Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Islanders 3: Letestu > Chimera

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Nurse and Gryba played 2nd pair basically and played heavy - too many minutes and opposition too hard - but they did OK. Russell hopefully gets back soon as this is not good long term. Sekera got stuck with the rookie who was overwhelmed - again not good - and we are playing our #8 dman already this season.

I'm less impressed with Eberle's game - 8th straight without a goal and that's what he gets paid for. Plus he did a great impression of Sam Gagner in his famous role titled "also in picture" on the Cizikas goal. His -6 on the season is well earned (-8 in the last 4 games). Tried to throw a check in P1 which is good I guess and ended up on his ass looking like a midget player against men. McDavid needs a bigger guy who can skate, finish, play defense and do more work in the corners than Eberle. Both RNH and Eberle are 2nd line players on a good team but are being paid way too much for what they bring - although you have to like RNH's forechecking these days which is excellent. Not worth $6 million - but excellent all the same.
Not sure you really are judging Nurse and Gryba's play from a knowledgeable position. I would say coach Mc is likely in a better position. if they weren't playing well they wouldn't get the minutes. Russell is more mobile but they really aren't missing him. Russel is weak on the defensive boards.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
But the problem is they caused the problem in the first place (hemmed in the D-zone). Nurse-Gryba has been better lately but do not move the puck out of the zone well - best keep them for the PK only.

I prefer a smaller D like Lubo Visnovsky over Nurse. I rather play in the O-zone than the D-zone :)
But you don't have that choice.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When did that happen?

Lucic's goal. Chimera definitely drug his leg and clipped the back of Nuge's skate.

May have been missed by some because Remenda wouldn't stop talking about Boychuck and Quinn said it was McDavid who was tripped.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Lucic's goal. Chimera definitely drug his leg and clipped the back of Nuge's skate.

May have been missed by some because Remenda wouldn't stop talking about Boychuck and Quinn said it was McDavid who was tripped.

it looked super dirty to me

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Honest question:

Who would you rather have?

RNH or Mikael Backlund?

RNH has had any semblance of offensive creativity completely disappear.

Excluding any consideration of salary - RNH without a doubt.

But given the difference between RNH @ $6 million and Backlund @ $3.5 it's close. Zajac is a better comp and equally overpaid.

Big issue is that RNH has been reduced to 2nd group PP time and lesser linemates. He's always been a guy who derives a lot of his offense off elite linemates (like Hall or at world cup) and the PP rather than being the driver of a line at ES. That said I think he's a wicked good 2nd line center but that contract is a problem. Signed after a great rookie season and a sophomore year where he destroyed his shoulder - there was no sensible reason to do that after an injury that severe and only one year of high level play. Idiotic but that was SOP for the BOTB. So he's overpayed and always will be but still a very good player - liking his determined forechecking this year a lot.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Not sure you really are judging Nurse and Gryba's play from a knowledgeable position. I would say coach Mc is likely in a better position. if they weren't playing well they wouldn't get the minutes. Russell is more mobile but they really aren't missing him. Russel is weak on the defensive boards.

Smashing guys around behind the net may feel good but they give up a lot of high danger chances - always have - always will. Have a look a GMoney's site (Oilers nerd alert) for an education on the difference. Coach had no choice but to give them #2 pair minutes as Benning is in the lineup and has to be protected. Nurse/Gryba will be back where they belong as soon as Russell is back as he's fat superior to Benning even with his weaknesses.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
But the problem is they caused the problem in the first place (hemmed in the D-zone). Nurse-Gryba has been better lately but do not move the puck out of the zone well - best keep them for the PK only.

I prefer a smaller D like Lubo Visnovsky over Nurse. I rather play in the O-zone than the D-zone :)

Statistically Nurse has been one of the better(maybe the best?) D on the team at limiting zone entries and making controlled exits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad