OHL Broadcasts/Media

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Curious, what are your favourite OHL broadcasts aside from your own? And who are your favourite follows on Twitter for all things OHL/CHL?
Aside from Owen Sound, Guelph's broadcast is probably my number 2 broadcast across the whole league.

As for media across the league there is many good people who are good in OHL. Manny Pavia from Windsor is and continues to be one the veterans of all things across the OHL/CHL. He has been a staple for having an unbiased opinion and has done a very good job of promoting the OHL/CHL dating back to his time as a news reporter for Owen Sound and has taken that quality and respect to Windsor as well as the For Future Considerations Podcast.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Aside from Owen Sound, Guelph's broadcast is probably my number 2 broadcast across the whole league.

As for media across the league there is many good people who are good in OHL. Manny Pavia from Windsor is and continues to be one the veterans of all things across the OHL/CHL. He has been a staple for having an unbiased opinion and has done a very good job of promoting the OHL/CHL dating back to his time as a news reporter for Owen Sound and has taken that quality and respect to Windsor as well as the For Future Considerations Podcast.
I second that with Guelphs broadcast crew. Very well done.

Reactions: AttackSound

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think Oshawa's group is the best. Really know their stuff & are very fair both ways. IMO best goal call in the league, too.

NIAs is really good too. They have great chemistry. SSM & GUE best in the West.

As for follows.. The KIT guys (Mike Farwell, Josh Brown), GensUpdates, PetesUpdates, ColinWard, Ben Leeson, Dave Jewell are some of my favorites

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I think Oshawa's group is the best. Really know their stuff & are very fair both ways. IMO best goal call in the league, too.

NIAs is really good too. They have great chemistry. SSM & GUE best in the West.

As for follows.. The KIT guys (Mike Farwell, Josh Brown), GensUpdates, PetesUpdates, ColinWard, Ben Leeson, Dave Jewell are some of my favorites
Mike Luck has been “called up” several times the last 2 years to do Hockey Night In Canada broadcasts too. He usually does the Sens games

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Next time your team is playing Sarnia, stream Leigh Cunningham and Patrick DesRochers on CHOK. Great PBP and non-homers. I’ve listened to lots of broadcasts; they’re the best

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'll echo the Oshawa crew as the best TV broadcast. I've always liked the London radio broadcast as well. Call me a homer but Leigh Cunningham and Patrick DesRochers do a really good radio broadcast out of Sarnia.

Reactions: StingUpdates

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I haven't listened to Leigh since he was in Saginaw but he's one of the best in the biz.

I enjoy listening to the SSM broadcasters but their camera people film the game like they're using 1996 VHS Camcorders...It's almost unwatchable.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
This is going to be an unpopular opinion if the Rangers thread is any indication but I enjoy Farwell and Pope. Yes they are clear homers but they are entertaining so its all good.
Also I think they are the only ones who take post game fan calls and that trainwreck is a great way to spend my drive home from the Knights game on Friday nights..

The Fridays with Farwell short youtube clips are usually pretty good and infomative too.

It's my home broadcast so Im breaking the thread rules here but Mike Stubbs and Jim Van Horne are top of the class for sure...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Commentary from Matier out of the Soo is excellent. Also like Oshawa guy... Comes prepared, does his homework. Also like Sarnia's Doyle.
Mark and Mark for me. Mark M from the Soo is the best colour guy hands down and it is not even close. Mark from the Owen Sound has the slight edge for me on PBP but Mr Luck in Oshawa is close.
If you're looking for pure entertainment then Reid In Hamilton, Jack in Flint and Burkholder in Niagara are your guys. They bring it up a notch for sure .
Terry is a knowledgeable guy in Sarnia but he is way to dry, need to nap by the end of the 1st.

No idea about Windsor as I rarely watch them.

Reactions: StingUpdates

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Mark and Mark for me. Mark M from the Soo is the best colour guy hands down and it is not even close. Mark from the Owen Sound has the slight edge for me on PBP but Mr Luck in Oshawa is close.
If you're looking for pure entertainment then Reid In Hamilton, Jack in Flint and Burkholder in Niagara are your guys. They bring it up a notch for sure .
Terry is a knowledgeable guy in Sarnia but he is way to dry, need to nap by the end of the 1st.

No idea about Windsor as I rarely watch them.
Windsor hasn't been good since Papa and Kelso... ;)

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I know he is my local guy but Jim Gilchrist in KIngston is closing in on 3000 broadcasts or just over it. I find him fair and reasonable and kudos to his longevity.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
This is going to be an unpopular opinion if the Rangers thread is any indication but I enjoy Farwell and Pope. Yes they are clear homers but they are entertaining so its all good.
Also I think they are the only ones who take post game fan calls and that trainwreck is a great way to spend my drive home from the Knights game on Friday nights..

The Fridays with Farwell short youtube clips are usually pretty good and infomative too.

It's my home broadcast so Im breaking the thread rules here but Mike Stubbs and Jim Van Horne are top of the class for sure...
I like Farwell too. I enjoy his OHL podcast as well.

Reactions: sbpointer

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

The first time I heard Stubbs it was jarring. After I got used to him, I've really enjoyed listening to him call a game.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
I like the Niagara guys and also the North Bay broadcasters. I find the North Bay guys give you a lot of information about players on both teams which is nice to see. Too often the broadcasters only focus on the home team.

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
The crew in NB deserve mention, the CC guy knows the league and not just the Battalion. Seems to have good chemistry with the PxP, both names escape me athe moment.
range rupul and greg theberge

Greatger

May 11, 2007
The crew in NB deserve mention, the CC guy knows the league and not just the Battalion. Seems to have good chemistry with the PxP, both names escape me athe moment.
Raj Rupal and Greg Deberge and yes they are vey knowlegable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad