Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nevermind, time to throw our hands up in sadness and empathy? Is that what we're doing.

Yeah, that's Cheap for a guy who you think can challenge your starter.
Well that's the rub, isn't it? They THINK he can. They don't know. And if he doesn't they're stuck with him for another year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Nevermind, time to throw our hands up in sadness and empathy? Is that what we're doing.

Yeah, that's Cheap for a guy who you think can challenge your starter.

$2.5M and two years is fine for a guy with a track record whom you can reasonably expect to push your starter. For an unknown guy who is 29 and has played all of 4 NHL games it's a gross overpay.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well that's the rub, isn't it? They THINK he can. They don't know. And if he doesn't they're stuck with him for another year.
You think you’re signing a goalie for 2.5m that you know can challenge your starter?

Not a chance

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Cheap? That's pricy. I'd have paid $1.5 million. No wonder he jumped at the chance of signing here. He'd better be really good.

Koskinen was one of the best earning goaltenders in the Eurasian free market so of course he won't come there to just spectate games and earn less. You are paying 4,1 million dollars for your back-up goaltender Talbot so it should be fine deal financially.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

dem

Mar 17, 2002
2.5 should buy you a proven backup.. Not Anders Nilsson 2.0

Bad deal until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was solid when here and allowed Talbot some time to find his game

3.14GAA and .900 Save % on the year is not what I would call solid. Nilsson had one brief stint all season where he wasn't being exposed. From Nov 20, 2015, -Dec 6, 2016 Nilsson had good numbers. Total of an 8 game stint. But he's rarely ever found that kind of success. That brief couple of weeks he had way different numbers than his overall work here or since.

He's a goalie that is easily exploited at this level.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The fact we're paying him twice as much as our previous backup really worries me. And for two years at that.

If they bury him he counts as 1.5 mil against the cap IF he signs for that. Small risk if he comes over and plays like he did across the pond.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Koskinen was one of the best earning goaltenders in the Eurasian free market so of course he won't come there to just spectate games and earn less. You are paying 4,1 million dollars for your back-up goaltender Talbot so it should be fine deal financially.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
lmao. Lets see who the backup ends up being. Talbot was one of the best goalies in the NHL just last season. No reason to believe he won't be great here again.

But of course Koskinen is Finnish, so I've come to expect the hyperbole here. I look forward to a special cheering section next season where like Puljujarvi, Koskinen is our best player..

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After thinking about it for a couple of days, I had it in the back of my mind that he isn't signing to be a backup playing 20-25 games. He's going to be gunning for a starters job so if he comes as advertised, Talbot better be looking over his shoulder.

That’s exactly what we need, a goalie to push Talbot. We can save the $1M we spent on Montoya by sending him to Bakersfield or trading him in the off season but I’d go in with 3 goalies and have the goaltending depth we haven’t had in decades.

Market dictates and for that money comes expectations he’s starting 35 games.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers had an abundance of cap space I would say this would be a solid gamble. But for next year it does get tight unless the plan is to either stay pretty much pat with the rest of the roster or to move out a big ticket player. Now if they move Nuge who is the only big ticket guy they might move with any value just "to make space" then that would be stupid.

Reactions: dawunderboy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For those that don't like this move. Who would you suggest otherwise?

We need a back up. And we got the most in demand backup available this off season it seems.

Reactions: Ck1

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
lmao. Lets see who the backup ends up being. Talbot was one of the best goalies in the NHL just last season. No reason to believe he won't be great here again.

You had also one of the best playbooks in the whole NHL infront of Talbot who has done nothing since the lockout which would suggest he is at Koskinen's level or superior to him. I don't know about he Northern American discourse but in Finland we tend to take the context in mind and goalie is of course continuation of his team.

I would expect it to begin with 50-50 chances with Koskinen taking over the job full-time. Take in example Bobrovski in the lockout season. He had put great numbers for SKA yet Steve Mason got the nod at first, only to lose it to Bobrovski who had enjoyed some Finnish goaltending coaching during the lockout. Well Bobrovski then won the Vezina trophy that season while mister Mason swapped diocese.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For those that don't like this move. Who would you suggest otherwise?

Chad Johnson, Ondrej Pavelec, Jaro Halak, Carter Hutton, Anton Khudobin? There's always tons of NHL-calibre options out there.

I mean, this could pay off, but it's a pretty big gamble. More to the point, Chia is now batting 100 on seasons where they've started without a proven NHL back up.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad