Confirmed with Link: Oil change season 3

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure what you are expecting

Upper management stuff will always be heavily edited, and player access will always be heavily controlled and sanitized by the PR department. What's left? Exposes on the equipment guy's meth habit? Setting up shop in a blogger's home to film him while he working out math formulas and argues on forums?

There just isn't that much you can do with a franchise sanctioned and edited TV show that places a high priority on protecting the brand. Complaining it's not more is like getting fustrated that a GM won't comment on player movement rumors in fluff radio interviews.

Always?

No, its a result of an org that became very insular, protective, sensitive, and that came to expect criticism at every turn. Its a reflection of an org that became staid, tired, and an old boys network complete with naps, mexican vacations, and Steve Kelly drafts.

No wonder they don't want a real look inside. No incompetent org would.

Not everything HAS to be a fluff piece. Even when ITV had proprietary rights to the Oilers it was anything but safe commentary. Plus that club on the ice was largely beyond criticism. But the coverage didn't ignore critical analysis.

It hasn't always been a Gene Principe universe here. Coverage of any type used to not shy away from telling it like it is. But when you have a club accrediting media coverage on the basis of chronyism and expectation of syncophant muttering I suspect this is the pablum we get.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Always?

No, its a result of an org that became very insular, protective, sensitive, and that came to expect criticism at every turn. Its a reflection of an org that became staid, tired, and an old boys network complete with naps, mexican vacations, and Steve Kelly drafts.

No wonder they don't want a real look inside. No incompetent org would.

Not everything HAS to be a fluff piece. Even when ITV had proprietary rights to the Oilers it was anything but safe commentary. Plus that club on the ice was largely beyond criticism. But the coverage didn't ignore critical analysis.

It hasn't always been a Gene Principe universe here. Coverage of any type used to not shy away from telling it like it is. But when you have a club accrediting media coverage on the basis of chronyism and expectation of syncophant muttering I suspect this is the pablum we get.

Perfectly valid critisims of the organization and the media members that leech off them.

Should be noted though, Aquila productions is not a neutral 3rd party, they are owned by the Katz group. They probably aren't going to get into the business of criticising other parts of their parent company.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Perfectly valid critisims of the organization and the media members that leech off them.

Should be noted though, Aquila productions is not a neutral 3rd party, they are owned by the Katz group. They probably aren't going to get into the business of criticising other parts of their parent company.

For sure, and ftr I don't go out of my way to watch the productions so I'm not the deemed target audience. I do watch when it happens to be on if I'm bored and looking for unintended humor. Approached from the perspective of analysing the doublespeak involved some of the programs have been interesting.

Never cared much for Aquila productions to be honest. Nothing more than infomercial producers. Plus their taste in music and background sounds and graphics is atrocious. Like watching low grade 80's video production. So dated, just with HD cameras.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure what you are expecting

Upper management stuff will always be heavily edited, and player access will always be heavily controlled and sanitized by the PR department. What's left? Exposes on the equipment guy's meth habit? Setting up shop in a blogger's home to film him while he working out math formulas and argues on forums?

There just isn't that much you can do with a franchise sanctioned and edited TV show that places a high priority on protecting the brand. Complaining it's not more is like getting fustrated that a GM won't comment on player movement rumors in fluff radio interviews.

I agree with you in principle, but I think there are plenty of good human interest stories to cover in a professional sports organization that would be agreeable to both management and viewer alike. I would prefer this approach to simply following the Oilers from game-to-game and hoping that our win-loss column unfolds in a way that is favourable to ratings.

Just my $0.02, and not trying to put words in Replacement's mouth or anything.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree with you in principle, but I think there are plenty of good human interest stories to cover in a professional sports organization that would be agreeable to both management and viewer alike. I would prefer this approach to simply following the Oilers from game-to-game and hoping that our win-loss column unfolds in a way that is favourable to ratings.

Just my $0.02, and not trying to put words in Replacement's mouth or anything.

Not at all. I don't disagree.

Most of the people watching this type of stuff want some added interest stuff. Not a condensed recap of the games and results we all watch anyway and rehash indefinitely.

Some of the funnier and lighter moments like Omark taking a dump and ruining MPS cool pad forever, this of course not seen on Oil Change but on a Euro Cribs type telecast. People want the human interest stories, the off ice activities, any interesting aspects of the players etc. Just watching players drive to a game and talk about the upcoming game can be a different look.
Seeing players in the dressingroom with game faces on is a different look. Theres lots that happens off the ice that could be funny, fascinating, riveting. Instead they trot out this nonsense with a serious monologue as if every event is coaxing Apollo 13 back into re-entry orbit. Seriously the narrator for these could be talking about the clubs morning breakfast in his monotone serious deadpan deliver that suggests the Kennedy assassination just took place. Its like phony drama all over the place and a broadcast not having a clue what its trying to be.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Looking forward to the draft episode as well as hopefully coverage of the lead-up to the Schultz signing if it was filmed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's neat if the team ever develops some day into something special, it'll be fun to look back at it.

The 'Boys on the Bus' docs were very cool, but it'd be amazing if they had like three seasons of that with the Oilers back then.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not at all. I don't disagree.

Most of the people watching this type of stuff want some added interest stuff. Not a condensed recap of the games and results we all watch anyway and rehash indefinitely.

Some of the funnier and lighter moments like Omark taking a dump and ruining MPS cool pad forever, this of course not seen on Oil Change but on a Euro Cribs type telecast. People want the human interest stories, the off ice activities, any interesting aspects of the players etc. Just watching players drive to a game and talk about the upcoming game can be a different look.
Seeing players in the dressingroom with game faces on is a different look. Theres lots that happens off the ice that could be funny, fascinating, riveting. Instead they trot out this nonsense with a serious monologue as if every event is coaxing Apollo 13 back into re-entry orbit. Seriously the narrator for these could be talking about the clubs morning breakfast in his monotone serious deadpan deliver that suggests the Kennedy assassination just took place. Its like phony drama all over the place and a broadcast not having a clue what its trying to be.

One problem is that I imagine the players get a little sick of it at times. This isn't like the HBO show that follows them around for a few weeks leading up to the winter classic. When you've got a camera crew around all year I imagine it gets pretty tedious. That being said, I don't know what the suggestion would be because as it stands now the show definitely is stale. We really don't need to see game recaps of CBJ games that we saw 3 weeks earlier.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
It's a cool show but it started to get a little old. Just going game by game(loss by loss) and showing highlights from ice level got boring and a little depressing. I think they need more player interviews and footage of them between periods or away from the rink.

Boys on the Bus gave us Gretzky hammered while telling a hunting story and the great slurred quote, "that's my puck....and you guys get your own puck". We need more of that :laugh:

2 minutes in

This. The second season just seemed to be a season recap. More behind-the-scenes stuff is necessary to really draw us in.

If they could get a clip of Laddy Smid drunk telling a hunting story, then we'd really be in business.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with you guys. There needs to be more personal human interest stories rather than game recaps. I think I only watched a couple of episodes of season 2 because I really didn't want to see what I pretty much already knew..exept for a few behind the scenes things. As someone else stated though, I don't think the players would want a film crew around their personal lives 24/7

Bus juice

Jan 9, 2013
Oilers need a better show

Hey Oil Changer, why is the voice a Calgary Flames fan the voice for the Oilers show. I think the Oilers should change your team and get some Oiler pride rocking Canada instead. At least get an Oiler fan as the writer. Your show is lame but the team is the coolest in the league. It's time you get traded back to Calgary and the Oilers get a tv team that's cheers for the Oil! Oil changer time for your team to get serviced. Oilers deserve better and the fans do too! #wasteofmoney

We'll be finalizing the broadcast times and dates as soon as the NHL releases the regular season schedule. Will post the broadcast info as soon as we have it.

Until then, it's going to be a hectic next couple of days getting the production up and running.

GAME ON!

OC

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I know the NHL network in the States airs the show, usually a week or so after it airs in Canada.

I'll see what I can track down on a schedule from them too.

OC

Nope - NHL Network keeps showing season one over and over again.

Because season two was produced by a Canadian TV company, there are no US rights, and all the streaming sites are blocked to US fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad