Oil Ranked Third Overall Sport Illustrated Power Rankings

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This is being discussed in a few other threads but since it's a power ranking the author isn't trying to say the Oilers will finish third, he's saying we're the third best off the start the season (due to the OKC kids, plus Hemmer, Gagner, Smid playing in Europe and Smyth / Dubie / Gags playing in the Spengler.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
:laugh:

Tampa 26th

Anaheim 25th

Buffalo 21st

Winnipeg 20th

Nashville 14th

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Whitney's response to it was the same as mine.

Those guys are high.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country

Those guys are high.

Whitney's response was kind of ridiculous on his part....fans can make jokes as much as they want but when a player is implying they suck before the season even starts makes him look kind of stupid.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Whitney's response was kind of ridiculous on his part....fans can make jokes as much as they want but when a player is implying they suck before the season even starts makes him look kind of stupid.

Nah, he was just having fun with it

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51

I don't think he was implying they suck. He was trying to temper expectations. Sure the Oilers will improve possibly make the playoffs if we get lots of luck.

4th overall.....pfft! Give me a break :shakehead

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Either way they're just power rankings. Its not where they are going to finish in the standings. If it was, they would be standing predictions.

They're based off of who is potentially going to be hot, and Edmonton has a great chance to do that at the start of the season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Too low.

Skip all this power ranking fluff and get onto planning the parade route.

With such a short season and ending the season in July... lots of route conflicts with festival season in Edmonton and not much time to organize it all.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Well it is easy to say they are high, but most of there other rankings are pretty bang on...... so, they see something. I think people are underrating what adding yaks and shultz will do. Don't get me wrong, #3 is high, I would put us at about 16, but, hey, I think some higher expectations aren't out of order.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I don't think he was implying they suck. He was trying to temper expectations. Sure the Oilers will improve possibly make the playoffs if we get lots of luck.

4th overall.....pfft! Give me a break :shakehead

It's not predicting a 3rd or 4th overall finish.

Power rankings compare short intervals, usually a given week, to the one before, (technically a few before, prior weeks lose importance as the net one is played though.) It measures change in performance, as much as actual place in rankings.

this ranking reflect what the change could be.

basically he's saying this team finished second last at the end of the last season, but they should have a pretty good week #1. Their change in performance is a top 3 change, for the first week.

(the final week of play for the Rags and Pens were their respective playoff losses, so their expected strong starts move them high.)

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

I agree, not impressed!

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Sports Illustrated talking hockey. Really all that needs to be said.

Pretty much. But that being said, we've had so many turds flung in our direction, I'm going to enjoy these articles, as meaningless as they are

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

Those guys are high.

What was the top 4 D after trade deadline!
What was Dubnyk's numbers with this D!

A hint.
He played 17 games after X mas with this 1st D pair
Smid-Petry
Dubnyk was:
12W-3L-2OTL
.765Win%
2.05GA
.935 save%
2 games of 4GA
5 games of 3GA
10 games of 2 goals or less.
We had a real chance of winning 88% of our games with
Dubnyk and 1st pair of Smid-Petry.

Dubnyk's first real game test since

Spengler Cup
3GM 3W .963 save% 1.00GA

When people question our Defence.
They are unaware of our restructured Defence.
No Gilbert
No Barker

Before you say well how come they stayed in the lottery.
KHB From Nov 8
5W-20L-5 OTL
Oiler MVP 3 years (lotteries) in a row.

This might be part of his reasoning for an expected good start!

I Hope/Expect playoffs.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009

Yeah I didn't like Whitney's response either. I guess he's already expecting another craptacular year.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I didn't like Whitney's response either. I guess he's already expecting another craptacular yera.

Being skeptical about the chances of the team that finished with the 2nd worst record in the league jumping up to 3rd best team in the NHL over one offseason doesn't nessecially mean he's revving up to tank another year.

Quite frankly, this team could have used a player asking "w*f is that guy smoking?" when Mact decided to pump the team's chances at winning the division not too long ago.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah I didn't like Whitney's response either. I guess he's already expecting another craptacular yera.

Expecting the oilers to be the top western team is crazy and the team knows they arnt there yet, its not stupid for whitney to say that, he says thats their goal but knows its not likely, better than being cocky and saying we are gonna win the cup hands down

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I thought power rankings were released every week or so? Pretty sure we're ranked 3rd based on how well we're expected to do at the start of the season, not for the season as a whole. I think we're going to come out stronger than most teams, but 3rd is still quite high.

Tyjo

Oct 3, 2012
Saw a player wearing oiler colored equipment at Van practice today; Cam barker. I see why SI has canucks rated below oilers now

mick14731

Sep 18, 2012
This is being discussed in a few other threads but since it's a power ranking the author isn't trying to say the Oilers will finish third, he's saying we're the third best off the start the season (due to the OKC kids, plus Hemmer, Gagner, Smid playing in Europe and Smyth / Dubie / Gags playing in the Spengler.

Good poinr, people often confuse power rankings(especially pre season ones) with predictions. Its all about right now, not who will win the cup, or who has the best chance at winning the cup. The core of the Oilers has been playing High level North american style hockey, when the rest of the players get their game speed back the Oilers might not look so good but there is every indication that a good start in in the works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad