Post-Game Talk: Oilers (McDavid 2) 2 - Sabres 1 (Eichel 0)

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The oilers are so monumentally lucky to have McDavid fall into their laps, as a leaf fan on the main forums pretty well correctly stated, they are garbage without him.

Well to be honest, we're garbage with him too. Its just like somebody threw a diamond in the trash.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wasn't Hall clearly better than Seguin in their rookie seasons? It's far from over due to the Oilers factor

Wasn't Seguin played like a 4th liner his first season? He was developed slowly and very well in Boston. Hall got thrown to the wolves ASAP. Seguin rookie year TOI/game was 12:12 with plugs. Hall's 18:12. I think how McDavid and Eichel are being brought in early in their careers is much more similar. Eichel 18:50/game, McDavid 18:08, both with good forwards and Eichel gets an very able offensive Dman to play with a lot of the time.

Not trying to take Eichel down, but just don't think the Seguin/Hall comparison works. Seguin was intentionally held back by the Boston coaching staff until they needed him in the playoffs to take a step up.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As previously noted, Eberle is certainly a good fit with McDavid. However that effort on the goal was disappointing. It wasn't that he made a mistake, he just didn't put in the effort to track his man all the way to the net, simple as that.

Unfortunately this is the mix one gets with Eberle. He's a high event player both ways. Will make great plays, is the best producer, scorer this team has had in recent years but there will be those absent backchecks.

Now to the team in general. Outplayed Buffalo, felt like a game that should have been a clear win. But Oilers not executing cleanly enough to produce more goals, PP looked like rubbish yet again.

But the thing that drives me is the quality of scoring chances we give up. The Sabres goal comes on a nothing break. We have men back, that sequence should be no problem and yet a very elemental passing play that any team and line can execute results in a GA. With several other Sabres chances coming off brutal Oilers mistakes or lack of attention to detail. So frustrating this far into the year to see that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
next,

Great for McDavid, he really wanted this one. You can tell how much this game meant to him being the Eichel game and with parents in tow in what for him is another local market.
Great that he got BOTH Oiler games in getting that result.

But. Did McDavid get enough support in getting this result from the whole team? This is one of those games where one expects the club to rally and I guess they did to an extent but this performance, imo, was south of what we saw in California. I already see attention to detail going south and committing unforced errors (should be a stat in hockey) going up.

Anyway I really liked Pardy, pleasant surprise, I've never really keyed on this player too much.
Davidson continues to be awesome.

Nurse looks like he needs a break. Too much hockey this year for him.

I did like the physical play of the Oilers and not putting up with any crap from Buffalo. I like how clearly that was defined.
I like how the Oilers established tempo in the first period and ended the period on an exclamation mark of sustained offensive zone possession that was truly impressive. We got a line change and just kept going. What was that, 2mins of pressure. :yo:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
next,

Great for McDavid, he really wanted this one. You can tell how much this game meant to him being the Eichel game and with parents in tow in what for him is another local market.
Great that he got BOTH Oiler games in getting that result.

But. Did McDavid get enough support in getting this result from the whole team? This is one of those games where one expects the club to rally and I guess they did to an extent but this performance, imo, was south of what we saw in California. I already see attention to detail going south and committing unforced errors (should be a stat in hockey) going up.

Anyway I really liked Pardy, pleasant surprise, I've never really keyed on this player too much.
Davidson continues to be awesome.

Nurse looks like he needs a break. Too much hockey this year for him.

I did like the physical play of the Oilers and not putting up with any crap from Buffalo. I like how clearly that was defined.
I like how the Oilers established tempo in the first period and ended the period on an exclamation mark of sustained offensive zone possession that was truly impressive. We got a line change and just kept going. What was that, 2mins of pressure. :yo:

Nurse was pretty good last night, where are people getting this stuff from. Seems like once a narrative is made up about a player confirmation takes hold and never lets go. He was responsible down low all night and him and Clenending were very good possession wise

Trobes

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo
I think it was just frustration and disappointment over hoping that Eichel would REALLY have a good game against the guy the fanbase was dying to get initially, and essentially having it rubbed into their collective faces that "their" guy was clearly a step below McDavid, at least for this game.

Eichel comes back and scores the next game, and they'll be swooning over him all over again.

FWIW - many, MANY fans had McEichel as our guy. The "tank" wasn't embraced because of McDavid, it was embraces because we knew...if we finished 30th we would get ONE of the two.

Obviously, we wanted McDavid over Eichel if we could pick...who wouldn't? But the frustration is not about losing the lotto. I know that it has been portrayed that way by some media outlets (I think puckdaddy did an article about it) but we really wanted 30th not for the 20% of McDavid but the 100% of McEichel.

The non-kneejerk fans are incredibly happy with Eichel.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nurse was pretty good last night, where are people getting this stuff from. Seems like once a narrative is made up about a player confirmation takes hold and never lets go. He was responsible down low all night and him and Clenending were very good possession wise

I've though that Nurses game has gone down and he's making too many mistakes. Albeit that could be in contrast to how freaking good McDavidson has looked lately. ;)

Puck transition now looks better without Schultz. How ironic that is.

Team still needs to focus on getting pucks deep. Still too many dangerous turnovers mid ice.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
These last 4 games I have seen the Oilers line up 5 players across the blueline in D zone something we have not seen in years . Just shows T mac is a legit coach and I have faith the players are staring to buy in.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope all the McDavid-Eichel stuff just fizzles out. It's stupid, so what if they were in the same draft class, "linked together forever" ... give it a rest. Connor is a special player obviously. Eichel is a very good player too. Yes I think McDavid is the better of the two.

Like nowadays when we play Dallas Taylor Vs. Tyler is not a big deal anymore.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eichel slammed his stick against the post after McDavid scored in OT and broke his stick in half.

Didn't notice it till now after watching another angle of the replay.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I hope all the McDavid-Eichel stuff just fizzles out. It's stupid, so what if they were in the same draft class, "linked together forever" ... give it a rest. Connor is a special player obviously. Eichel is a very good player too. Yes I think McDavid is the better of the two.

i agree... i don't really like eichel, as he seems like a bit of a suck to be honest, but he is a fantastic hockey player, and i'd love to have him on my team... i don't see how its fair to either player to be randomly linked to each other, its tiresome in my mind.... they are different players, playing for different teams, and under different circumstances... yes, they should be compared to other NHL players (that is the whole point of competition after all, lol), but to be singled out for comparison 1v1 doesn't make sense to me

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
McDavid is a hockey god , but wow Eichel is a helluva a player in his own rights . There are hockey expects who thinks Matthews is ahead of Eichel at the same age . Could lighting strike twice ?

Hall Matthews Driasaitl 1a/1b
XXX McDavid XXX 1a/1b

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
i agree... i don't really like eichel, as he seems like a bit of a suck to be honest, but he is a fantastic hockey player, and i'd love to have him on my team... i don't see how its fair to either player to be randomly linked to each other, its tiresome in my mind.... they are different players, playing for different teams, and under different circumstances... yes, they should be compared to other NHL players (that is the whole point of competition after all, lol), but to be singled out for comparison 1v1 doesn't make sense to me

I watched his press conference yesterday before the game, and honestly I thought he handled the whole thing well. He knows its part of the job. He seems like a good kid.

It's kinda a ****** situation for him to always be compared to this guy just because you were born within the same 12 month period.

The one thing that I do like about the World Cup format is it'll probably let us see McDavid-Eichel play together which will be fun and probably wouldn't happen in any other context.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eichel slammed his stick against the post after McDavid scored in OT and broke his stick in half.

Didn't notice it till now after watching another angle of the replay.

You mean he slammed his 2nd fiddle into the goalpost?

lol

The degree to which this Eichel guy is slow burning about all this is hilarious. lol that McDavid completely stole his show right out from under him in his own rink. With Sabres fans cheering on McDavid by the end of it.

SO thankful we got McDavid instead of Eichel. :yo:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Actually Taylor Tyler still seems like a fairly big deal and to the players as well. You can see that everytime we play Dallas.

In anycase its Eichels ongoing ******** that tends to string this one out. he seems to feed that with his own ill advised public actions, statements.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In one interview I saw from after the game Eichel seemed to be legitimately upset that McDavid "won" the first round of this "battle". I am quite sympathetic to him in this regard because he deserves to be assessed on his own merit instead of hearing the constant comparison with McDavid. Had the outcome of this game been different, especially if he had scored on his last shot, it might have at least dampened some of the crap he has had to face a little. It's not easy for a kid his age to sit there and have to respond to stupid questions about a media manufactured rivalry.

Watching Buffalo a fair but I a am convinced that he will be a very special player. But he has had the bad luck to be compared with someone who takes special to a whole different level. We've seen this as well watching Leon field McDavid question after McDavid question during the whole training camp. It's got to be frustrating for these kids. McDavid to his credit handles it marvellously.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Actually Taylor Tyler still seems like a fairly big deal and to the players as well. You can see that everytime we play Dallas.

In anycase its Eichels ongoing ******** that tends to string this one out. he seems to feed that with his own ill advised public actions, statements.

Really? Seems like its become a side note compared to the first couple of years when they played against each other. Like it gets mentioned but its not like "TONIGHT TAYLOR VS TYLER ON SPORTSNET" anymore.

This sport is so damn thirsty to manufacture rivalries even when they don't make a lick of sense.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really? Seems like its become a side note compared to the first couple of years when they played against each other. Like it gets mentioned but its not like "TONIGHT TAYLOR VS TYLER ON SPORTSNET" anymore.

This sport is so damn thirsty to manufacture rivalries even when they don't make a lick of sense.

I agree with you they don't make sense (make more sense in basketball) but these do occur, are marketed as such, and do definitely sell tickets at higher resale prices.

I think its all a bit silly. But pro sports marketing generally is. Its manufactured hype mostly.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan just wanting to tell you guys what a great talent you have in McDavid. Eichel is pretty damn good, and will be great, but McDavid is other level stuff for real. I really think if you guys get another 2 defensemen for your top-4 you guys will be really strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00