Oilers Draft Day Trade Options

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Great points, I didn't think of that.:sarcasm:

Seriously though, what would the Rangers want added to the 4th pick for McDonaugh? Could a bigger deal with Nash and Eberle plus a smaller asset added be appealing?

A deal around Brodin or Dumba is not that appealing if the 4th is on the table. 7 and 20 for 4 is a solid deal to fall back on if bigger things fall through.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Damn, if Chia turned down 7 and 20 he must have a better deal on the table.

Agreed that's a decent offer, if this was last year I'd take that deal, this draft isn't as deep though. I have a feeling chia really likes tkachuck as well so I doubt we move the pick unfortunately.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Agreed that's a decent offer, if this was last year I'd take that deal, this draft isn't as deep though. I have a feeling chia really likes tkachuck as well so I doubt we move the pick unfortunately.

I take that offer all day long. With 7 we draft Sergachyov, and with 20 we take one of the top ranked right handed D-men available.

As to why he didn't take it, I don't think that there is a better offer out there, but more a need for help now. I bet he is holding out waiting to see if a trade for a RD materialises.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I take that offer all day long. With 7 we draft Sergachyov, and with 20 we take one of the top ranked right handed D-men available.

As to why he didn't take it, I don't think that there is a better offer out there, but more a need for help now. I bet he is holding out waiting to see if a trade for a RD materialises.

If you follow the links to the source of that rumour it's a Habs fan site that simply credits "their sources".

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I take Brown first, Sergachev second with pick number 7. With 20, I flip it with Yakupov for Rick Nash. Then for the rest of the summer I have the wingers on the market to see if the right offer comes along.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

i'm worried if he turned down this deal ! i'd do this straight up all day long ! the Oilers needs are many and while Dubois or Tkachuk could be real stars in this league in the future and by trading down you might miss out on their potential greatness, #7 would still get us a player we really need like good d-men Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev, or a huge forward like Logan Brown, or the very talented Nylander or Jost or Keller.

plus we could get some potential good talent at #20 like German Rubstov or RD like McAvoy or Fabbro. i hope Chia didn't flat out turn this offer down if it really happened!!

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
4th for 7 and 20 isn't a trade you make until the draft anyways. You wait until the pick is on the table and they see Tkachuk slipping away and all of a sudden #20 turns into Stone, or its 4+62 for 7+20+Murphy.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
4th for 7 and 20 isn't a trade you make until the draft anyways. You wait until the pick is on the table and they see Tkachuk slipping away and all of a sudden #20 turns into Stone, or its 4+62 for 7+20+Murphy.

With the expansion draft coming, I am guessing real options start to open open in terms of trading that pick for a D-man. Teams are certainly starting to realize they will be losing players regardless. Anaheim just signed Vatanen, but do they even have the space to protect him next year? Does that mean Lindholm could be available for the 4th? Anaheim may have just played an asset management game ... they signed Vatanen, knowing they have to unload a d-man at the draft.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
trade from a strength

Maybe we will see the oilers deal from a strength, like Kelfbom for Hamonic etc... then acquire a more pmd if available...

Especially if we draft Sergachev...

4th for 7th 20th and Stone

draft Sergachev then either a RHD prospect or maybe a little trade up into the 13 - 15 range for McLeod or a Center prospect that has fallen.

our d moving forward is looking pretty solid after you trade away Fayne
LHD
Sekera Hamonic
Davidson Stone
Nurse Dumba (Schenn is a value signing, same could be said for B. Campbell)
Reinhart
Sergachev

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006

Yes. No sense in accepting now. Arizona might sweetin the pot at the 11th hour. Stone would be ideal, but I'd rather see us add in a player like Reinhart, yakupov or Fayne to the deal?

4th + Reinhart for 7, 20, stone

4+ Fayne for 7, stone

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

agreed! Chia would likely let them sweat until the draft and see if they can get the Yotes to sweeten the pot or if an even better deal can be had from another team. the Oilers need Tkachuk a hell of a lot less than other teams do in my opinion.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Or he's betting that one will present itself. Usually a solid bet, I think he can get Arizona to add to that. He's probably just covering his ass for now just in case one of the top 3 guys inexplicably falls in his lap.

Is Tkachuk/Dubois > Sergachev and Bellows/Kunin/Jones? I'm not so sure.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Yes. No sense in accepting now. Arizona might sweetin the pot at the 11th hour. Stone would be ideal, but I'd rather see us add in a player like Reinhart, yakupov or Fayne to the deal?

4th + Reinhart for 7, 20, stone

4+ Fayne for 7, stone

^yup, something like #4 and #32 and LD Davidson for #7, #20 and RD Stone? i can't see them giving away outright pick #20 just to move up 3 spots near the top of the draft.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What if Puljujarvi is available at 4th then that deal doesn't look so great, no rush to make a trade until draft day.

I'm assuming Pulj is gone...also assuming any trade here is done at the draft.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does that pick help us at all in the next 3 years?

Trade 4 for 7 and 20.

At 7, select a)Logan Brown or b)Mikhail Sergachev.

At 20, trade 20 and Nail Yakupov for Rick Nash.

We get a high-end center (or defense) prospect to step in two or three years down the road and we get a high-end 6'4 winger to play with McDavid, who only has two years left on his contract instead of anchoring ourselves to an overpriced UFA, all while maximizing Yakupov's value.

That helps us both in the short-term and in the long term should we trade Nash for futures later in his deal.

...or we could draft another left wing.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
No...................???

We get a high-end center (or defense) prospect to step in two or three years down the road and we get a high-end 6'4 winger to play with McDavid, who only has two years left on his contract instead of anchoring ourselves to an overpriced UFA, all while maximizing Yakupov's value.

No thanks, Nash is on the downside of his career..........and he is an anchor already.

His salary will also be a drag for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad