Rumor: Oilers interested in AA

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
On the 31 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman says EDM is interested in AA. He doesn’t know if Detroit is interested in moving AA, but AA has been mentioned as a potential target for the Oilers.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don’t see what they would offer Detroit. Was pretty highly rumored that Detroit liked Bouchard, but I doubt Edmonton entertains a deal involving the two of them.

Reactions: Winger98

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland would want either a 1st or a good prospect and a 2nd or 3rd. I’d make the trade because Detroit is stacked on the wing and needs more bites at the apple at drafting/developing defense.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I don’t want to see AA get dealt, but I don’t see his next negotiation being an easy one. His value is sky high right now, so if we can make a deal for a first and a potential lottery ticket in a guy like Puljujarvi would be cool. I don’t see EDM biting but so be it.

Reactions: jkutswings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd try to make a hockey trade and see if you can get Adam Larsson. He's been struggling badly lately and in Edmonton he'll always be living with being part of the Hall trade which was a total disaster. In Detroit you could have him as your shutdown d-man on your top pair. I'd even be willing to sweeten the pot a bit if necessary but not much.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Edmonton management would get crucified if they moved larrson for aa.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Would the Oilers make a trade like that, knowing that anyone they bring in would need to "clean house" so to speak? Imagine being a prospective future GM for the Oilers and watching them make big-ish hockey trades, complicating your job.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Larsson reminds me a bit of Brad Stuart. At one point Boston considered him an equivalent player to Joe Thornton. Stuart had to live with those expectations and really struggled. He would never return the value that was lost when Boston traded away Thornton.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I would only move AA for a solid package. He is worth more than a late 1st to the team now.
Unless management knows he will be difficult in contract negotiations moving forward, I would ask for the moon as his price.

Reactions: gbdet

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Too bad this didnt come up while Chiarelli was still there. I would be very interested in getting Darnell Nurse if I were Ken Holland. I think AA is the quality of player that you could suck him out of Edmonton with. They also have a couple young, close to the NHL D that are pretty solid. Ethan Bear and Seth Jones brother. You get Bear and a solid draft pick I think I do it. The wings need to get D any way they can. The wings have always been able to draft wingers. Going forward with Mantha, Bertuzzi, Zadina, and Rasmussen/Svechnikov as wingers with the hopes of acquiring more plus having Nurse on D is more appealing than still having AA in that group of wingers.

Nurse and Hronek could be a really good second pair when the wings are competitive again. It would have to be a good offer though, AA is having a really good season. I wouldnt "want" to trade him, hes a solid player but hes a guy with value at a position of strength that could be used to acquire some pieces at a position of weakness

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Bring in Nudge. He's still young enough that he could grow with our core. Larkin, Nudge, Nielsen, Glendening is pretty nice down the middle.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don’t see what they would offer Detroit. Was pretty highly rumored that Detroit liked Bouchard, but I doubt Edmonton entertains a deal involving the two of them.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it, either. I'm not even a huge fan of their 1st as they're just a few points out of a wild card spot. They go on any sort of run, and they make the playoffs and we end up picking 22nd or something. And the likelihood of getting an AA quality player at that point in the 1st isn't real high.

They don't have a forward prospect who looks really appealing. I don't think they deal Bouchard. Bear and Jones have some appeal. With how much the Wings have invested in AA and the fact that he seems to really be turning the corner now, I have to think Edmonton would have to overpay to get him. I could see the logic in something like Jones, Bear, and a 2nd I guess.

Reactions: 14ari13

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It's worth a phone call to gauge interest. AA is one-dimensional but that dimension -his speed- can not be taught.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Last draft Islanders got nice 2 prospects .We could have the same this year

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm not seeing it, either. I'm not even a huge fan of their 1st as they're just a few points out of a wild card spot. They go on any sort of run, and they make the playoffs and we end up picking 22nd or something. And the likelihood of getting an AA quality player at that point in the 1st isn't real high.

They don't have a forward prospect who looks really appealing. I don't think they deal Bouchard. Bear and Jones have some appeal. With how much the Wings have invested in AA and the fact that he seems to really be turning the corner now, I have to think Edmonton would have to overpay to get him. I could see the logic in something like Jones, Bear, and a 2nd I guess.

This kid is good: Kirill Maximov at eliteprospects.com

But after Bouchard, not sure anything really interests me enough to really trade AA. Guy is on pace for 31 goals right now. If we absolutely know he is not part of the future, then maybe I take a 2nd and a prospect (or some prospects)... but if not, I think keeping him probably makes the most sense.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Wrap AA up and put a bow on him.

Trade him for Bouchard......expansion draft exempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: golffuul

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
AA for Bouchard feels about right. Bouchard has lost some luster and is a couple years away. AA can contribute now which probably covers the difference in quality. Bit concerned about how weak we are at forward if we lose one of our few game breakers for the rest of this season. But next year Eugnie and/or Zadina / free agent probably cant make it up.

I would prob throw in a third just because of Bouchard's pedigree but I really doubt its needed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Last draft Islanders got nice 2 prospects .We could have the same this year
Aren't both of them doing so-so this year?

I'm not desperate to trade AA for futures. I think he could either be part of our team long-term or an interesting piece to use in an actual hockey trade. Don't see a match here trade-wise unless Edmonton is really interested in a major shakeup to their roster and pieces like Larsson/Nurse are available.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
How exactly are we stacked at wing? I see this said alot about DRW but outside of AA, Mantha, Bert and Nyquist we're pretty meh at wing. Unless we can get a legit 1D or young starter I'd rather keep AA. Given we have Cholowski and Hronek already looking better than most of our D core and any of McIsaac, Saarijärvi, HIckets and Sulak have the potential to fill out our bottom 4. Compared to forward where we only have Zadina and Veleno that look even close to NHL any time soon. Though I will concede we're all but certain to draft 1-10 in 19 which atm is a very C/W heavy top 10 but even that is no guarantee.

Reactions: hkydave04

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Bleh.

I would really really really hate to lose AA. Sorry, I watch hockey to be entertained and he's one of our 2 most entertaining guys right now.

If the return is good enough that the trade's a clear win for us, I'll be grudgingly okay with it overall. But shit it will still hurt :(

Reactions: hkydave04

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A lot of Edmonton fans think AA would thrive with McDavid, I don't see it. I see Nyquist being the type of player that compliments McDavid. Obviously, money, age, and current contract status affect that deal a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad