Speculation: Oilers preparing to move Lucic?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting to see if he'll actually end up somewhere else by the fall?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Lucic has a NMC on top of the term and AAV he got?

Yeah, as per Cap Friendly:

June 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 8 teams he can be traded to / July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 - Modified NTC: Submits a list of 10 teams he can be traded to

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lucic has more value to NHL GMs and coaches than he does to HFBoards capologists. He's still a young power-forward who's regularly in the top end of the league in hits and averages around 40 to 50 points a season. Those players are hard to find. I don't think he's likely to get a significant return, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similarly maligned player with a heavy contract as the kind of return he nets.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Lucic has more value to NHL GMs and coaches than he does to HFBoards capologists. He's still a young power-forward who's regularly in the top end of the league in hits and averages around 40 to 50 points a season. Those players are hard to find. I don't think he's likely to get a significant return, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similarly maligned player with a heavy contract as the kind of return he nets.

Except he’s not young anymore and his numbers looks more and more like Simon/probie

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
More than likely Lucic is on the team come next season, and Klef is shipped out. I'd take that bet. He can appear on the trade bait list as many times as he wants, doesn't mean they can move him,

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except he’s not young anymore and his numbers looks more and more like Simon/probie
He just turned 30 today. He's still relatively young in terms of a professional hockey player's career. Players generally produce into their mid thirties.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Recently tweeted:

Need to take a really, really bad contract back, or retain half or add a 1st to get rid of that.

He's at the end of his prime, he doesn't have any high end skills to keep his game well over 30, and contract like that is an anchor.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

No he doesn't and no he isn't. His days of being a reliable top 6 producer are over. The game is far too fast and his contract far too big. The only way he nets any kind of return at all is if you attach the 10th overall pick to him, and even then teams would be wary.

North

Jun 25, 2009
No he doesn't and no he isn't. His days of being a reliable top 6 producer are over. The game is far too fast and his contract far too big. The only way he nets any kind of return at all is if you attach the 10th overall pick to him, and even then teams would be wary.

He started last season very well. He hit the skids in the latter half of the season but seems to understand he has some work to put in during the off season in order to bounce back. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

You might be right. Lucic was a lock for 50 points for 8 years or so, but it might be the game has changed enough where he can't do that anymore. I guess we'll see if last year was an outlier or if that is the new norm for him. No one can say for sure one way or another.

If there are only takers for Lucic if the 10 oa is attached I highly doubt Edmonton deals him. They're more likely to make him a compliance buyout when the CBA expires. That being said there are a lot of rumors flying about the media in the city right now. It might be a better deal than you suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad