Rumor: Oilers getting interest in Russell

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
TSN employee and radio host Jason Gregor reporting in his latest piece for Oilersnation that “some” teams - as in more than one - have contacted the Oilers about Russell.

Remains to be seen if he gets moved.

2 years left at 4 mil.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
His twin brother is a scout in the Sharks organization. Is he a legit top-4 guy?
Yeah he's a top four guy , been playing his offside most of his time as an oiler and he's fine as a 3/4 . Doesn't do anything particularly amazing other than block shots but is decent at everything else . Maybe a bit weak on allowing zone entries

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His twin brother is a scout in the Sharks organization. Is he a legit top-4 guy?

Not on a contender, no.

However, on a team deep on RHD like the Sharks, Habs, or Preds, that could play him on his proper side, he wouldn’t hurt you as a 4.

A Boston based writer I follow says he thinks one of the teams in on him is the Habs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Same reason that Zaitsev will return positive assets. GMs are dumb, especially the old school guys who value bad defensman and they think are good defensively because they get so much practice at it.

The difference here is that Russell is actually a good defenseman. Zaitsev sucks.

Yeah he's a top four guy , been playing his offside most of his time as an oiler and he's fine as a 3/4 . Doesn't do anything particularly amazing other than block shots but is decent at everything else . Maybe a bit weak on allowing zone entrees

Yeah, that was my understanding of it. He's a bit pricey in terms of the cap hit but I'd take him if Edmonton were to trade him for a low price.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The difference here is that Russell is actually a good defenseman. Zaitsev sucks.

Yeah, that was my understanding of it. He's a bit pricey in terms of the cap hit but I'd take him if Edmonton were to trade him for a low price.

I would think he could be had for something like a third and a decent prospect. The main value to Edmonton would be the cap space.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Russell is a decent D man. He gets a bad rep because of analytics and his YouTube highlight giveaway fail to cost the Oilers a game.

On a strong team, I can see him being a very steady #4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad