OHL Award Predictions

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I thought this would be interesting but I’m interested to see who wins. I might be off by a lot, but hopefully I’m close with at least the Finalists.

Here is my breakdown of the Winners and Finalists (2) of each award.

Red Tilson Trophy (Most Outstanding Player)
Winner: David Goyette (SDY)
Finalists: Easton Cowan (LDN), Anthony Romani (NB)

Eddie Powers Trophy (Top Scorer)
Finalists: Anthony Romani (NB), Carson Rehkopf (KIT)

Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy (Top scoring Right Winger)
Finalists: Denver Barkey (LDN), Anthony Romani (NB)

Emms Family Award (Rookie of the Year)
Winner: Carter George (OS)
Finalists: Sam O’Rielly (LDN), Jake O’Brien (BFD)

Max Kaminsky Trophy (Defenseman of the Year)
Winner: Hunter Brzustewicz (KIT)
Finalists: Oliver Bonk (LDN) Zayne Parekh (SAG)

Jim Rutherford Trophy (Goalie of the Year)
Winner: Michael Simpson (LDN)
Finalists: Jacob Oster (OSH), Charlie Schenkel (SSM)

Leo Lalonde Trophy (Overage Player of the Year)
Winner: Matthew Sop (KIT)
Finalists: Deni Goure (OS), Jack Beck (SSM)

Jim Gregory Trophy (GM of the Year Award)
Winner: Dave Drinkell (SAG)
Finalists: Mike McKenzie (KIT), Rob Papineau (SDY)

Matt Leyden Trophy (Coach of the Year)
Winner: Jussi Ahokas (KIT)
Finalists: Jay McKee (BFD), Chris Lazary SAG)

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Matt Leyden Trophy (Coach of the Year)
Winner: Jussi Ahokas (KIT)
Finalists: Jay McKee (HAM), Chris Lazary SAG)
Super biased here but Dean (Greyhounds) deserves consideration for this...everyone was out for his head by the end of last season after our dismal performance and to see the turn around we did from there was fantastic

Jim Gregory Trophy (GM of the Year Award)
Winner: Dave Drinkell (SAG)
Finalists: Mike McKenzie (KIT), Rob Papineau (SDY)
With what Peterborough did at the trade deadline, I think Oke deserves this one...Drinkell did what was expected of him this year so I wouldn't say he stands out from any other candidate in that regard

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Super biased here but Dean (Greyhounds) deserves consideration for this...everyone was out for his head by the end of last season after our dismal performance and to see the turn around we did from there was fantastic

With what Peterborough did at the trade deadline, I think their Oke deserves this one...Drinkell did what was expected of him this year so I wouldn't say he stands out from any other candidate in that regard

I think the top GM cannot be for a team that finishes last. I understand he had a great deadline selling players but his abilities will need to be judged in future years if those players help build another championship team. At that point, he would be considered.

SSM has lived up to expectations and nothing more.they are a ~.700% team which is in and around where they sere predicted by many. There is something to be said about living up to expectations but when there are other teams living up to expectations that are at a much higher level, I think those coaches are more deserving. Additionally, there are some coaches that are running benches for teams that have exceeded expectations like Jay McKee in Brantford (If they win the Conference).

A few of the awards are very subjective. However, if there is a player that was a high scorer (Goyette) that didn’t play for Team Canada, they get passed over for a more high profile player like Rehkopf, Cowan, Beck, or Bonk. Rehkopf is likely to score 50 goals and played for Team canada. Beck plays a strong two-way game and could get consideration with his profile being relatively high. We’ve seen instances int he past where this has happened. A guy further down the scoring list gets the nod because he is a centre on one of the top 2-3 teams that was a Team Canada player. So, I am not sure Goyette would get the vote.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

With what Peterborough did at the trade deadline, I think their Oke deserves this one...Drinkell did what was expected of him this year so I wouldn't say he stands out from any other candidate in that regard
Oake did have a good deadline, but I would not vote a GM that steered a playoff roster to last place GM of the year.
Right now, it’s the Brantford GM for me. He received two of the best returns for selling D at the deadline, yet his team has improved. He made some great trades to suit his coach imo.
The Saginaw and NB GMs should get consideration too.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Only picking the ones that are selected vs numbers based. And these are more my personal opinions instead of what I think will happen.

Red Tilson: Rehkopf (Kitchener could nominate Bzusterwicz). If they do I’d say Romani over Goyette.
Rookie: O’Brien
Defenseman: Dickinson
Goalie: George
OA: Sop
GM: Drinkell
Coach: McKee

First team OHL
Goyette
Rehkopf
Romani
Dickinson
Parekh
McKee

Second
Barkey
Cowan
Greentree
Brzusterwicz
Bonk
Lazary

Third
Beck
Musty
Dvorsky
Mayer
Nelson
Oulahen

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Papineau should not be anywhere near GM of the year. The team would be in shambles if he did not luck his way into having Dvorsky assigned to Sudbury by STL.

That is a solid point. I wouldn’t write him off but Sudbry entered the season as the odds on favourite to win the Conference and it is unlikely they finish with 90+ points. To me, any team that’s the pre-season favourite for the conference that doesn’t get 90+ points shouldn’t be even considered.

Reactions: djscooter

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think if Papineau was more aggressive at the trade deadline he would be a solid pick for consideration
I am not a fan of Papineau.
But what could he have done; add yet another forward losing Villeneuve? He was taking Giroux whether he wanted to or not. There was not a real goaltending option. Papineau did what he had to, acquire left and right D.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

With what Peterborough did at the trade deadline, I think Oke deserves this one...Drinkell did what was expected of him this year so I wouldn't say he stands out from any other candidate in that regard

I agree about Dean. He’s gotta be in conversations. He may not win, but definitely will be in conversation.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am not a fan of Papineau.
But what could he have done; add yet another forward losing Villeneuve? He was taking Giroux whether he wanted to or not. There was not a real goaltending option. Papineau did what he had to, acquire left and right D.

Politics are involved in everything to do with Major Junior so we don’t have a strong sense of who would go to Sudbury vs who Papineau wanted to add.

My issue isn’t necessarily what he added but what he traded. I am still baffled at how Peterborough managed to get so many ‘07s. An ‘07 for McCoy is silliness IMO. Including Protz in the Van Vliet deal is also a bit sketchy for me.

IMO, if you re trading a 1st rounder, you best know that is the LAST piece of the puzzle ot put you over the top. Neither of those deals put Sudbury over the top. They only kept them in the pack.

That is how I see it. It doesn’t mean the landscape has not changed. If it has, I don’t like it! Dealing a 1st, make sure it is someone like MacT or whomever the top player available is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Politics are involved in everything to do with Major Junior so we don’t have a strong sense of who would go to Sudbury vs who Papineau wanted to add.

My issue isn’t necessarily what he added but what he traded. I am still baffled at how Peterborough managed to get so many ‘07s. An ‘07 for McCoy is silliness IMO. Including Protz in the Van Vliet deal is also a bit sketchy for me.

IMO, if you re trading a 1st rounder, you best know that is the LAST piece of the puzzle ot put you over the top. Neither of those deals put Sudbury over the top. They only kept them in the pack.

That is how I see it. It doesn’t mean the landscape has not changed. If it has, I don’t like it! Dealing a 1st, make sure it is someone like MacT or whomever the top player available is.
Costs were not as consistent as last season imo. I thought the price for VanVliet was very high. If the wolves have McCoy for two years, it may be a bargain. Maillet for 2,3,3,5 was a 3rd too high. It is a lot for a bit better than average OA imo.
I disagree a little about trading 1sts. In some cases the GM has seen enough to have a good idea what he is giving up. Saginaw got the best 2-way player available for one that was not playing. North Bay got what they needed, and probably more than expected for their 1st.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Costs were not as consistent as last season imo. I thought the price for VanVliet was very high. If the wolves have McCoy for two years, it may be a bargain. Maillet for 2,3,3,5 was a 3rd too high. It is a lot for a bit better than average OA imo.
I disagree a little about trading 1sts. In some cases the GM has seen enough to have a good idea what he is giving up. Saginaw got the best 2-way player available for one that was not playing. North Bay got what they needed, and probably more than expected for their 1st.

I think NB did well for theirs considering they got three players. They didn’t have picks available so they did well getting a solid overall package when you consider they had mostly depth picks.

The problem with 1st rounders when we are talking about the better teams is there typically isnt’ a spot for them to play in the depth chart so these guys aren’t’ really showing anything in year one. That is not uncommon. Unless you have a top 5 pick, your first rounder typically isn’t doing anything other than acclimatizing to the league as an underage. Poor teams may be able to give more ice but better teams not as much.

Reactions: dirty12

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

You won't hear me complaining about how many '07s the Petes managed to acquire! I feel like the entire league is still kinda shocked about that. Add in Valentini/Wassilyn/Belchetz as well as a potential top 5 pick next year and the Petes could really be a force in a few years

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You won't hear me complaining about how many '07s the Petes managed to acquire! I feel like the entire league is still kinda shocked about that. Add in Valentini/Wassilyn/Belchetz as well as a potential top 5 pick next year and the Petes could really be a force in a few years
Potential top 5 pick? How about a guaranteed top 4 and a potential #1!

Petes were bandits!

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
A few of the awards are very subjective. However, if there is a player that was a high scorer (Goyette) that didn’t play for Team Canada, they get passed over for a more high profile player like Rehkopf, Cowan, Beck, or Bonk. Rehkopf is likely to score 50 goals and played for Team canada. Beck plays a strong two-way game and could get consideration with his profile being relatively high. We’ve seen instances int he past where this has happened. A guy further down the scoring list gets the nod because he is a centre on one of the top 2-3 teams that was a Team Canada player. So, I am not sure Goyette would get the vote.
Rehkopf likely going to be closer to 60 than 50, and probably within 5 pts of scoring title if he doesn't win it. Going to be hard pressed to give Red Tilson to someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad