Post-Game Talk: Oilers (McDavid 2) 2 - Sabres 1 (Eichel 0)

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think most fans want the refs to get the call right as well...especially in the playoffs.

I think fans are just way to overboard nowadays. Maybe in the playoffs intensify it and look over things with a fine tooth comb.

My only thing I hate is that they were examining one thing and Bylsma challenged on something else, because he had more information at his disposal after seeing the full play.

See the NHL should follow a protocol where it's essentially under the booth review where Bylsma or anyone from either team couldn't see the play. Then to see if Bylsma really seen it was Lander he would be given a list of players on the ice (if he didn't know them all) and the refs could review who he thought was offside.

It's just to easy to have another team score and then a coach say check if it was offside. Even in football you can only challenge one existing play, and not the surrounding factors. Basically unless the player you challenge is involved in the scoring play you can't challenge if it was offside or there was any infractions or missed calls. You don't get everything right, but you shouldn't have to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
17 goals against in the last 4 games with Justin Schultz

6 goals against in the 4 games without Justin Schultz

Hmmmmmm. It's not like the quality of competition was that different either (Anaheim, Minny, Colorado, Ottawa vs. LAK, Anaheim, NYI, and Buffalo).

I liked Pardy's game and Cracknell was solid too. We went about this rebuild entirely wrong, we never should've gotten away from having a good supply of seasoned, hard-nosed gritty players around the skill guys. Hanging on to Hemsky instead of Penner was a mistake too, even though he isn't super gritty, he was still hard on the cycle.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think fans are just way to overboard nowadays. Maybe in the playoffs intensify it and look over things with a fine tooth comb.

My only thing I hate is that they were examining one thing and Bylsma challenged on something else, because he had more information at his disposal after seeing the full play.

See the NHL should follow a protocol where it's essentially under the booth review where Bylsma or anyone from either team couldn't see the play. Then to see if Bylsma really seen it was Lander he would be given a list of players on the ice (if he didn't know them all) and the refs could review who he thought was offside.

It's just to easy to have another team score and then a coach say check if it was offside. Even in football you can only challenge one existing play, and not the surrounding factors. Basically unless the player you challenge is involved in the scoring play you can't challenge if it was offside or there was any infractions or missed calls. You don't get everything right, but you shouldn't have to.

The thing is that I dont think you can just ramp up the technology usage in the playoff's...there has to be consistency and an opportunity to use the technology during the regular season.

Just my opinion.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
The thing is that I dont think you can just ramp up the technology usage in the playoff's...there has to be consistency and an opportunity to use the technology during the regular season.

Just my opinion.

I think we all have to agree you just can't ever be 100% correct. With or without technology there will be error.

It's more about being definitive in the parts of the game that have direct effect and impact on the game.

It's just we analyze and break the game down way to much with technology. The consistency will be shown in calling the appropriate penalties, fair and equal treatment of the play and players being called, and just in general sound assessment of the game itself. There is always going to be points in any sports where one play directly changed the game, and other times that one time it will have no effect.

My feelings are you can't have a hindsight approach which Bylsma and many other coaches have had by being able to review the game. See the teaching and learning tool should be used by referees in terms of how we get calls right, but you can't have 16,000+ fans and coaches and everyone evaluating every play. Unless a ref is totally bad there going to catch and understand the important parts of games and what should be called, and what shouldn't be.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
One of my biggest problems with the coaches challenge is why if it is inconclusive, do you still lose it?

Also why is it not decided by the "war room"?

Not that it matters, it should be gotten rid of.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
One of my biggest problems with the coaches challenge is why if it is inconclusive, do you still lose it?

Also why is it not decided by the "war room"?

Not that it matters, it should be gotten rid of.

There are two things I would do to change it.

1) Make it a delay of game penalty if you're wrong to discourage coaches from using it either "just cuz" or to get a longer time-out.

and

2) Have the war-room in Toronto make the call.

Other than those two changes, they need to clearly define what constitutes goal-tender interference. If they want to go with the "zero-tolerance" method, than you damn well better call it that way every time. Personally, I don't think goalie interference should even be allowed to be challenged, and left in the hands of the on-ice official's judgement. It makes zero-sense for the NHL to say it wants more scoring, and then proceed to waive off a hundred goals a season because a goalie gets sneezed on.

Just my opinion.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the game

- Really liked Pardy. He's like Gryba but good. Has the same physicality of Gryba but faster and seems better with the puck. If we're choosing between the two to offer a one-year extension to, I'd rather Pardy. But obviously it's jut one game.
- Would have liked to see more out of Yak. I realize he must feel an enormous amount of pressure in this situation, but this is the NHL. You need to capitalize on your chances when they are presented or it could be your last. He's a mess positionally.
- Buffalo is absolutely terrible
in their own end at times. I can't remember over the past several years when the Oilers have been able to sustain that amount of pressure in the offensive zone. We might be the worst team in the league at offensive zone possession but ran the show tonight.
- Both goalies had a great game. It's so refreshing to have a goalie we can finally rely on. Years of torment have left me nervous still every game I wait for 'that inevitable soft goal' will go in. It doesn't anymore (most of the time).
- Didn't see a ton of Cracknell tonight in his limited role but he seems like another Hendricks, which is a thumbs up from me.
- Still can't believe we ended up with McDavid. Absolutely nuts.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
McDavid and Eberle do not work 5on5. I assume they're trying to boost Ebs value for the offseason, but I think moving Eberle up with Hall and Drai would be better.

Maroon/Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
It sure seems like Yak is starting to figure out the defensive side of the game. I remember a couple times tonight where he was able to disrupt Eichel on the backcheck. Am I alone here or are other people seeing this too..?

He had a solid game pressuring the puck in the neutral zone. Trouble with Yak is once the puck is on his stick he has absolutely no idea what to do next. It's as though, faced with a sudden rush of options (skate? pass? shoot?!) his mind blows. The play where he got decked inside the buffalo line was a case in point. Makes a good move to beat one guy and instead of chipping it or looking for a pass, he puts his head down to try and beat another man and gets crushed.Honestly don't know what to do with this kid as he's just not able to think the game at this level it seems, but he's got the work ethic (though it may well be a case of working hard and not smart) and he's such a likeable character that I'd hate to see him elsewhere.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
McDavid and Eberle do not work 5on5. I assume they're trying to boost Ebs value for the offseason, but I think moving Eberle up with Hall and Drai would be better.

Maroon/Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle

Well Ebs and Yak have played almost the exact same number of minutes with McDavid now 5 on 5:

McDavid and Ebs together:

TOI= 157:19
GFper60= 4.20
GAper60= 4.20
GF%= 50.0
CFper60=62.55
CAper60=52.25
CF%= 54.5%
Face-offs: O-zone= 33.0%, D-zone= 34.6%, N-zone=32.4%

McDavid and Yak together:
TOI= 149:11
GFper60= 4.02
GAper60= 3.62
GF%= 52.6
CFper60=57.51
CAper60=53.49
CF%= 51.8
Face-offs: O-zone=38.2%, D-zone= 17.6%, N-zone= 44.3%

So Yak and McDavid had a better GF% and GAper60 when together, but were very sheltered with respect to defensive zone starts. In the other stat metrics it appears that Eberle and McDavid are better together, based on prior interviews I do get the feeling that McDavid prefers playing with Eberle over Yak as well if that counts for anything.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Connor McDavid returned to the lineup on Feb 2. He has since played fifteen games through last night. Most shifts have been with Eberle. During that time:

McDavid 7-12-19 +1
Eberle 9-8-17 even

Both guys over PPG pace. People complaining about that need to seriously re-evaluate their expectations.

Now consider the oft repeated falsehood that Eberle and McDavid "do not work 5on5". :dunce:

McDavid on the PP over these fifteen games: 0-4-4. That's right fifteen of his nineteen points have been at evens - you know where "him and Eberle don't work".

Eberle on the PP over these fifteen games: 3-2-5. So twelve of Eberle's seventeen points have been 5on5.

Eberle and McDavid are fitting together very nicely. Buffalo announcers were very complimentary of Eberle's play, stating the exact opposite of hfoil fans when noting that Eberle seems to know when to carry the puck and when to defer to McDavid.

The only people who think Eberle/McDavid isn't working are fans who for some reason think a slot on McDavid's wing was Yakupov's birthright. And I can see that for sure. I mean who doesn't want one of the worst players on the roster as the wingman for your new franchise center.

I feel confident that Yakupov can definitely do better than Eberle's 1.13 PPG and 0.8 5on5 PPG - and do it facing tough competition and not falling into the deep minus territory. All this while folks who don't like Eberle have been insisting all season long, and louder than ever over the last fifteen games, that the guy who scores the most goals is the guy we don't need. He's the complimentary guy and the stats padder.

Meanwhile Yakupov has like fifteen points on the entire season. Eberle decimated Yak's entire season in one month of games. Most of it 5on5.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Connor McDavid returned to the lineup on Feb 2. He has since played fifteen games through last night. Most shifts have been with Eberle. During that time:

McDavid 7-12-19 +1
Eberle 9-8-17 even

Both guys over PPG pace. People complaining about that need to seriously re-evaluate their expectations.

Now consider the oft repeated falsehood that Eberle and McDavid "do not work 5on5". :dunce:

McDavid on the PP over these fifteen games: 0-4-4. That's right fifteen of his nineteen points have been at evens - you know where "him and Eberle don't work".

Eberle on the PP over these fifteen games: 3-2-5. So twelve of Eberle's seventeen points have been 5on5.

Eberle and McDavid are fitting together very nicely. Buffalo announcers were very complimentary of Eberle's play, stating the exact opposite of hfoil fans when noting that Eberle seems to know when to carry the puck and when to defer to McDavid.

The only people who think Eberle/McDavid isn't working are fans who for some reason think a slot on McDavid's wing was Yakupov's birthright. And I can see that for sure. I mean who doesn't want one of the worst players on the roster as the wingman for your new franchise center.

I feel confident that Yakupov can definitely do better than Eberle's 1.13 PPG and 0.8 5on5 PPG - and do it facing tough competition and not falling into the deep minus territory. All this while folks who don't like Eberle have been insisting all season long, and louder than ever over the last fifteen games, that the guy who scores the most goals is the guy we don't need. He's the complimentary guy and the stats padder.

Meanwhile Yakupov has like fifteen points on the entire season. Eberle decimated Yak's entire season in one month of games. Most of it 5on5.

This. and everything else you wrote is bang on 100% true.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
McDavid trolling.

McDavid/Talbot/Davidson all having good games again.

If Eberle isn't shooting the puck when he has it in the slot then why is he even here?

U might wanna add Pardy to that last as well. I think he had a great game. Feels pretty good to look out on the ice and finally see a big team. We added 667 lbs of player in Maroon, Cracknell, and Pardy.

The turning point in this had to be the LA game. McDavid was smoked into the post by a LA player and no one did anything. Can you imagine back in the day and Semenko was out there?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
U might wanna add Pardy to that last as well. I think he had a great game. Feels pretty good to look out on the ice and finally see a big team. We added 667 lbs of player in Maroon, Cracknell, and Pardy.

The turning point in this had to be the LA game. McDavid was smoked into the post by a LA player and no one did anything. Can you imagine back in the day and Semenko was out there?

My dad has been telling me stories about how back in the day Semenko would skate out for the warmup looking like he was ready to kill anyone, and was curious how they got him so pumped up for the games.

Gretzky would be allowed to stand behind the net for as long as he wanted because everyone knew going back there would result in Semenko taking your head off.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He started off as a found $20. Then up to a found $50. He's really honestly getting to the point of a found cartoonish bag with a $ sign on it. Finally. FINALLY we get something worthwhile out of a late round pick.

heh. a very good way of putting it.

I actually found a picture of an Edmonton oiler fan hugging Davidson.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Fun game to watch. Gotta love Connor! I hope he always plays this good against the Sabres and Leafs since the stands are filled with his family and friends. He seems extra pumped for these ones.

Not sure why all the Eichel hate. The kid had a great game. Best player on that team. Always calm with the puck and always dangerous. He is a threat every time he is out there. Yes Connor is better, but don't discount what Eichel brings.

Goalies were outstanding in this one. Cambot sporting a 2-1-1 and ~0.960% or so in his last four starts (post-Jultz era). He quietly keeps us in games. Imagine we had an NHL defense in front of him? Imagine we weren't showcasing Jultz for a trade and actually wont some games in February? :S

Pardy stood out in a good way in his debut. Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke. Those asking, when Klefa comes back, I expect Nurse to be sent down. Clendenning sits when Gryba gets back.

I'm excited to see Maroon on Thursday and what he will bring but I'd still like to see Yak given another chance with McEbs. I hope we play LA again this year after Gryba is back in the lineup with our 3 new additions and run that team over. Really run them hard. Set the tone for next year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
17 goals against in the last 4 games with Justin Schultz

6 goals against in the 4 games without Justin Schultz

Hmmmmmm. It's not like the quality of competition was that different either (Anaheim, Minny, Colorado, Ottawa vs. LAK, Anaheim, NYI, and Buffalo).

I liked Pardy's game and Cracknell was solid too. We went about this rebuild entirely wrong, we never should've gotten away from having a good supply of seasoned, hard-nosed gritty players around the skill guys. Hanging on to Hemsky instead of Penner was a mistake too, even though he isn't super gritty, he was still hard on the cycle.

The one thing Pardy and Cracknell and I guess Clendening bring is guys that are one step away from not having a NHL career. Adding some of these guys with desperation is real good for this club. I just look at a team like Toronto and while they don't have a lot of talent they have guys fighting for their careers. Add that to our mix of skilled talent up front and hopefully we become a more rounded club.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Here's the thing that frustrates me about this board.

2 - 1 in which the Oilers play really well, every line from 1 through 4 dominates the puck for large stretches in the offensive zone. Clearly the better team the entire 60 minutes + OT.

But lets spend 1/2 the thread ripping Hall and Eberle. Not a single peep about the sweet dish Eberle gives to McDavid for the first goal. Or, last game where Hall's the best skater on the ice for the Oilers and barely a mention of it in the PGT.

But in a game where he has the one bad give away, but otherwise is very good, lets solely focus on the negative and make all sort of ridiculous statements about his personality.

Every negative is magnified 10 fold, every positive is downplayed to the maximum.

A well played game (for the 4th straight), second win in a row. And thread derailed with negativity. So tiresome.

+1 Very well said, and thank you for summerizing my frustration with the thread.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I agree. Risto is a pretty big guy as well and Draisaitl made it look easy. I also liked how Nurse went after Kane when Kane was being the clown like he is trying to rough Eberle (I think it was Eberle) who was laying on the ice still.

It was Drai

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly, the issue with the PP in OT was that the puck seemed to bounce after every pass.

yeah i mentioned to the wife when that PP was happening that the puck was bouncing more than i can almost ever remember a puck bouncing... it was like a tennis ball on concrete out there

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse wasn't that bad. No big glaring mistakes. He should improve with time, but he really needs to make quicker decisions coming out of his zone. Always holds onto the puck a little too long. If he is going to make a pass it needs to be made a second quicker.

The forwards on this club have been horrendously bad at getting into position to receive breakout passes from the Dmen in recent year and they still aren't great. People rag on him for not passing the puck quickly, well half the time there is no one to pass the puck to. The smarter play sometimes is to hold on to it instead of throwing it up for a turnover or icing.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
what's even worse is the Buffalo fans ripping on Eichel. Just wow :shakehead

really? they can't possibly be dumb enough to do that?

eichel is a hell of a hockey player and will be a perennial top-20 scorer in this league for a long, long time... yeah, connor appears to be better, but he might be better than almost everybody

if they are getting on eichel, that is beyond stupid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad