Proposal: Oilers team next year what will it look like; what would you do

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
MacT has pretty well stated that the players signed now will be on the team next year. He had a chance to move Ference & Purcell for late picks but wanted to keep them for the veteran presence for next year.

Here is what we are going in with for next year:

Hall; RNH; Eberle - 18mil
Pouliot: $; Yak(2.5)- 6.5mil
?; Lander .800; Purcel- 5.3mil
Hendricks; Gordon; Klink- 5.75mil
Spare players - 1.7mil

I am not saying these are the pairing but this is what we have for dmen

Nikitin; Fayne- 8.175mil
Klefbom; Schultz- 5.675(I am guessing Klef at 2mil and Schultz the same cap hit)
Ference; ? - 3.25
Spare dman- .900

Scrivens - 2.3mil

Total cap hit - 57.55mil
I am guessing the cap will be at 70 mil leaving us with 12.45mil to sign a 2C; 3rd line left winger; a dman and a goalie

MacT has already stated that he will not be trading away any of the players to improve another position. He is keeping our 1st round pick but the other picks are available.

ON a positive note Purcel; Nikitin, Gordon, & Scrivens are all of the books next year giving us cap space of 14.3mil

What is the best you can do to improve this team for next year?
Resign Roy
Go after Boychuk
Go after Soderberg
Who can you trade for realistically without moving players on this team now?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think they chase Boychuck but I'm not sure they land him. Marincin gets the 6 spot.

They sign Roy to a 1 year deal, start Draisaitl in the minors, move Roy at the deadline and promote Draisaitl.

Nurse starts in the AHL, replaces Nikitin when he gets hurt/traded. Probably not enough time in the minors for him but Oil gonna Oil.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Really hard to care what they do at this point. It's obvious now that MacT's plan is basically the same as Tambellini's: find plugs to fill out the roster and the youth is fully developed and dominant. Problem is, these young guys need more than plugs to help them develop, and the plugs that MacT has found are terrible and can't fill the need effectively.

Step one in the offseason should be canning Lowe and MacT. But that isn't likely.

MacT needs to add 1-2 goalies. Going after Anderson is my preference, but he won't come cheaply as there is no reason for the Sens to move him.

He also needs to add 2 legit NHL defensemen. I'd be going hard after Green and Boychuk. I'd also look at trying to take advantage of CHI's cap situation to see if you could get Hjarlemsson for a pick(s) at the draft.

A big C like Soderberg would be ideal, but it's a pipe dream.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Go after the teams in cap trouble (Hawks, Bruins). Boychuk would be nice but if Isles go on good run, why would he come here? If we finish in the bottom 3, pick Hanifin if the other two are gone.
With the possibility of 7 picks in the first 3 rounds, there is much room for trading. Would Boston take a 2nd for MacQuaid? What about Oduya in Chicago?
With the other 1st, we must get a goalie. If MacT walks away from this draft with ten 18 yr old kids, it is a fail.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Really hard to care what they do at this point. It's obvious now that MacT's plan is basically the same as Tambellini's: find plugs to fill out the roster and the youth is fully developed and dominant. Problem is, these young guys need more than plugs to help them develop, and the plugs that MacT has found are terrible and can't fill the need effectively.

Step one in the offseason should be canning Lowe and MacT. But that isn't likely.

MacT needs to add 1-2 goalies. Going after Anderson is my preference, but he won't come cheaply as there is no reason for the Sens to move him.

He also needs to add 2 legit NHL defensemen. I'd be going hard after Green and Boychuk. I'd also look at trying to take advantage of CHI's cap situation to see if you could get Hjarlemsson for a pick(s) at the draft.

A big C like Soderberg would be ideal, but it's a pipe dream.

that's basically it. Its obvious the ownership isn't in a hurry. They have two more years inwhich remaining in the bottom 5 is acceptable.

I would go after Bernier, Boychuk, and whatever quality D is available. I suspect he'll get a goalie and trade Marincin + Pittsburg's 1st for a decent D.

They'll be marginally better next year.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'd fire MacTavish and Lowe. If that doesn't happen then nothing else matters.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Dump Ference, Purcell, Nikitin.

Acquire Ehrhoff, Boychuk and Craig Anderson.

A healthy Oilers roster.

Oilers will be competing for playoffs next season no doubt.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yak
Pakarinen-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Ehrhoff-Boychuk
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
To be a playoff threat, we need:

-Starting goalie
-2 Centers
-An entire top pairing

Need to fill all of those holes without creating any others, and then we need to pray for a relatively injury free season since the organizational depth is non existent at every position that isn't LD.

...Gonna be bad next year too

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Top 4 Dman signed, not Boychuk.
Niemi signed.
Re-sign Roy.
Sign a replacement for Fraser on Lander's wing.
Fail to seduce Babcock, extend Nelson for two years.

That's what will happen, and we'll finish 20th-23rd.

Fans are ********, but management only cares about what happens in the new arena. Drai, Nurse, and Hanifin come in the following season, and our ****** contracts come off the books. Purcell, Nikitin, specifically. Gordon will leave, but he's taught Lander enough to take over as checking center with Hendricks and maybe Pakman.

We keep Roy around to play on our final line with perhaps Yakimov and Slepyshev. Or whomever is busting the door down at the time.

Draisaitl is ready to be a 2C, and centers Hall and Yak.

MacT finally throws the kitchen sink at a legit #1D, and upgrades Niemi in goal.

We either make the playoffs, or miss by a bit in '16-17. As a team that's still way too young, but with a vet #1D and a legit starter behind them.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Dump Ference, Purcell, Nikitin.

Acquire Ehrhoff, Boychuk and Craig Anderson.

A healthy Oilers roster.

Oilers will be competing for playoffs next season no doubt.

Well MacT is not going to dump those 3 players as stated.

Sounds like Boychuk wants crazy money like more than 36mil over 6 yrs.

What is the max length and cap hit a year would you give Boychuk?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well MacT is not going to dump those 3 players as stated.

Sounds like Boychuk wants crazy money like more than 36mil over 6 yrs.

What is the max length and cap hit a year would you give Boychuk?

He's 31. 6.5 x 6 years. He will be trending down in about 4 years. So preferably 7M x 4 years.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oilers need 5 pieces to become competitive:

-#1 Goalie
-Two top-4 defencemen...one to replace Petry and a real top guy for once
-Vet Center
-vet top 6 winger to replace Perron

-Oilers sign Craig Anderson/Niemi
-throw gobs of money at Boychuk/Green, and Michalek
-sign Roy
-trade for a Schenn-type player (as an example!)...a team thats up against the cap needing to shed salary...probably takes the Pittsburgh 1st and plus a prospect to pry him outta Philly...can play center or wing

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Schenn-Roy-Yak
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Klink-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic

Draisaitl in the AHL

Michalek-Boychuk
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Nikitin

Nurse in the AHL

Niemi
Scrivens

a competitive team with no 18 years old as saviours (unless McEichel is here)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I have seen this too many times now.

The Oilers will chase whatever 3rd line LW played well(from a Corsi standpoint) in the playoffs and overpay him. They will sign Roy and one of Enroth or Budaj. They will say that they tried to sign a top 4D, but they won't actually do it. They will trade Marincin for a pick at the draft because they 'really like X player' probably a goalie. They will draft Crouse with our 2015 pick while the rest of the league laughs at them. And 50/50 that MacT dumps Yakupov to the Habs for a song. If Yak is traded, expect Crouse to get forced into the lineup too early.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov/Crouse
Overpayed 3rd liner - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer

Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Fayne
Ference - Oesterle/Nurse

Scrivens
Enroth/Budaj

The Oilers will be out of the playoffs by the end of October and Hall and RNH will ask for trades.

I'm not going to say what I would do because I am tired of dreaming of fantasies that would actually help the team that this management team wouldn't ever even consider doing.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i'm not sure what MacT is going to actually be able to do on the UFA market or the draft or summer trade market, but it's disheartening to hear him say he's somewhat satisfied going into next year with a D core of Nikitin, Ference, Fayne, Klefbom and Schultz....it's not nearly a good enough defense! he also has to decide it Marincin or Oesterle fit into the equation? still those 7 guys and Scrivens in goal don't exactly give me goosebumps!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hopes for next season:

1: we land a top 4 d-man in the off-season
2:resign roy
3: Leon and Nurse spend tons of time in the AHL.
4: Give roy 2 years
5: Unless we're offered an amazing deal, don't trade either of those 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.
6: Give Nelson 2 more years
7: If things aren't going right on many fronts, trade one of Hall for a #1 or #2 d-man and a winger who can skate fast and constantly pressure the opposition in all zones. I'm looking for another Pouliot like player, but I'd like someone a little meaner. He doesn't need to be Lucic, but he can't be as useless as Clarkson, either.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think we just misunderstood when Lowe originally said the rebuild was going to take 4-6 years... he actually meant 46 years.

Just watch... the 2050's will be the decade of the Oilers.

My cryogenically preserved head is looking forward to enjoying the fruits of our current impatience and seeming hopelessness.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Umm... pardon? on a positive note, we might lose our Selke calibre centerman?

it is cap room I would love to keep Gordon but we can't be paying 3mil for our 4th line centreman. I would resign him to 2mil a year after this contract is over.

Players that I can see moving at next years deadline are:
Nikitin
Purcell
Gordon-Would he want to stay on a rebuild team when he will be in high demand.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I have seen this too many times now.

The Oilers will chase whatever 3rd line LW played well(from a Corsi standpoint) in the playoffs and overpay him. They will sign Roy and one of Enroth or Budaj. They will say that they tried to sign a top 4D, but they won't actually do it. They will trade Marincin for a pick at the draft because they 'really like X player' probably a goalie. They will draft Crouse with our 2015 pick while the rest of the league laughs at them. And 50/50 that MacT dumps Yakupov to the Habs for a song. If Yak is traded, expect Crouse to get forced into the lineup too early.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov/Crouse
Overpayed 3rd liner - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer

Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Fayne
Ference - Oesterle/Nurse

Scrivens
Enroth/Budaj

The Oilers will be out of the playoffs by the end of October and Hall and RNH will ask for trades.

I'm not going to say what I would do because I am tired of dreaming of fantasies that would actually help the team that this management team wouldn't ever even consider doing.

MacT stated that he is not going to trade Yak, doesn't mean he won't but I don't see it. Of course they won't sign any top 4 dmen as they will all want to be way over paid that will just really hurt this team 3 yrs down the road.

Would you pay Boychuk 7 yrs at 6.5-7mil because that is what he will want. There is no way I would do that. He is good but how many dmen are still productive after 35 very few.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The team will look exactly the same as it does today except we will sign some ****** back up goalie.

Prospects who are not prepared to play in the NHL will be used to fill holes the incompetent GM could not fill. This will have a negative effect on the prospects and they will never develop properly.

Another bottom 5 finish.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The team will look exactly the same as it does today except we will sign some ****** back up goalie.

Prospects who are not prepared to play in the NHL will be used to fill holes the incompetent GM could not fill. This will have a negative effect on the prospects and they will never develop properly.

Another bottom 5 finish.

Bottom 3 finish with the D we'll be going into next year with, by my guess.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Whatever happened the Russian concept? That their economy is tanking with players being free to find other other opportunities.

Are there players with NHL experience we should be pursuing? Are the Oilers scouting over there?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Looks like a lot of posters are vastly underrating the disparity of our blueline.

No, 'a top-4 d-man' isn't enough.

If we want to make the playoffs, we need a #1, a #2, and a #3 d-man.
If Schultz and/or Klefbom made a huuuge step forward by next season, we might only need two top-3 d-men.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad