OHL Trade Deadline Preview

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Not sure you are quite in tune with the GM style or the OA situation in Owen Sound. GM is pragmatic and is not likely to sell a first rounder, young skill D man and picks for some 19 yo's with OA potential. Nor do we have an OA spot available at this time for Cordell James.

I would predict maybe 1 move before the deadline for a 19 yo with OA potential.

Teams with Championship aspirations don't use overage spots on guys like Justin Brack, who has one goal on the year. It's a harsh reality of the OHL, unfortunately. If they can get an upgrade over him, I don't think they hesitate.

Owen Sound's window is this year IMO. Next year, they lose the best goaltender in the OHL (right now), their captain, and their leading scorer.

They're right in the thick of things this year and if they can upgrade their scoring, this is a team that could do some serious damage in the OHL playoffs. They also have a massive surplus of draft picks, which you have to bet will be used at some point to bring in assets.

Just the way I see it.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Teams with Championship aspirations don't use overage spots on guys like Justin Brack, who has one goal on the year. It's a harsh reality of the OHL, unfortunately. If they can get an upgrade over him, I don't think they hesitate.

Owen Sound's window is this year IMO. Next year, they lose the best goaltender in the OHL (right now), their captain, and their leading scorer.

They're right in the thick of things this year and if they can upgrade their scoring, this is a team that could do some serious damage in the OHL playoffs. They also have a massive surplus of draft picks, which you have to bet will be used at some point to bring in assets.

Just the way I see it.

Regarding the OA, thanks for the clarification Brock. To me the article read as a spot being available ie) we have only 2 OA's. I agree that an upgrade to Brack could be an option should it be presented.

It could be the year to go for it, as you mention we lose some major pieces next year. To me though that depends how much London adds, right now I don't see them having as much depth as Erie and we have shown we can beat them. And to a lesser extent Windsor. If London does go out and add Bracco and others then we would be hard pressed to think that with London, Erie and Windsor in the mix that we have a shot. There could be the thought that even with the losses of players next year there is an opportunity because of those 3 teams hopefully going to the bottom of the cycle (although when does London ever rebuild :laugh: ). We have a strong cast of 17 and 18 year olds that would bode well for a run next year.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The only 2000 I could see moving this year is Barrett Hayton. The Soo will be entering a rebuild after this year so I see them as among the most significant buyers. I can't see Aiden Dudas being moved.

The Attack need help on the PP but I doubt will sell the farm for it. My guess would be that a guy like Marcus Croawford ends up in Owen Sound for picks (or maybe a Sean Durzi added as well).

I think there is virtually 0% chance that Michael McNiven is moved but, just for fun, how would Owen Sound's prospects look for this year and next if they traded McNiven and Friend to Mississauga for Nic Hague then flipped picks and Riley Daniels to Kingston for Jeremy Helvig.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The only 2000 I could see moving this year is Barrett Hayton. The Soo will be entering a rebuild after this year so I see them as among the most significant buyers. I can't see Aiden Dudas being moved.

The Attack need help on the PP but I doubt will sell the farm for it. My guess would be that a guy like Marcus Croawford ends up in Owen Sound for picks (or maybe a Sean Durzi added as well).

I think there is virtually 0% chance that Michael McNiven is moved but, just for fun, how would Owen Sound's prospects look for this year and next if they traded McNiven and Friend to Mississauga for Nic Hague then flipped picks and Riley Daniels to Kingston for Jeremy Helvig.

There's no reason why the Soo won't be competing for a home playoff spot next season. They have had a couple of good drafts in a row and have significant assets coming back. A rebuild is out of the question.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Great article, well done. I thought your Niagara projections on Haydon were bang-on and for Mantha it wouldn't surprise me to see him go to the Soo, even given the previous trade.

At the time of the trade, the Soo was a loaded team, especially on defence. It was likely more of a playing time issue rather then a problem with the organization or city. Martha to the Soo makes sense.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't really see it.

Sudbury needs to make the playoffs this year. It's pivotal for that franchise (fan base, recruiting, player morale, etc). They've rebuilt and re-stocked the cupboards. Time for them to get into the playoffs and get these young guys the experience they need. Dealing Capobianco would be the wrong move for that particular franchise right now IMO. Ok, they'd get some good picks or maybe a solid '99 out of it, but when does the rebuild stop?

I agree with most of this; especially, the wolves needing to make the playoffs. The question of when does the rebuild stop? The rebuild is over when there are enough assets to compete with the top teams for a few years. I can say that 40% of the league is, or has been in rebuild mode for longer than the extremely long two seasons the wolves have been over the past 10 years. It is not every year no brainer choices like Ekblad, Chychrun, Nurse, McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos..is available; and, even less often is a team fortunate to pick a Marner at 20.
It should be more about re-tooling this year. The wolves will have three returning D next season and two possible OA D that would slot as an ok 5/6 pairing; however, two OA spots are likely used on Valentini and Dunda. The wolves are without 2nds in '17, '19, & '20. I think the wolves need to trade Capobianco if there's a reasonable offer. Then, they could pick up a left over OA D to ensure they stay ahead of Niagara & Barrie. If there's a team (Saginaw - Proner) that would exchange a younger D for two 19 yr olds in Wilkie & Mayo, that would be ideal.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree with most of this; especially, the wolves needing to make the playoffs. The question of when does the rebuild stop? The rebuild is over when there are enough assets to compete with the top teams for a few years. I can say that 40% of the league is, or has been in rebuild mode for longer than the extremely long two seasons the wolves have been over the past 10 years. It is not every year no brainer choices like Ekblad, Chychrun, Nurse, McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos..is available; and, even less often is a team fortunate to pick a Marner at 20.
It should be more about re-tooling this year. The wolves will have three returning D next season and two possible OA D that would slot as an ok 5/6 pairing; however, two OA spots are likely used on Valentini and Dunda. The wolves are without 2nds in '17, '19, & '20. I think the wolves need to trade Capobianco if there's a reasonable offer. Then, they could pick up a left over OA D to ensure they stay ahead of Niagara & Barrie. If there's a team (Saginaw - Proner) that would exchange a younger D for two 19 yr olds in Wilkie & Mayo, that would be ideal.

It would be a huge mistake to return any of the current players you mention as OA's next season. Valentini is a player that the Wolves need to move for obvious reasons. Dunda is not a player we want to make a push with next season. OA's need to be quality and contribute in many ways. Leadership, experience, goal scoring or strong defensive play. Just because he has size that means nothing. His Junior career has been a huge disappointment. There has been no leadership from the older guys this year. Some issues have surfaced with players fighting with each other. More than once. An indication this team has no leadership behind the bench and with no real management around it leads to players not caring. Selfish behaviours surface and losing is consistent. This team has several issues and I hope that the new owner does not get taken advantage off because of his lack of hockey knowledge. Applaud the new vision for the team but the only way to get more positive is by getting players who all want to win and respect a good coaching and management team. Right now that isn't happening IMO.

Next year Sudbury loses the following players,

Jamieson-graduate
Yak-graduate
Capo-signed NHL
Wilkie
Mayo
Dunda
Valentini
Bowmen

Sokolov-could return to play in Russian league

Now out of that core of 19 year olds that could return as OA's.

Bowmen-Possible OA
Mayo-NO
Wilkie-NO
Dunda-NO we need to have room for the current drafted LW players such as Hucthiseon, Gaudreau etc...
Valentini-Way too selfish. Not a team player. Hasn't produced and lead offensivley as expected.

So to go along with the returning players next season we need to deal current vets to due to our lack of defensive depth and draft picks.

Capo- Deal him for a 17 or 18 year old defender and draft picks.
Valentini-Adds to any team making a run. Lets recoup a 2nd and 4th here.
Wilkie-Lets swap for any OA left on the market preferably a D. Gives us a chance to sneak into the playoffs with some experince.

So next season you end up with a line up like this to start.

Bowmen OA
McGrath 18

OGrady 19
Lalonde 17
Ali 18
Traded player for Capo 17 or 18 year old
Add an OA in the offseason 20 (Not Mayo)
Add another OA in the offseason 20
Drafted player 16
Samulsson-Wild card US player

Lzyerchuck 19
Pezzetta 19
Sokolov 19 (lets hope)
Pilon 19
Pilon 19
Lane 18
Carson 18
Garagan 18
Bulitka 18
Baker 17
Gilhula 17
Levin 18
Import player. 17 or 18
Hutcheson 17
McConville 17
Roach 17
Drafted player 16

So judging by the returning players up front it will mean we will need to make moves in the offseason to get the OA's needed on defence and not using any picks to get them. Then the roster numbers will be where they need to be.

So trading Capo is important to get that quality player for the next two years and some picks. Same with Valentini. Hope to deal Wilkie to anyone that can return an OA on defence like Sanvido from Windsor. No chance Mayo, or Dunda return next season.

Then this team has some depth next season. If they can have a strong start and retain picks then they can possibly add at next year's deadline to make a run.

WJ

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So, to make a long post longer; you agree the wolves are short on D & quality OAs next season?
I don't see Valentini as a player the wolves should want to be rid of though. Unless, receiving significantly more than a 2 & 4

Mayday3*

Trade deadline is January 10th. Date only changes if the 10th falls on a weekend.

Do you know when the OA deadline is then? I know its usually 2 days before but then it'd be on a Sunday. So either Friday the 6th or Monday the 9th I'd assume

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Do you know when the OA deadline is then? I know its usually 2 days before but then it'd be on a Sunday. So either Friday the 6th or Monday the 9th I'd assume

OA's trading deadline is Jan 6th and Jan 10th for the rest.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
IMO, a deal with Oshawa that would work for both teams would be; Vilardi 99' for Cirelli 97' and Vande Sompel 97'. Any thoughts?

This trade thought was posted on the Spits thread.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
IMO, a deal with Oshawa that would work for both teams would be; Vilardi 99' for Cirelli 97' and Vande Sompel 97'. Any thoughts?

This trade thought was posted on the Spits thread.

Vilardi is a starting point, I think more is required in return for Cirelli and Vande Sompel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad