OHL to Pro Graduation 2013

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Zharkov may just end up back in Belleville at some point this season. Alex Khoklachev made a similar move last year and ended up back in Windsor for the second half of the season. It will be interesting to see whether the Bulls hold an import card for Zharkov or if they release his rights.

Either way, I'd expect the Bulls to take a younger import forward this year (95-97 born). They are losing a ton of production up front and will need some offensive help.

Burnett's history states that he will not use the import picks. IMO he will deal the picks and leave the roster spots for younger bulls drafted players. But you could be right, i think they should not release Zharkov's rights. If he decides to return, he could bring a high return.

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011
Kingston:

Last Year's OA's

Mike Morrison(G)-University

Cody Alcock(LW)

Ryan Hanes(D)

Potential OA's

Mike Moffatt(D)

Darcy Greenaway(C)

Luke Hietkamp(RW)

Colin Furlong(G)

I think Moffatt and Greenaway will come back. If Kingston gets an OA goalie the other two won't be back.

Potential Losses

Henri Ikonen-Could play in Europe

Mikko Vainonen-Could play in Europe, but he signed with Nashville so probably will be back.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
As for the Steelheads,

We lose Brace and Cord to being OA's last year. Brace signed an ATO with Worcestor and performed very well. Might see him sign an AHL contract and see his first full pro season this upcoming fall. Cord however seems destined for play in the CIS or any other college/university

Others leaving include Percy and DeMelo who both are on NHL deals and should start the season with Toronto Marlies and Worcestor Sharks. Huge loss for Steelheads with no one capable to replace these two.

OA candidates include Diodati, Teichmann, Kontos, Foy and Smoskowitz. For me I see them keeping Diodati, Foy and Smoskowitz. Trading Kontos and Teichmann.

Young guys coming in should do ok but I'm not expecting a whole ton.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
As for the Steelheads,

We lose Brace and Cord to being OA's last year. Brace signed an ATO with Worcestor and performed very well. Might see him sign an AHL contract and see his first full pro season this upcoming fall. Cord however seems destined for play in the CIS or any other college/university

Others leaving include Percy and DeMelo who both are on NHL deals and should start the season with Toronto Marlies and Worcestor Sharks. Huge loss for Steelheads with no one capable to replace these two.

OA candidates include Diodati, Teichmann, Kontos, Foy and Smoskowitz. For me I see them keeping Diodati, Foy and Smoskowitz. Trading Kontos and Teichmann.

Young guys coming in should do ok but I'm not expecting a whole ton.

Wow I didnt realize how much you guys are losing.. That back end will be pretty bare next season. May be along season for the Steelheads but you guys had a good draft so you will turn it around quick.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Wow I didnt realize how much you guys are losing.. That back end will be pretty bare next season. May be along season for the Steelheads but you guys had a good draft so you will turn it around quick.

Banking on Carrick and Welsh developing a little more. And if we get the Diodati from 2nd half of season and not the turnover machine from the first half. Plus of course Sean Day and what he can bring in Year 1 we shouldnt be too bad. We will still be a defense first team

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Sincerest thanks for the info, we are flying through the teams.

PacoSanchez15 Was Mr Schumacher an effective player? I see he had some considerable size.
I wonder as Tolchinskiy was captain of the U18`a, if they would draft one of those high end Russians for him to play with? Where do the Soo pick in the Import Draft?

ImaBullsfan I find the Bulls GM a little puzzling with his stance on imports, as Zharkov, in between injuries and bizarre slumps, really give the Bulls "a shot in the arm".

Torts Tough times for the Steelheads: Percy has been superb for them. Quite a loss on offence too.

Suddz Thank you for the "Fronts" list. I had no idea that Spencer Watson and Sam Bennett had been so productive. With the impressive Ryan Kujawinski, they have quite a exciting young trio of forwards!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
For the Plymouth Whalers:

Definitely gone (overagers): Mitchell Heard, Colin MacDonald, Austin Levi

Most likely gone (to NHL or AHL): Rickard Rakell, Stefan Noesen, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Meurs

50/50 chance gone (not AHL eligible): Tom Wilson

Overage candidates (can only have 3): Nick Malysa, Zach Lorentz, Curtis Crombeen, Sebastian Uvira (also an import), Matt Mahalak

Of the OA candidates, I would expect Malysa, Lorentz and Crombeen to start the season with Plymouth. There is a chance Garrett Meurs could be eventually returned from his AHL club -- similar to Levi and Heard last season and Jamie Devane the year before. Vellucci will probably try to trade Mahalak if he doesn't get a pro contract, and release him if he gets no trade offers.

Uvira is the interesting one. He has not been drafted by the NHL, but would take up both an OA and import spot. However, with Rakell also leaving, both import spots would be available. If Uvira does not sign a free agent pro contract, I could see him getting the 3rd OA spot instead of Crombeen.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012

Most likely gone (to NHL or AHL): Rickard Rakell, Stefan Noesen, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Meurs

Overage candidates (can only have 3): Nick Malysa, Zach Lorentz, Curtis Crombeen, Sebastian Uvira (also an import), Matt Mahalak

Of the OA candidates, I would expect Malysa, Lorentz and Crombeen to start the season with Plymouth. There is a chance Garrett Meurs could be eventually returned from his AHL club -- similar to Levi and Heard last season and Jamie Devane the year before. Vellucci will probably try to trade Mahalak if he doesn't get a pro contract, and release him if he gets no trade offers.

Uvira is the interesting one. He has not been drafted by the NHL, but would take up both an OA and import spot. However, with Rakell also leaving, both import spots would be available. If Uvira does not sign a free agent pro contract, I could see him getting the 3rd OA spot instead of Crombeen.

Rakell, Norsen, Trochek, Meurs and Heard (maybe Uvira) is losing alot of offense. And then add on top of that Greenway is not joining the team this season. Yikes.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Rakell, Norsen, Trochek, Meurs and Heard (maybe Uvira) is losing alot of offense. And then add on top of that Greenway is not joining the team this season. Yikes.

It will definitely be a much different team next season. Best case scenario would be Wilson and Uvira both are back, joining Hartman, Mistelle, Payne and Vanderweil as the offensive threats. It will probably be more of a defensive-oriented team, though, with Mitch Jones, Alex Peters, Curcuruto, Carrick, and possibly Malysa and Crombeen returning on the blue line, as well as Nedeljkovic in goal.

I did forget one other OA candidate -- Michael Whaley. That is six viable candidates to fill three spots -- seven if Meurs gets returned from the AHL. Plymouth will be active on the trade market trying to deal some of these guys.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Burnett's history states that he will not use the import picks. IMO he will deal the picks and leave the roster spots for younger bulls drafted players. But you could be right, i think they should not release Zharkov's rights. If he decides to return, he could bring a high return.

You've made this comment a couple times so I finally had to go check. You might be surprised to find out that since Burnett's first year in 2004-05, the Bulls have never played a full season without an import on their roster. Not all of them were drafted and some were acquired mid-season, but the team has never gone a full year without burning at least one of their two import cards.

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011

I could see Mahalak going to Kingston if they want to go their usual overage goalie route

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Sincerest thanks for the info, we are flying through the teams.

PacoSanchez15 Was Mr Schumacher an effective player? I see he had some considerable size.
I wonder as Tolchinskiy was captain of the U18`a, if they would draft one of those high end Russians for him to play with? Where do the Soo pick in the Import Draft?

I like Schumacher, I think he played his best hockey during the playoffs last year against Owen Sound. Problem is he doesn't use his size as much as he probably should and his skating isn't great. He does have good hands around the net and usually isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas. I could see the Hounds taking him back if he wants to be back but if they can get another good import and upgrade the D with an OA I think that might be more beneficial.

Problem is the Hounds will pick around 35th I think? Not sure what will be available there that might be better than what Schumacher could bring as an OA.

Dave Hahn

Staff Writer
Apr 23, 2002
Outgoing OA:
JP Labardo

Next season's OA's:
Spencer Abraham
Dane Fox
Jimmy McDowell

Fox and McDowell are locks to finish their junior career in Erie, but Spencer Abraham is going to have to earn his spot. He's on the fence right now, and will have to beat out guys like Patrick Murphy, Darren Raddysh, Justin Felker and the incoming rookie defenseman Jesse Saban and Cole Mayo.

I think he will either be moved on the cheap, and if a deal can't be found he will be released in favor of whoever wins the spot out of camp. I think the 3rd OA spot could be better spent on another veteran with a little more pedigree.

I would also anticipate that the Otters will draft a defenseman in the Import draft, making it harder for Abraham to stick. Artem Kuleshov was released and will not return to Erie.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll help you out by doing some of the ones people haven't done yet for you...

Brampton/North Bay

Graduating OA's: Francis Menard, Cameron Wind, Brendan Childerley

Graduating other players: Matej Machovsky (signed in Europe), Patrik Machac (signed in Europe)

Potential OA's: Nicholas Foglia, Barclay Goodrow, Matt Macleod, Zach Bell

If Goodrow gets drafted this year and plays in the AHL/ECHL, it makes the OA decision easy in North Bay. If not, it could get complicated. Best guess would be Foglia is the odd man out. Bell and Goodrow would go nowhere, while Macleod fits very well into Butler's system and has improved a lot under him.

Oshawa Generals

Graduating OA's - Scott Sabourin, Matt Petgrave, Geoffrey Schemitsch

Graduating others - Tyler Biggs (highly doubt he returns as an overager), Boone Jenner, Lucas Lessio, Scott Laughton (got a cup of tea in Philly this year, could stick), Simon Karlsson (signed in Europe)

Potential OA's - Brian Hughes, Johnny Mcguire, Trevor Morbeck, Colin Suellentrop

Suellentrop would be the only sure thing as an OA (doesn't look like he's signing in Philly). My guess would be Mcguire gets another OA spot as a scrapper type, while Hughes and Morbeck battle it out for the 3rd.

Ottawa 67's

Graduating OA's - Michal Cajcovsky

Graduating others - n/a

Potential OA's - Ryan Van Stralen, Clint Windsor

The 67's will have an OA spot open. Both of those guys will likely be brought back.

Owen Sound Attack

Graduating OA's - Daniel Zweep, Keevin Cutting, Nathan Chiarlitti

Graduating others - Jordan Binnington, Daniel Catenacci, Cody Ceci, Cameron Brace (possibly, if he's drafted and then signed), Gilbert Gabor (doubt he returns as an import)

Potential OA's - Cameron Brace, Steven Janes, Kyle Hope, Kurtis Gabriel, Brayden Rose

The OA situation in Owen sound is VERY murky. All 5 of those players are contributing members. If Brace returns, he's a lock to be one of the OA's, with the other 4 players fighting it out. My guess would be that Rose stays because the Attack defense is losing a lot next year in Ceci, Chiarlitti and Cutting. They'll need a veteran back there. Hope and Gabriel play similar roles so there would only be a need for one of them.

Sarnia Sting

Graduating OA's - Charles Sarault, JP Anderson

Graduating others - Reid Boucher, Connor Murphy (perhaps, although with his injury issues, maybe they send him back to junior for another year)

Potential OA's - Nickolas Latta, Craig Duininck, Alex Basso, Knick Dawe, Taki Pantziris, MAYBE Connor Murphy

Dawe is an easy cut, even if the Sting need goaltending. Pantziris just joined the team from NCAA, but I don't see him being better than any of the other OA's they've got. Unfortunately it's a business, but I can't see him sticking around unless other players are dealt to help the rebuild. Latta no longer counts as an import, so he'll stay and provide leadership at the forward position. Duininck and Basso are also staying. The real tricky part would be if Murphy gets sent back. If that's the case, my guess would be Duininck being dealt.

Windsor Spitfires

Graduating OA's - Alex Aleardi, Emerson Clark

Graduating others - Alex Khokhlachev, Jaroslav Pavelka (can't see Windsor keeping him as an import and OA, probably signs in Europe)

Potential OA's - Jaroslav Pavelka (see above), Remy Giftopoulos

I know the Spits don't have many returning imports, but I still can't see Pavelka back. My guess is the Spits go out and take two high profile imports to rectify last year's disaster at the import draft. That means no more Pavelka. And I'm sure Rychel and management would love to bring in a couple of better OA's who could be available (perhaps one of Owen Sound's).

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
I'll help you out by doing some of the ones people haven't done yet for you...

Brock, as a fan from another continent, your work at OHL prospects is a blooming life saver mate!
Many, many hours are pinched at work reading your weekly guides, and many many litres of the works printer ink are stolen, as I print out your indepth reports!
Thank you so much!

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Uvira is going back to Germany and has already signed with the Augsburg Panther to play in the DEL next season. So he won't be going back to play Junior hockey.
Which is too bad, I would have liked to see him another season in Plymouth.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Uvira is going back to Germany and has already signed with the Augsburg Panther to play in the DEL next season. So he won't be going back to play Junior hockey.
Which is too bad, I would have liked to see him another season in Plymouth.

Thanks for the information, Maverick. I had not seen a report of his signing, but it does not surprise me that he would return to Europe. I would have loved to see him another year in Plymouth, too. He was a pleasant surprise after being added at the trade deadline, and played especially well in the playoffs.

That leaves the Plymouth OA candidates as Lorentz, Malysa, Crombeen, Whaley, Mahalak and Meurs (who should start the season in the AHL). I boldfaced the ones most likely to get the spots at the beginning of the season. I would expect Whaley to get some interest on the trade market. I doubt they will get much interest for Mahalak, though (maybe a late round draft pick, at most).

Uvira's departure also will leave both import spots open.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
London graduates include:
Tommy Hughes and Tyler Ferry

Of the following players...3 are eligible to return as OverAgers.

Scott Harrington,Alex Broadhurst,Seth Griffith,Justin Sefton and Paxton Leroux. Of those 5 I would think Sefton,Leroux and Broadhurst come back.

The Knights could lose one of these 3 if chosen by the "right" team in the upcoming NHL draft.

Bo Horvat,Max Domi, Nikita Zadorov. I highly doubt any of them stick in the NHL..fans elsewhere would argue.

Subtract the 2 OA's plus Harrington and Griffith and London's team next year will be pretty much the same as this year..especially up front.

I agree with you but I actually see Griffith not graduating to the AHL. I honestly think he needs to build strength in his core. I also see them see them trading Leroux to make room for him....

Section19

Sep 17, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Loosie: I am thinking positive things for the Wolves next year. Tried to listen to a few of their games, but oddly, they only broadcast road games via the teams internet radio station.
Like the combo of Kahun and Kubulik in their second year....
Dodero looked great in the NHL this season.

I believe you mean to say Corrado looked good when he got called up to Vancouver. Dodero only signed an ATO with the Rangers AHL affiliate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad