Oilers lead the league in cap overage going into next season

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Wasn't me in there tho so 🤷

The shrewd thing was getting him for $775k. The senility is when Brown is sucks so bad that he had 1 or fewer points going into his 10th game for that undeserved bonus and then just kept playing him. 12 points for that trash but at least it's only one year.
Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't aggressively shop him... or at least send him down and buy time. I half expected a mutual termination.

The cost to offload him would have been high, but not as high as it will be to clear $3.25m in dead cap space this summer. I'm sure some team with space and a rebuilding team would have had room for him to rehab his game after a major injury.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This season is a failure if they don't win the Cup, nothing else matters. They can worry about the cap in the off-season. Campbell will be bought out, who knows if Draisaitl will extend, Oilers will have a new GM. Obviously having that 3 million next season would be nice but I don't think it will make or break.

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This year and next year they really needed to go for it, so I don’t see the overage as a bad thing.

Once the new McDrai contracts kick in, they’re going to have issues.

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
If there is not penalty for the overage other than an equal amount reduced from your top end cap the following year, why wouldn't you do this every year you have a decent chance? You get to be over the cap when your team is in its prime, likely improving your chance to win, and then deal with the overage later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad