Post-Game Talk: Oilers @ Jets • Wed Sep 24 • 7PM • MTS Centre • "Attack of the Prospects"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
So you want to destroy his confidence by cutting him?

Of course that doesn't make sense, same as his confidence being irrevocably harmed by playing in NHL. These players are not children that need to be protected at all costs from negative parts of the world. Players don't work like that.

Actually they are close to being just kids, they are teenagers playing in a man's league. Being physically dominated can most definitely effect your mind set and your confidence, not sure how you can state players do not work like that. Its not a player trait, it is a human trait.

Petan is not ready for the bigs yet, and forcing him into a role that he is not best suited for is a mistake. The kid is 19 years of age, one more season in Junior and a possible playoff run in the A will do nothing but good for building his body and mind, for making the team the following season.

There is no rush on this, the organization is not going to force his development.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Completely concur on Kane, his IQ is lacking no question about it. Honestly he kind of reminds of a more skilled Chimera at times. However, does playing with a guy like Scheifele (superior IQ) and Wheeler (high IQ) mask that it to some extent? I hope so but who knows? Could he develop it more? I doubt it but who knows? I don't necessarily see it as such a bad thing though, he might not have the IQ to be super effective on the PP or create for teamates consistently but he has great physical tools and he will always brings great 5 on 5 scoring off the rush, physicality and speed on the forecheck, and the ability to be a force on the PK. Nothing wrong with that all IMO.

Derfel*

Completely concur on Kane, his IQ is lacking no question about it. Honestly he kind of reminds of a more skilled Chimera at times. However, does playing with a guy like Scheifele (superior IQ) and Wheeler (high IQ) mask that it to some extent? I hope so but who knows? Could he develop it more? I doubt it but who knows? I don't necessarily see it as such a bad thing though, he might not have the IQ to be super effective on the PP or create for teamates consistently but he has great physical tools and he will always brings great 5 on 5 scoring off the rush, physicality and speed on the forecheck, and the ability to be a force on the PK. Nothing wrong with that all IMO.

By "IQ" you mean "hockey sense", right?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually they are close to being just kids, they are teenagers playing in a man's league. Being physically dominated can most definitely effect your mind set and your confidence, not sure how you can state players do not work like that. Its not a player trait, it is a human trait.

Petan is not ready for the bigs yet, and forcing him into a role that he is not best suited for is a mistake. The kid is 19 years of age, one more season in Junior and a possible playoff run in the A will do nothing but good for building his body and mind, for making the team the following season.

There is no rush on this, the organization is not going to force his development.

I have a good reply to this but I want to see what Puckatron has to say.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jokinen had 43 points last year and was our third line centre. Not sure I follow
what your saying. Plenty of guys have more than 30 points playing on the third
line of teams. In Washington Ward and Chimera both had more than 40 points on the third line. For example a very good third line is Eakin 35 points, Garbutt 32 points
and Roussel 29 points in Dallas. Maybe that's why they made the playoffs and
we didn't. They got points from the third line

They had one of the best 3rd lines in hockey last season (IMO), their problem lied more in their 2nd line which should be much better this year with the addition of Hempsky and Spezza.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jokinen had 43 points last year and was our third line centre. Not sure I follow
what your saying. Plenty of guys have more than 30 points playing on the third
line of teams. In Washington Ward and Chimera both had more than 40 points on the third line. For example a very good third line is Eakin 35 points, Garbutt 32 points
and Roussel 29 points in Dallas. Maybe that's why they made the playoffs and
we didn't. They got points from the third line.

Jokinen also received 5v5 TOI typical of first line players and plenty of PP TOI.

Derfel*

You picked the wrong player to not play last game. ;)

I haven't heard anything about when he suffered the injury, or what it is. He finished the game, so :dunno: Practice injury?

Yeah, I guess so. I actually thought the risk was worth it for Kane to get some pre-season time in, but maybe not. I certainly hope it isn't related to his injured hand - if so, he is pretty much going to be a write-off.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I haven't heard anything about when he suffered the injury, or what it is. He finished the game, so :dunno: Practice injury?

Yeah, I guess so. I actually thought the risk was worth it for Kane to get some pre-season time in, but maybe not. I certainly hope it isn't related to his injured hand - if so, he is pretty much going to be a write-off.

PMo said O'Dell is week to week but the other "vets" are day to day and they are being really cautious with everyone. Mo said they (Buff, Kane, Postma) could all play against Edmonton but he said it in a way that I had trouble understanding if that meant they "will" be ready or the "may" be ready. Reading between the lines it sounds like outside O'Dell they are making sure everyone will be ready for the season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Yesterday was an off day for TC. No practice. Must have happened in the game.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I disagree that he has no hockey sense. He has a lot of hockey sense. He knows when to go and where to go to get the puck. Hell his breakaway in the game is a clear indication he has a ton of hockey sense

His problem like a lot of players similar to him(say Taylor Hall), is that when the game slows down he does not look good. I think that is why he has trouble on the PP and is decenet PKer. His brain is thinking so quickly that other players are not on the same level and when he has to slow down his thought process he makes wrong decisions.

Kane has decent hockey sense when he doesn't have the puck. He can get open, he can read the play and he's pretty good positionally.

Once he has the puck, he just has no concept of changing pace, creating space, creating time... he just rushes to make a play and it's almost always simple and predictable for defenders. If he doesn't beat people with his incredible talent, he sure won't beat them with his hockey IQ. He's not smart when he has the puck.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kane has decent hockey sense when he doesn't have the puck. He can get open, he can read the play and he's pretty good positionally.

Once he has the puck, he just has no concept of changing pace, creating space, creating time... he just rushes to make a play and it's almost always simple and predictable for defenders. If he doesn't beat people with his incredible talent, he sure won't beat them with his hockey IQ. He's not smart when he has the puck.

As I've said before, I think everyone is judging his play based on a period when (right or wrong) he just had 0 faith in his linemates to do anything useful. The assessment may or may not be accurate. Lets see what he does with skilled linemates. If he is the same then it is on him.

What was he like in jr? Anybody know? He was certainly successful at that level.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
As I've said before, I think everyone is judging his play based on a period when (right or wrong) he just had 0 faith in his linemates to do anything useful. The assessment may or may not be accurate. Lets see what he does with skilled linemates. If he is the same then it is on him.

What was he like in jr? Anybody know? He was certainly successful at that level.

Everything I can remember, read, and watch suggests he is the exact same type of player. All of the scouting reports (including the the TSN guys talking about him at the draft) included something along the lines of "fast, very good shoot, willing to pay the price and drive to the net, physical, two way player" they also included "lacks high end vision to play centre, overall offensive tools not that impressive, best served driving the net, goal scorer at the NHL level, doesn't use his line mates well"

On a side note even before 2009 (his draft year) people were talking about his perceived attitude issues which I found interesting. I'm in the "they are overblown" camp but it's interesting nonetheless.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Probably written somewhere in all of these thread pages...but is this actually on TSN3? My shaw cable box says CFL is on

Whileee

May 29, 2010
we are?

by my count,

kane
ladd
littl
wheeler
Frolik
Perrault

If you include buff you get 7, but i don't think Buff was on a 40+ point pace as a forward.

if a third liner gets 40+ points you can garauntee he's on a power play unit, quite possibly the first.

Projected over 82 games you can add Buff and Scheifele to that list. I think that there is a very good chance that the Jets could have 8 forwards with 40+ points, projected over 82 games.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

get everybody off the ice quick, cancel the preseason games and w can go into the season 3 steps behind everyone , but everyone is healthy

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

No. He was the same way with the Giants. He was the same way at the World Championships. It's who he is.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
No. He was the same way with the Giants. He was the same way at the World Championships. It's who he is.

Well if thats all he offers, what the heck were they doing picking him 4th overall. I suggest we trade him fast while he still has good value -- before the rest of the NHL knows how easy he is to defend

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Well if thats all he offers, what the heck were they doing picking him 4th overall. I suggest we trade him fast while he still has good value -- before the rest of the NHL knows how easy he is to defend

Obviously he's an incredibly gifted natural athlete. He's got lethal speed, a great shot and is fearless when attacking the net. Those are the reasons why he is successful and those are the reasons why he is such an impressive young player.

If you can't see that he lacks intelligence when he has the puck, I can't help you with that.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Didn't Kane got the 1st assist on Halischuck goal last game?
I wondered why he didnt shoot it as he is always portrait to be. He was by the board above the circle. That is where he usually shoot right? out of nowhere.

It was a good stop and pass in the middle assist, not great assist but good assist. For me that was using his IQ , goo heads up play by him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Didn't Kane got the 1st assist on Halischuck goal last game?
I wondered why he didnt shoot it as he is always portrait to be. He was by the board above the circle. That is where he usually shoot right? out of nowhere.

It was a good stop and pass in the middle assist, not great assist but good assist. For me that was using his IQ , goo heads up play by him.

Kane does a lot of things very well, and I think his vision and passing is a bit underrated. He does lack hockey sense in terms of timing and spacing, but I think Scheifele and Wheeler are smart enough to read off Kane, and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad