Speculation: oilers , and others , scouting cbj

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers have been scouting the Blue Jackets the last few games now I believe.

I assume this thread is going to be Oiler fans wanting to swap Campbell and something small for Merzlikins and the Blue Jacket fans saying that something extra needs to be massive.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I didn't follow much of Columbus this year.. can they realistically afford to trade Merzlikins? Tarasov seem injury prone and Spencer Martin isn't really someone you want as your #1 goalie, no?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I assume this thread is going to be Oiler fans wanting to swap Campbell and something small for Merzlikins and the Blue Jacket fans saying that something extra needs to be massive.

That would be such an enormous and complicated trade to pull off, I really don't think it's goalies.

There might be something in the works with Boqvist - though that is very unlikely unless there is also a Bouchard move in the mix. Maybe they've reached the breaking point with Bouchard.

There's also a lot of forwards in the Jackets lineup - a scorer like Chinakhov is finally getting looks now, or maybe a depth guy like Mathieu Olivier or Eric Robinson. Olivier is in the lineup tonight. I think all of those guys are a lot better than Gagner or Erne or whatever is on the Oilers 4th line any given night.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

That extra would indeed be massive. Oilers are acting like Merz is a major capdump. He's got good numbers on an extremely bad team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
delete

I didn't follow much of Columbus this year.. can they realistically afford to trade Merzlikins? Tarasov seem injury prone and Spencer Martin isn't really someone you want as your #1 goalie, no?
Not this year and doing so for Campbell would be incredibly stupid. Would easily require a big add from Edmonton and be a pointless move.

If Edmonton is targetting guys Id probably assume its Columbus' depth forwards

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s a ridiculous expectation.

Merz has looked a lot better this season and Campbell is a massive negative cap dump.

No chance Columbus is trading Merz for Campbell+

delete

Not this year and doing so for Campbell would be incredibly stupid. Would easily require a big add from Edmonton and be a pointless move.

If Edmonton is targetting guys Id probably assume its Columbus' depth forwards

For a far worse goalie.

It would make absolutely zero sense

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For a far worse goalie.

It would make absolutely zero sense
The reality of course being that there is basically nothing other than ~10 games this season that actually separates Campbell and Merzlikins in terms of career numbers. Campbell actually has better career numbers, better numbers over the last couple of years and a cheaper contract.

But kudos to Blue Jacket fans all flocking to prove my point lol

Reactions: Ragdoll and capazzo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The reality of course being that there is basically nothing other than ~10 games this season that actually separates Campbell and Merzlikins in terms of career numbers. Campbell actually has better career numbers, better numbers over the last couple of years and a cheaper contract.

You realize trade around Campbell and Merz isn’t realistic?

Absolutely nobody is interested in Campbell

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You realize trade around Campbell and Merz isn’t realistic?

Absolutely nobody is interested in Campbell

Columbus was probably hoping to compete this year I think with the Babcock hire, but the whole plan went to shit and it's another rebuild year, they would probably welcome futures I think. Think Elvis needs a change of scenery, has for a while.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Columbus was probably hoping to compete this year I think with the Babcock hire, but the whole plan went to shit and it's another rebuild year, they would probably welcome futures I think. Think Elvis needs a change of scenery, has for a while.

Trading Elvis for futures is far different than trading Elvis for Campbell+

& why does Elvis need a change of scenery? He’s been a bright spot for Columbus this year, Columbus has a new goalie coach and so far so good.

Now that doesn’t mean that Columbus couldn’t do with an upgrade, but we know Edmonton doesn’t have those options.

Campbell was one of the worst goalies in the league in his last half with Toronto, garbage last year, pure cap dump/anchor this year.
Campbell is a pure a anchor that costs you lot of money.

Trade around the 2 isn’t realistic on this planet.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Neato, you really expected a fanbase with a goalie playing better and better to be ok with trading him for a goalie thats been trash and currently in the AHL? Elvis is keeping Columbus in games. As bad as Columbus' record is, it would be worse without Elvis. We dont care what Campbell's career numbers are or what he's done in a tandem role which he should only be used in anyway.

Is this the new HF thing to do? preface a bad deal with "fans of the opposing team will homer and say how ridiculous this proposal is". Should I say Edmonton needs a switch up and so does Laine. Edmonton fans will say its stupid and ask for the moon but how about Laine+ for Draisaitl

Reactions: Viqsi

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
kenny better come big if he wants the roaring lyon ;-)
Last I heard, Jeff actually lives in Columbus. Not sure if he’s based out of there, or if he’s moved up to Edmonton.

He actually coached Mrazek when he worked for the Wings too. So he’s as familiar as it gets with Mrazek. Not sure if he’s ever crossed paths with Lyon along the way, but he’s likely as impressed as everyone else has been with Lyon over the last year. If he was 2-4 inches taller, he’d be a wall the way he’s playing. I think if they move a goalie, Reimer’s the guy. Hell, the way Lyon has played, maybe Husso is the goalie in play.

I actually forgot he went to Edmonton this year, until he was in Detroit recently for that Columbus game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Neato, you really expected a fanbase with a goalie playing better and better to be ok with trading him for a goalie thats been trash and currently in the AHL? Elvis is keeping Columbus in games. As bad as Columbus' record is, it would be worse without Elvis. We dont care what Campbell's career numbers are or what he's done in a tandem role which he should only be used in anyway.

Is this the new HF thing to do? preface a bad deal with "fans of the opposing team will homer and say how ridiculous this proposal is". Should I say Edmonton needs a switch up and so does Laine. Edmonton fans will say its stupid and ask for the moon but how about Laine+ for Draisaitl
It's not a proposed deal. I want Merzlikin's about as much as I want Campbell. Which is not at all.

Y'all are just so predictable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trading Elvis for futures is far different than trading Elvis for Campbell+

& why does Elvis need a change of scenery? He’s been a bright spot for Columbus this year, Columbus has a new goalie coach and so far so good.

Now that doesn’t mean that Columbus couldn’t do with an upgrade, but we know Edmonton doesn’t have those options.

Campbell was one of the worst goalies in the league in his last half with Toronto, garbage last year, pure cap dump/anchor this year.
Campbell is a pure a anchor that costs you lot of money.

Trade around the 2 isn’t realistic on this planet.

I'm guessing it is because why else is Edmonton's goaltending scout watching Columbus and Merzlikins play like the last 3-4 games.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's not a proposed deal. I want Merzlikin's about as much as I want Campbell. Which is not at all.

Y'all are just so predictable.
Poster makes bad deal/suggestion based off of a tweet. Fans on the bad side of the deal do not like it. Yeah you are not wrong, that is predictable.

Just like if someone tweeted something about McDavid not being happy about how things are going. Posters can predict how that would go and likely how it is going in that value of McDavid thread

• Haha
Reactions: Spawn

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

The CBJ Center
u/CBJcenter
Elliotte Friedman: “The circumstantial evidence makes a lot of sense that they (Edmonton) would be looking at Columbus for goalies. However, this person indicated to me that it might be more than that and they might be looking at some of the other players Columbus has.” #CBJ

Watch Holland trade for a 4th line forward 😄

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I'm guessing it is because why else is Edmonton's goaltending scout watching Columbus and Merzlikins play like the last 3-4 games.
I don't have much knowledge on the subject, but I would expect that he could be there IF Edmonton are looking at defenceman.

Goalie are always communicating with their D, and the goalie coach would know more than anyone how Skinner like to play/position himself, and he would have a good idea if a D playing style could benefit him or not.

Reactions: Blueston

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't have much knowledge on the subject, but I would expect that he could be there IF Edmonton are looking at defenceman.

Goalie are always communicating with their D, and the goalie coach would know more than anyone how Skinner like to play/position himself, and he would have a good idea if a D playing style could benefit him or not.

The Oilers are definitely looking at goalies, now maybe they are also looking at other pieces but I seriously doubt they are not looking at goalies specifically Elvis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad