Oiler UFA's and RFA's: Who do you keep?

Who do you keep? Multiple selections are allowed.

• Total voters

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’m apparently in the extreme minority, but I’d definitely sign Cammalleri. We just saw what happens when you have no depth up front and as much as Cammalleri has declined, he’s still capable of being a 30 point forward. To top it off, we don’t have a replacement for him coming up in the system. The defence will sort itself out. The forwards won’t. Cammalleri is our 6th highest scoring forward. We need help up front in a bad way and having another offseason where we ditch forwards isn’t going to help

When I watch the Oilers, this team is very bad at getting the puck out of their zone. The defense/wingers cant get the puck out. They rim the puck around (usually weakly) and quite often not to their own players. When there is a loose puck on the side boards, often the wingers cant get to the puck fast enough to at least be able to make an effective play with the puck. Camalleri is bad at this. They end up getting pinned in their own zone because players like Camalleri cant get to a puck fast enough. Always chasing the play.

Like you said he has been fairly productive. Hes put up a good number of points considering his ice time. For me personally, he just doesnt impact the game positively enough. He might be more effective with a different coaching system but its a long shot imo.

I do think the team could use some veterans that can still skate though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m apparently in the extreme minority, but I’d definitely sign Cammalleri. We just saw what happens when you have no depth up front and as much as Cammalleri has declined, he’s still capable of being a 30 point forward. To top it off, we don’t have a replacement for him coming up in the system. The defence will sort itself out. The forwards won’t. Cammalleri is our 6th highest scoring forward. We need help up front in a bad way and having another offseason where we ditch forwards isn’t going to help
I see what you're saying and it makes sense, but I would rather the Oilers go sign UFA forwards like Comeau, Ryan, Schiller or Wagner, to name a few. Again, you're correct.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Benning is a good #7D. Not great nor poor at anything.

I really like what Slepyshev could be and don't really understand why he hasn't improved. Would like to see him given 1 more season. Is that irrational?

Pretty indifferent towards the rest of the bubble guys. Won't be upset if they aren't part of the plan. Pak can PK. Not sure if Strome has a place on this team if it's winning, he just isn't the answer to any of the questions.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Inflation.

That's the price for ~30 point 3rd liners now.

Cogliano, Sobotka, Helm, Eller, Zack Smith, Boyle, etc.

Interesting that the inflationary spiral has now filtered down to the extent that 30 point players now make $3M per season. I did not realize this.

Using the same mathematics, Eberle at around 60 points a year was not overpriced and Hall was an absolute steal.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Benning is a good #7D. Not great nor poor at anything.

I really like what Slepyshev could be and don't really understand why he hasn't improved. Would like to see him given 1 more season. Is that irrational?

Pretty indifferent towards the rest of the bubble guys. Won't be upset if they aren't part of the plan. Pak can PK. Not sure if Strome has a place on this team if it's winning, he just isn't the answer to any of the questions.

Benning is a good #7D. Not great nor poor at anything

Have to disagree with this MB is terrible at puck protection. He isn’t bad at retrieving but once he has it he a loses it almost right away 9/10.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
When I watch the Oilers, this team is very bad at getting the puck out of their zone. The defense/wingers cant get the puck out. They rim the puck around (usually weakly) and quite often not to their own players. When there is a loose puck on the side boards, often the wingers cant get to the puck fast enough to at least be able to make an effective play with the puck. Camalleri is bad at this. They end up getting pinned in their own zone because players like Camalleri cant get to a puck fast enough. Always chasing the play.

Like you said he has been fairly productive. Hes put up a good number of points considering his ice time. For me personally, he just doesnt impact the game positively enough. He might be more effective with a different coaching system but its a long shot imo.

I do think the team could use some veterans that can still skate though.

Thing is, there’s always going to be a significant knock on any player at that price point. I’m not suggesting we give him a multi million dollar contract. More like 700k. If we are good enough to not need him, waive him and all it costs us is some of Katz’s money. It’s about having enough depth to keep the Nathan Walker and Brad Malone’s out of the lineup.

I see what you're saying and it makes sense, but I would rather the Oilers go sign UFA forwards like Comeau, Ryan, Schiller or Wagner, to name a few. Again, you're correct.

I don’t necessarily disagree. He’s not my first choice. But he’s cheap, and players still have to agree to sign here. He probably wouldn’t be hard to resign since he’s played half his career in Canada, 5 seasons of which were in Alberta. And either way, we’re going to need like 3 or 4 NHL caliber forwards this offseason. That’s a lot

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'd bring them all back. Team needs depth and AHL roster could use whoever doesn't make the Oilers roster.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I let Pacman walk. Caggulia and Slepyshev might get put on waivers or traded in the off-season.
Rattie resigns but he might get waived as well.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Please no bashing or anything. Just wondering who everyone thinks is worth keeping and for how much.

Here's the gang:

RFA's
Ryan Strome: 3.0m QO
Anton Slepyshev: .966 QO
Drake Cagguila: .966 QO
Iiro Pakarinen: .761 QO
Matt Benning: .966
Darnell Nurse: .910 QO

UFA's
Mike Cammalleri: UFA
Ty Rattie: UFA
Johan Auvitu: UFA
Keegan Lowe: UFA

Darnit. I thought Strome QO was 2.5, didn't realize the huge salary jump he got in the final year of his contract. I don't mind him at 2.5, at 3 he's probably overpaid even though he's still worth keeping. Does a club consider taking him to arbitration to get him back down to 2.55?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Please no bashing or anything. Just wondering who everyone thinks is worth keeping and for how much.

Here's the gang:

RFA's
Ryan Strome: 3.0m QO
Anton Slepyshev: .966 QO
Drake Cagguila: .966 QO
Iiro Pakarinen: .761 QO
Matt Benning: .966
Darnell Nurse: .910 QO

UFA's
Mike Cammalleri: UFA
Ty Rattie: UFA
Johan Auvitu: UFA
Keegan Lowe: UFA

Keepers in bold.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Iiro Pakarinen: The third lowest vote total is officially gone to the KHL.

The Oilers need to improve on some players. This is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad