Oilers & Hurricanes Could Be Perfect Trade Partners

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What a garbage article. To sum it up its the 2018 1st and JP for 2 years of Faulk and Skinner(a LW). Faulk is hot garbage, like Schultz as an Oiler level bad.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they could be good trading partners but dont really like the trades mentioned here.

I just think they should be trying to trade Lucic to the canes after the comments from the Owner. Lucic's contract is terrible but I still think theres teams out there who think he would be a good addition. He did score 25 goals the previous year. I thought he started this year better than last year but he fell apart in December/January. He can play physical at times. And supposively hes good for the dressing room, if what the players say is true. Lucic in reality is probably a 3-3.5 million dollar player. Problem is that the Oilers cant afford his cap hit, but for team like Carolina, it shouldnt really matter. Only thing is that it seems like Carolina's owner is a cheap skate.

I think Skinner would be a good addition. But I dont really care for Faulk unless hes cheap. He would help on the PP but I dont think the guys very good 5 on 5. I just dont see the point of paying someone 4.8mil per year for only the PP and giving up assets for it as well.

I wouldnt mind trading JP to Carolina for the right price. I like JP but I think he would have a better chance of succeeding on Carolina. The Oilers management has to figure out how much of this season is on the coaching staff and how much of it is on JP, and whether or not they think he will bounce back. If they dont think hes going to bounce back, maybe they should look at trading him. I would consider trading him for Necas (+?).

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Faulk's situation is very similar to what Schultz's was. He was thrust into a role he was unprepared for, didn't have the supporting cast to help and floundered. He's one of those guys who should thrive in the right role on the right team. I just don't think Edmonton is strong enough defensively yet to be that team to be able to shelter him and make up for his shortcomings.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Faulk's situation is very similar to what Schultz's was. He was thrust into a role he was unprepared for, didn't have the supporting cast to help and floundered. He's one of those guys who should thrive in the right role on the right team. I just don't think Edmonton is strong enough defensively yet to be that team to be able to shelter him and make up for his shortcomings.
Him playing behind Larsson could work though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Carolina makes sense as a trade partner if they value Puljujarvi like we still do and if they're willing to take Sekera (and he waives).

For me I would not add a 9th overall pick to Pulju and Sekera for Skinner and Faulk. I sure as hell would not trade Pulju for Faulk straight up.

But who knows with Chiarelli. Carolina seems like a fit no doubt.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a garbage article. To sum it up its the 2018 1st and JP for 2 years of Faulk and Skinner(a LW). Faulk is hot garbage, like Schultz as an Oiler level bad.

So then we deal Nuge or Drai for futures to fit the incoming cap hits? Yeah.......

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
So then we deal Nuge or Drai for futures to fit the incoming cap hits? Yeah.......

I didn't crunch the numbers entirely, but Sekera essentially cancels out Skinner in terms of salary. Faulk makes $4.83 whereas Puljujarvi could make $3.425 if he breaks out to earn his bonuses. Salary-wise, it's not that far off and the Oilers could find a way to make it work financially for next season. Might be as simple as trading away Kassian and Montoya or something to that effect. The cap is going up, they could squeeze in both Faulk and Skinner if they are serious about winning now ... and they should be. No more wasting McDavid's best years to "develop a good team over the next few seasons."

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The cap is going up, they could squeeze in both Faulk and Skinner if they are serious about winning now ... and they should be. No more wasting McDavid's best years to "develop a good team over the next few seasons."

Interesting column. Short sentences are a good thing.

Is there a difference between being 'absolutely' in win-now mode and plain old win-now mode?

So if they don't trade for Faulk and Skinner they aren't serious about winning now?

Skinner over Puljujarvi doesn't make this team 2.5 million better

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the article was similar to other HF threads we've had. It's a bit better than those but still has the same fatal flaw.

Maybe Canes fans are off base, but they want whatever mega deal they get to solve their problem at center. They do not view RNH as any better than what they already have. I'm inclined to believe them. They're also not going to do a smaller deal that omits RNH

Besides, didn't they say they had to get tougher? How does JP, RNH and Sekera help with that? (or was that Peters or the previous GM that said that?)

Reactions: Aerrol and TheGhost

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Interesting column. Short sentences are a good thing.

Is there a difference between being 'absolutely' in win-now mode and plain old win-now mode?

So if they don't trade for Faulk and Skinner they aren't serious about winning now?

Skinner over Puljujarvi doesn't make this team 2.5 million better

If they don't trade for a couple players of the same calibre as Faulk and Skinner to plug a couple key needs, I don't think the Oilers can win with their returning roster. They could maybe make the playoffs, but they would be an early out. They need a couple more ringers to put them over the top and if they are serious about win-now mode, that will happen this summer. Chiarelli needs to make amends for sitting on his hands and failing the organization last summer. Even if it means making another bold move like this that could totally blow up in his face, anything is better than nothing at this point. Standing pat or signing KHL goalies and reclamation projects is a recipe for disaster and for getting fired. I'm sure he knows that and that Katz is reminding him of that on a regular basis now.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
the article was similar to other HF threads we've had. It's a bit better than those but still has the same fatal flaw.

Maybe Canes fans are off base, but they want whatever mega deal they get to solve their problem at center. They do not view RNH as any better than what they already have. I'm inclined to believe them. They're also not going to do a smaller deal that omits RNH

Besides, didn't they say they had to get tougher? How does JP, RNH and Sekera help with that? (or was that Peters or the previous GM that said that?)

A new GM will have a new plan, no doubt, but building around an Aho-Puljujarvi pairing and two more picks in the top 15 of this year's draft doesn't seem like a bad strategy to me. Unless the owner is adamant about a quick turnaround and trying to win next season. In that case, this deal wouldn't have any appeal to Carolina.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Only player out of Carolina I would even consider wanting would be Aho to play with pool party. They have played together in the past and if a deal could be made without using drai or Rnh going other way I'd be all for it. But everyone knows Aho is there untouchable

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think something around Nuge and Hanifin could make some sense. Then move one of Nurse or Klefbom for a top line LW. If we could have a d lineup like this next year with say Dobson in the system Id be pretty damn happy:

Hanifin-Larsson
Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning

In a few years Dobson take Russell's or Larsson's spot.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Slavin would be my target out of Carolina but he would come at a high price. Faulk is a bad year away from entering 3rd round pick or lower trade return.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Slavin would be my target out of Carolina but he would come at a high price. Faulk is a bad year away from entering 3rd round pick or lower trade return.

I dont mind Slavin, but think Hanifin has more offensive upside. Which is more of a need for our defensive core. Imagine a PP pairing of Hanifin and Dobson in 2 years. Drool worthy

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Faulk is most definitely not at the value of Puljujarvi with the way he's been playing recently. I wouldn't mind targeting him since his value is probably at an all time low atm and a competent GM could probably land him for a 2nd+a B tier prospect. Unfortunately we have one of the most incompetent GMs in NHl history so yeah we'd probably end up giving Poolparty.

Reactions: McDrai

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Faulk is most definitely not at the value of Puljujarvi with the way he's been playing recently. I wouldn't mind targeting him since his value is probably at an all time low atm and a competent GM could probably land him for a 2nd+a B tier prospect. Unfortunately we have one of the most incompetent GMs in NHl history so yeah we'd probably end up giving Poolparty.

That definitely factored into my thinking, that Chiarelli has made a habit of overpaying and other GMs will now be looking to extort him (again) in order to make any deal with Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad