Line Combos: Oilers Recent Chemistry Review

Koto

May 3, 2011
All you need to know is Horcoff wins games.

Also, Wreck-it-Ralph.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I've really liked

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky

and

MPS-Gagner-Yakupov

HHH can play hard minutes and produce offense, they all have chemistry from years previous so it's no surprise that this line is working. I also like the look of the lineup better when Hall is away from RNH and Eberle, just brings more balance.

The Gagner line has been good as well, MPS and Gagner have had chemistry since Magnus' rookie year and you can tell that MPS really likes playing with Gagner, their styles compliment eachother well. MPS also brings a little bit of defensive awareness to a line that is lacking that a bit. I like it.

Now RNH-Eberle plus the rotating left winger has left a lot to be desired this year. I don't know what it is but RNH and Eberle haven't been playing very well together this season. Kreuger needs to continue to feed them soft minutes so they can build some offensive confidence.

Would really like a better LW to play with them than Jones though.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky

Pajarrvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Those are my two favourite lines. Ideally if we could put a big scoring winger or at least an upgrade on jones for the RNH and Eberle line that would be sweet. Down the road or hopefully next year I would like to see Ryan Smyth replaced by a big, fast skating centre on that fourth line who can hit.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Each line fills these needs:

Scorer (Yak, Hall, Eberle)
Playmaker (RNH, Hemsky, Paajarvi/Gagner)
Forechecker (Gagner/Paajarvi, Hall, Hartkianen/Jones)
Defensive guy (Horcoff, RNH, Paajarvi)
Energy guy (Hall, Gagner, Yakupov)
Power guy (Hall, Paajarvi, Hartkianen/Jones)

Kulleroinen*

We would be good to go, if we could replace the black hole called Jones on offensive lines. At the moment, I would rather see Omark than him...

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
We would be good to go, if we could replace the black hole called Jones on offensive lines. At the moment, I would rather see Hartikanen than him...

Fixed that for ya.

I'm getting pretty sick of the team trying to play Jones in roles where he can't excel. Actually, I'm just pretty tired of Jones in general.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All you need to know is Horcoff wins games.

Also, Wreck-it-Ralph.

As evidenced by the previous 6 years before this 5 game bubble in which he lead the team in ice time for forwards each year and the oilers excelled so brilliantly.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
As evidenced by the previous 6 years before this 5 game bubble in which he lead the team in ice time for forwards each year and the oilers excelled so brilliantly.

Since he was named Captain The Oilers have a

.475ish Win/Loss with him in the lineup and a .306ish win/loss with him out.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I've really liked

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky

and

MPS-Gagner-Yakupov

HHH can play hard minutes and produce offense, they all have chemistry from years previous so it's no surprise that this line is working. I also like the look of the lineup better when Hall is away from RNH and Eberle, just brings more balance.

The Gagner line has been good as well, MPS and Gagner have had chemistry since Magnus' rookie year and you can tell that MPS really likes playing with Gagner, their styles compliment eachother well. MPS also brings a little bit of defensive awareness to a line that is lacking that a bit. I like it.

Now RNH-Eberle plus the rotating left winger has left a lot to be desired this year. I don't know what it is but RNH and Eberle haven't been playing very well together this season. Kreuger needs to continue to feed them soft minutes so they can build some offensive confidence.

Would really like a better LW to play with them than Jones though.

What does HFOil think about putting petrell on the LW on that line and having a fourth line of Jones-Smyth-Brown?

I wouldn't be adverse to "promoting" petrell to that line. His goal last game was probably an easy one given the 2 on 1 but still was a laser. He could help out with puck possession as well. It seems as though RNH/Eberle haven't been winning as many battles along the boards, and having a guy like Petrell on the LW could open up some more space for them?

:dunno:

EDIT: also, that leaves a fourth line that is gritty as hell...

Koto

May 3, 2011
theres only one problem with that thought.

petrell is soooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. hes like jones 0.5.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
theres only one problem with that thought.

petrell is soooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. hes like jones 0.5.

They've seriously tried everyone else though.....Hall, Jones, Smyth, Paajarvi, Hartikainen.

Maybe the best solution is to just split them up for a few games then?:cry:

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Jones- Horcoff - Hemsky
Brown-Smyth-Petrell

Consider switching Smyth and Jones

The two pairs I generally wouldn't want to mess with would be "Paajarvi-Gagner" and "Horcoff-Hemsky"

again... :dunno:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
They've seriously tried everyone else though.....Hall, Jones, Smyth, Paajarvi, Hartikainen.

Maybe the best solution is to just split them up for a few games then?:cry:

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Jones- Horcoff - Hemsky
Brown-Smyth-Petrell

Consider switching Smyth and Jones

The two pairs I generally wouldn't want to mess with would be "Paajarvi-Gagner" and "Horcoff-Hemsky"

again... :dunno:

I wouldn't change the PRV-Gag-Yak and HHH lines at the moment. PRV likes to play with Gagner, that's obvious, but lately he's also expressed that he likes playing with Yakupov although he said it takes some time to understand the movements and game of said player. I think they are already good but it may be good to keep Yakupov on the line for a bit longer, if what PRV says is true then it could be possible that this line, once this line figure themselves out, could be deadly.

Also I don't like moving Hall away from Horc and Hemmer. I think his very presence raises the game of these guys. Maybe I'm wrong but to be they seem to raise their game when playing with Hall.

I think that they should try to put Jones on the RNH/Ebs line for 5-6 games straight. He may be a bit off pace but there's a really good energy player in there and with a scoring touch. I know patience isn't the strong side of hfboards, or management by the way, but I think they need more time.

Koto

May 3, 2011
yeah i like those lines, but im also content with the current ones atm.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Since he was named Captain The Oilers have a

.475ish Win/Loss with him in the lineup and a .306ish win/loss with him out.

He's part of the problem, not the solution. Don't worry, he is back on the 1st line now, still getting prime pp time and back to being below 50% on the dot and back to 'playing all the hard minutes' things are as they always are.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov has been their most consistent line since being put together. Every game seems like they're creating chances offensively, and Paajarvi and Gagner have more than enough defensive awareness to cover Yakupov.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov has been their most consistent line since being put together. Every game seems like they're creating chances offensively, and Paajarvi and Gagner have more than enough defensive awareness to cover Yakupov.

To be honest, I don't think Yakupov has been that bad defensively. Some of his back-checking / fast skating has been quite responsible for a young rookie.

But I agree this line has been great together.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
So what is Paajarvi bringing to the Gagner line over Hemsky? I'm guessing size.

Has Hemsky been a better fit with Horcoff & Hall? If so, is it because Horcoff & Hall play bigger, more straight-line games than Gagner & Yak?

Chemistry and defensive play mainly IMO. Hemsky and Gagner both want to carry the puck, it doesn't work too well. They were getting slaughtered in +/- before the change was made.

He's part of the problem, not the solution. Don't worry, he is back on the 1st line now, still getting prime pp time and back to being below 50% on the dot and back to 'playing all the hard minutes' things are as they always are.

The Edmonton Oilers are without question a better team when Shaw Horcoff is in the lineup. That's not an opinion it's a fact. The numbers support it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad