Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Noah Philp of the UofA Golden Bears (Update: coming out of retirement)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nobody mentioned it much but Philp was huge in Canada West playoffs and in CIS Championships. He scored 2 as well in the Final but unfortunately Bears lost in double OT after having a 2 goal lead twice. Heartbreaker loss for the Bears just last weekend. Could be the most talented Bears player in a longwhile. While I got to see him multiple times not as much as I would have liked due to Covid and avoiding going to games due to that and games being cancelled as well. Nice to see Philps was not impacted career wise and still got enough exposure. What a thrilling time it must be for him to get this contract. Imagine the bump from being a student to this kind of coin. I mean even if you don't make it this contract is life altering.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I cant understand. I mean, I dont know his personal circumstances so I cant judge too harshly, but its crazy to pass up a chance at accumulating generational wealth for your family in just a couple of short years of work. And playing a game as a profession. He had enough potential to justify sticking it out at least 1 more year to see if the big ticket materialized (i can understand not grinding it out riding busses for the next 15 years on a wing and a prayer but still having an NHL shot and at worst a chance at a solid european payday is kind of a bummer to pass up). Must be serious health concerns for someone close to him, or himself. Sad news, love to root for guys like him. Hope he doesnt come to regret it.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Wasn’t part of the black aces. Obviously made this decision awhile ago. As an older prospect $80000 is much. Hope this wasn’t due to Holland not offering a one way contract. With Bugstad probably gone he definitely had a shot at the roster

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
All due respect, I'm sure he's going through a lot to make such a decision but this seems like a decision he's going to regret. I think he could have easily taken the extra forward spot and been within a 3 hour drive to Calgary much of the season.

This makes it much more likely that they will have to get a guy like Toews for the 4C. Bjugstad and Philp out is a massive loss for C depth.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I can't really blame him.

He's made $150-200k playing hockey. Might as well do what you really want to rather than ride a bus for a few years.

Reactions: alanschu

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

He's made $150-200k playing hockey. Might as well do what you really want to rather than ride a bus for a few years.
$200k is a good coin for any 24 year old and that's from playing hockey too

Hopefully he's not retiring due to some girl breaking his heart like some are stating on Instagram

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

I can lol the likelihood he finds a job after hockey where he makes this much coin while getting a 3 month vacation after seasons end is pretty much nil.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Philip retiring stings only because he had a good showing in his first year in the AHL and was in the Oilers long term plans! That really sucks and now if Kostin decides to take the money and run to the KHL, we'll be losing a pretty valuable budding power forward as well. :confused:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Getting paid to play your favorite sport isn't everything to everyone. For Philp he likes 9-5s
And when he has less financial stability in the future because of it he may regret his decision is my point. Falling into a career where you get to make that type of money and you aren't forced to go overseas for it is a tough pill to swallow to walk away from looking from the outside.

Money isn't everything to everyone.
Tell that to all the Joe's who get no vacation or sick time and have to work 10 plus hours a day to crack 50 k a year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
And when he has less financial stability in the future because of it he may regret his decision is my point. Falling into a career where you get to make that type of money and you aren't forced to go overseas for it is a tough pill to swallow to walk away from looking from the outside.

Tell that to all the Joe's who get no vacation or sick time and have to work 10 plus hours a day to crack 50 k a year.
That’s why I said it isn’t everything to everyone. If he isn’t happy playing hockey for a living what’s that to anyone else, regardless of what he could make? Maybe he wants to have a family and be close to them. Maybe he doesn’t want to grind out in the minors. People living their life based solely on financial gain aren’t always happy. Being content in life is far more valuable in my opinion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

You can't be successful in hockey even in AHL or lower rungs if you don't love it. If you stop loving a sport you stop having any capacity to improve in it. So that quitting is then the right thing to do if you now hate playing. Even first picks in the NHL have gone on to retire. For the reasons I stated they just stopped liking the game.

hasn't anybody ever had that experience. You just stop liking something? I stopped liking my job. Fortunately that was around the time of retirement anyway. Something that i had loved for decades I had learned to despise. There was no going back. If I wanted to go back to fulltime work it would have to be something else. People have their reasons. Just with them luck.

A lot of athletes continue with a sport just further to scholarship and getting what they need from it. Then they just stop playing and pursuing it. Not saying its the case here but is for a lot of athletes across all disciplines.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You can't be successful in hockey even in AHL or lower rungs if you don't love it. If you stop loving a sport you stop having any capacity to improve in it. So that quitting is then the right thing to do if you now hate playing. Even first picks in the NHL have gone on to retire. For the reasons I stated they just stopped liking the game.

hasn't anybody ever had that experience. You just stop liking something? I stopped liking my job. Fortunately that was around the time of retirement anyway. Something that i had loved for decades I had learned to despise. There was no going back. If I wanted to go back to fulltime work it would have to be something else. People have their reasons. Just with them luck.

A lot of athletes continue with a sport just further to scholarship and getting what they need from it. Then they just stop playing and pursuing it. Not saying its the case here but is for a lot of athletes across all disciplines.
You did pharmaceutical?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad