
Gord has said off thing as well. Shattenkirk has too for a long time. Perhaps needs to be called out.

In anycase if the Oilers were playing Colorado or Dallas or Florida I could see some predictions being either way. Its kinda suspicious with respect to this series.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Bingo.

Surrey is also a complete shit hole. Imagine paying $1M+ to live in a hell hole. It's slightly warmer there though, so that trumps all in the minds of the stupid I guess.

I don't even know what $1 mil buys you in Surrey now.

For me it's Vancouver which is a drug addicted hellhole and rampant crime. Oddly enough these residents don't seem to even care about the Canucks. It's even more expensive and mentally exhausting to live here than in a Surrey or Richmond. At least there you can actually live in a house.

Then you got the suburbs where poorer people live like Surrey and in their defense they are actually fans of the Canucks. Let's quit acting like the Canucks have some glorious history and the those men pre rioting are akin to EPL soccer ultras.

Just comical behaviour witnessing the apathy and the extremism in the same city.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't even know what $1 mil buys you in Surrey now.

For me it's Vancouver which is a drug addicted hellhole and rampant crime. Oddly enough these residents don't seem to even care about the Canucks. It's even more expensive and mentally exhausting to live here than in a Surrey or Richmond. At least there you can actually live in a house.

Then you got the suburbs where poorer people live like Surrey and in their defense they are actually fans of the Canucks. Let's quit acting like the Canucks have some glorious history and the those men pre rioting are akin to EPL soccer ultras.

Just comical behaviour witnessing the apathy and the extremism in the same city.

I do a fair amount of business in Vancouver and this pretty much sums it up. Downtown you wouldn't know the team existed.

Funny how the small minds there operate. When I went there over the previous number of years I heard a lot of "Oilers are my second favourite team! McDavid is my favourite player! etc, etc." This of course was when they were fully off the bandwagon. Now that they're on the wagon it's "f*** McDavid" and "Oilers suck."

They are just a clown group of people, no other way to really describe them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bingo.

I agree about Surrey being undesirable but to say its slightly warmer is like saying Yellowknife is slightly colder. ;)

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Some key strats for success. Hope Knobby is reading

- keep Nurse off Boesers line. Nurse has a tendency to screen the goalie attempting blocks
-hammer Q. Hughes every chance you get on the forecheck. Keep a player high at all times on D when he's out there. Alot of plays generate thru him
-Make sure to drop Petterson along the boards. He's weak on his feet
-Nurse needs to be more physical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad