Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Red Wings 1: Nuge still Huge

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
what's also dumb is blindly defending McDavid when he is in a bit of a slump, or dry spell.
instead, it's his line mates fault, or he's being played too hard and the refs are turning a blind eye, or "he might be injured".

why can't some people admit he's having a bit of a tough patch?
He's on the road so the other team is getting their preferred matchups, he's a young guy still learning, and his getting "roughed up" isn't the refs treating him poorly. it happens to every good player. go to any teams board, and they'll think their young star isn't getting a fair ride by the refs.

I like the player, and think he's doing quite well. I just hate the blind defense of him some posters have, and it's always someone else's fault when he isn't getting points.

just like in the trade rumors thread. Oilers get to a great start to the year and people are trying to figure out what players to pick up for the playoff run. doesn't take long for people to go nuts to an extreme.

Because we watch games, and not stat watch.

We see he's creating a ridiculous amount of high-danger scoring chances per game. Possibly the highest in the league.

It's also dumb to complain when we're winning, and he's a huge part of that.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
giphy.gif

I bet Laine or Matthews can't down a pizza like that

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Because we watch games, and not stat watch.

It's also dumb to complain when we're winning, and he's a huge part of that.

I'll remember that when you guys get back to slagging Eberle, who gets way more undeserved crap than any player currently on the team.
wish you guys would defend him with the same fervor that McDavid gets defended with.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I just watched the highlights.

Looked like

a) Draisaitl played a great game

b) Lucic and Maroon are better suited for these lines than the ones they started on.

Am I wrong in thinking that?

You are correct sir. The line of Lucic-Drai-Pitlick really impressed me. I got a nick-name for them: Smash-Boom-Bang line

Also, I would really like to see Pujujarvi play with McJesus. I feel Pujujarvi is getting better every game, as well as Nurse.

What to do with Eberle

Good times to be an Oiler fan folks

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I try not to slag Eberle when we're winning.

hehe. Although I do think he would be better on Nuge's wing due to their dynamic.

no worries. at least you're willing to have a discussion and defend Mcdavid's current play with facts and not just suggest banning people who say anything negative about him. that's the only thing that really got my back up.

cheers, and have a good afternoon.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
A bit of over reaction/ over thinking to a simple post where someone has seen area's of improvement needed in McDavid's game or what? The kid isn't infallible and mistake free. Are people going to roast me because I've seen a couple of things in McD's game that can be improved upon and corrected. Pretty sure the 19 year old will figure his **** out as the leagues youngest captain ever and coping with some of the extra coverage that is placed on him, especially at away games. And I don't consider the "take away the 2 Calgary games" as a sticking point either. I do not agree with that thinking at all, but it was to make more of a point that the kid has to work through a bit of a disadvantage in being keyed on every single game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I guess I have just have higher expectations from him. he is performing at a level Tavares/Stamkos did as young guys, but not at a Crosby/Lindros. He is uber dangerous and if this was RNH doing it people would be losing their minds. But hes not taking over games like Crosby/Ovy/Malkin did as 19 year olds.... yet

I think questioning McDavid is not out of bounds. Hes shown elite, top NHL skill. Just hopefully does that game in and game out. But hes been shut down in 3 games so far. Including against a crappy leafs team

He is performing at a Crosby/Lindros level. He had 48 points in 45 games as a rookie in an injury riddled season on a team with no defense, 3rd highest PPG in the entire league as a rookie. He's on pace for approximately 35 goals, 90 points this season. Crosby and Lindros weren't dominate every game in their early years, slumps happen. It's fine to question him but to act like this last 4-5 game stretch is the norm for him is a bit premature.

The one thing I want to see with him is for him to fight through the physical play and all the obstruction he has to deal with. That's what separates young Crosby from young McDavid, the ability to dish it as much as he takes it. Lucic and Maroon can't do this for him, he has to do it himself. Other than that, he has been consistently stellar in his pro career.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
that glorious gif needs a 'nope' on the end of it so it can be posted in every mainboard thread about the Oilers

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
McD started on fire at home. This was the first real road trip of the season and he's still among point leaders. He's 19. I expected a bit more as well but I also think this young man is very elite. I expect his home performance will be better providing TMac can help. I also think he will be immensely better on his SECOND road trip as captain of a second place suddenly 'darling' team of Canada. I'm not worried.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid still thinks pass first, pass second and shot third. He has set up his linemates for a lot of glorious chances. Right now they are not going in. That could easily just be the luck of the draw. At a different time they might. Eberle for example is guy who can go on real streaks. He might score 8 goals in next 13 games rather than 1 in 10. If he does that all of a sudden McDavid's assist totals take off.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
You are correct sir. The line of Lucic-Drai-Pitlick really impressed me. I got a nick-name for them: Smash-Boom-Bang line

Also, I would really like to see Pujujarvi play with McJesus. I feel Pujujarvi is getting better every game, as well as Nurse.

What to do with Eberle

Good times to be an Oiler fan folks

I think Pul should get some time up on that line but McL wasted soo many games trying to force Lucic on to that top line that he HAS TO see if that Maroon-McD-Ebs line can rekindle. i say they get another 2 games.

Also keep in mind they are on the road so it tends to be more boring hockey. Less exciting rushes etc. So i dont think you will see lots of goals. Frankly we havent been giving up alot and not making risky offensive plays.

I think we stick with these lines for 2 or 3 games. Pul might get up there for a shift or two when McL double shifts McD
It doesnt hurt the Oilers to have Ebs slide to any of those other centres. I think thats the great thing of having a richness in high skilled pivots.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
McDavid still thinks pass first, pass second and shot third. He has set up his linemates for a lot of glorious chances. Right now they are not going in. That could easily just be the luck of the draw. At a different time they might. Eberle for example is guy who can go on real streaks. He might score 8 goals in next 13 games rather than 1 in 10. If he does that all of a sudden McDavid's assist totals take off.

IMO he needs to learn to just shoot some of those...like that one he set Maroon up for on the turnover...he shoots that..its in the net as long as he places it right. Instead..no shot on net for Maroon...nothing but an almost soiled ginch from Oiler fans.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
A bit of over reaction/ over thinking to a simple post where someone has seen area's of improvement needed in McDavid's game or what? The kid isn't infallible and mistake free. Are people going to roast me because I've seen a couple of things in McD's game that can be improved upon and corrected. Pretty sure the 19 year old will figure his **** out as the leagues youngest captain ever and coping with some of the extra coverage that is placed on him, especially at away games. And I don't consider the "take away the 2 Calgary games" as a sticking point either. I do not agree with that thinking at all, but it was to make more of a point that the kid has to work through a bit of a disadvantage in being keyed on every single game.

The team as a whole is playing less off the rush and also making smarter hockey decisions.
If we wanted to finish in the bottom of the league again, i am sure mcdavid would be ripping it up but...WE WANT TO WIN.

we are winning and not getting into the fire exchanges. locking things down.

really impressed with this team. REALLY REALLY impressed.
The buffalo loss didnt even make me mad because you could see they were off and the goaltending was atrocious...and they all reacted seriously to it and got back to work.
The Toronto loss was the only one that concerned me so far. Ottawa we played great. NYR are the best team in the league and we were asleep defensively on coverages.

Its been a good start for these guys and the signs have been there that this is a very different team.

Larsson has been amazing

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
IMO he needs to learn to just shoot some of those...like that one he set Maroon up for on the turnover...he shoots that..its in the net as long as he places it right. Instead..no shot on net for Maroon...nothing but an almost soiled ginch from Oiler fans.

Thats not his fault though, and he doesn't have an elite shot where he's going to beat a goalie from there more often than not. He gave Maroon the better opportunity at a partially wide open net. If he one-times it an gets it on net then its in, but unfortunately he stopped it and shot it wide. It happens, nobody's perfect.

McDavid has let some frustrated shots go into shin pads when he isn't getting anything going. He's a playmaker first, and the minute you start taking away his playmaking creativity is when he becomes a less effective player. Sure there's some times when he could shoot and get a quality chance, but more often than not if he's passing from those spots he's setting guys up in better positions to score. Prime example of that was the Nuge goal last night.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It is a stupid comment, I agree.

In his defense, however, he is suggesting (incorrectly) that the two Calgary games are outliers, rather than typical of McDavid's regular performance. Excluding outliers, he is suggesting that McDavid is a rather average performer...

It is a dumb suggestion and mathematically incorrect. If you are going to remove outliers, then you also need to remove the two worst outliers as well (0G,0A,-2 against Toronto on Nov-1, and 0G,0A,0 against Islanders on Nov-5).

Then you need to calculate the PPG from the remaining 9 games (8 points, or .88 PPG), and extrapolate it to 13 games (11.56 rounded to 12 points, or 0.88PPG), making him tied for 14th place in the NHL (14 through 23 all have 12 points).

However, it's an inadequate comparison, since you would need to also perform the outlier exercise on all other players and re-rank everyone.

Great post. Keep making these kinds of posts, please.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I agree. He passed up a prime shot in slot last game and ive seen him pass up a prime 1 timer from the side of net (!!!) just to try and force pass back to front of net. Just rip it Connor.

The other issue for me is teammates are actually deferring too much to him. Teh balance swung too much to the other way. Watching guys on the ice, whenever they get the puck they almost get antsy to try and find Mcdavid and pass thru whoever to get it there. Theyll wait for a while to find that play and pass up on other good outlets

They havent found balance between getting puck to him when hes open and making other plays when hes not

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If nothing else it's encouraging that we're winning despite our top line being largely ineffective.

This is huge and why I was a big advocate for the 3 centre approach. The other lines can pick each other up if one isn't playing at their best. Creates tougher match ups.

Nice to see Drai and Lucic playing well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad