Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
They play like they did tonight and it won't matter. They'll get swept by Vancouver.
Honestly, with how hard Vancouver plays, this version of us righ tnow would lose in 4/5 games easyyyy and I hate saying that

We would get blown out multiple times

Van tonight. DET had 1 PP and a total of 3 shots on net in the first

Van has pretty much played their defensive system the same all year. Nothing fancy. They quickly get into their box and protect the net

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Can’t play as bad in the second as we did tonight. That lost us the game.

7 straight penalties is a joke. Some actual calls but others were soft or the ref looking to make a call. Considering they’d let a similar play go.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I don’t have the words to express how easy it is to hang out in front of our net. We take penalties in the wrong places. Take penalties laying the lumber in front of the net.

Right now we’re taking reservations. Table for two blues tonight. Would you like the red carpet. They played like a bunch of pissy sissies tonight. I’ll take 8 penalties if you’re making them count. I Recall all of 1 big hit. 8 penalties and the blues don’t even need ice after that game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
17 pts in last 10 games, top 15 in league scoring.. just enjoy his points..
Even those aren't impressive this year. He's usually top-5 at worst. Barely on pace for 40 goals when he usually gets 50. Will be luck to hit 100 points. He's either injured or starting the natural age-based decline.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Didn't watch most of this but based on the comments I'll mention my conspiracy theory:

The "grow the game" mandate by Bettman means the Oilers, and any other Canadian team, will never win a Stanley Cup again because the league and their refs will make sure it doesn't happen.

Reactions: McDrai and Oilhawks

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Atrocious officiating aside, you gotta take the game out of their hands by playing better defensively.

Onto the next one. Get into Dallas, get a good practice in tomorrow and get that win against a good team.
Dallas IMO is the best team in the league their top 9 is great , it's going to be a real test for this team

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers lost the game, full stop. Goaltending and defence not good enough. Binnington made some big saves.

It really does seem like the game management pp's go one way though. The standards for a penalty and what they let go vary too much night by night.
I know it's the classy thing to accept the loss and point out our faults in the game. But... PPs are a big source of offense and calls dictate momentum. Even boiling it to one play, Drai gets tripped at the end and they score on the empty net. That ended any possible comeback.

We did have awful plays but so did they, and a lot of our awful plays were on the PK, which we don't get to judge the Blues on.

It's easy to focus on our bad things after a loss but that does bias our interpretation of the whole game, both ways. The Blues were not as good as a 6-3 win

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Blues played a strong game but it's easy to look good when you get seven power-plays to the other teams two. Two.
Only one team has Vinnie Desharnais.

Caught up to us tonight as he was having another meltdown almost all game. Takes 4 penalties on his own and one due to raging about it.

This is the bad with this guy. He's a loose cannon.

But seriously Oilers getting beat in ownzone too much lately and pk a disaster.

Can there be any remaining reason Connor Brown is even on the ice? I know he hit a post and that seems like singling him out but generally terrible and the only rationale for even having him in the lineup was the pk was going well Now its not.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Powerplays last 2 games. 12-3 for the opposition.

That second period was as bad as I've seen from the team all year.

We play Dallas next... They're currently beating Nashville 8-2

Reactions: oilers4life5

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Didn't watch most of this but based on the comments I'll mention my conspiracy theory:

The "grow the game" mandate by Bettman means the Oilers, and any other Canadian team, will never win a Stanley Cup again because the league and their refs will make sure it doesn't happen.

There’s no revenue growth in Canadian Markets. We’ll always get the short end of the stick from now on.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Blues broadcast thinks they played the best hockey of their year. Pretty easy to look good up on the PP all game.
Yep pretty much a full period on the PP after the Oilers scored the 3rd goal the Refs were nope not happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad