OHL: 67's trade Konecny

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Traded to Sarnia

"The return for Ottawa is huge as the 67’s will get back centre Sasha Chmelevski, winger Chase Campbell, three second-round draft picks, three third-round draft picks and two fifth-round draft picks. The 67’s will also receive two additional second-round draft picks from the Sting if Konecny, a Philadelphia Flyers prospect, returns to the OHL next season"

Per Ottawa Sun (sorry, can't link the article for some reason)

What a huge deal for the 67's. That's one of the biggest I've ever seen.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
67's took the plunge then. They weren't going anywhere this year anyway, and got (from what I understand) great assets.

(Guess AJ was wrong about the first rounder though)

Last edited:

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
67's took the plunge then. They weren't going anywhere this year anyway, and got (from what I understand) great assets.

(Guess AJ was wrong about the first rounder though)

That is a massive return. It's too bad because Konecny is the type of player that you build an OHL champion around. A bit of a wasted opportunity.

They need a lot though, so hopefully a number of the picks pan out.

Also have some extra picks in the next couple of years from trades last year I believe.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are some unhappy fans, of course, but this was a necessary move. Jeff Brown is still taking out the trash from his predecessor, Chris Byrne, who had a series of bad drafts. Even more telling was the failure by the 67's a few years ago to trade Sean Monahan under similar circumstances. They assumed that he would be back with them the following season, but in fact he made the Calgary Flames out of camp. Doh! I believe that the same will happen here - Travis Konecny can easily fit into the Flyers' bottom six as a winger next Fall, and is highly unlikely to be back in the OHL as a result.

One silver lining to all of this - it positions Ottawa to bid for the Memorial Cup in 2018. Presuming that they are successful, they now have the assets in place to go be buyers themselves two years from now to get ready for it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ouch! It's not like Sarnia is some kind of powerhouse, either. Why not send Konecny to Erie or London? You know, a team with a chance to go for a championship?

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
One silver lining to all of this - it positions Ottawa to bid for the Memorial Cup in 2018. Presuming that they are successful, they now have the assets in place to go be buyers themselves two years from now to get ready for it.

I can't see Ottawa getting the Memorial Cup as long as the Civic Centre looks the way it does. It's in dire need of repairs/replacement. Unless they play the MC at Canadian Tire Centre.

As for the trade, it's a home run for the 67's. Kudos to Jeff Brown for being a realist, recognizing the situation and getting a big-time return. Also noticed that he was playing Studnucka a lot this year, that really boosted his value and helped fetch a larger return.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't see Ottawa getting the Memorial Cup as long as the Civic Centre looks the way it does. It's in dire need of repairs/replacement. Unless they play the MC at Canadian Tire Centre.

All the Civic Centre needs is a new Press Box and it's good to go. There's really nothing wrong with the rest of the building, although I think they need to get back to a scoreboard hung from centre ice. Apparently they haven't done anything to the suites up top because they know they can't sell them for junior hockey anyway. That would likely change with a Memorial Cup. OSEG has been pretty successful running the rest of the facility - I think they'd manage the Memorial Cup just fine.

Besides, the Sens are going to be playing at the CTC every May for years to come, right? :naughty:

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

As for the trade, it's a home run for the 67's. Kudos to Jeff Brown for being a realist, recognizing the situation and getting a big-time return. Also noticed that he was playing Studnucka a lot this year, that really boosted his value and helped fetch a larger return.

When was the last time you were in there? After the reno (2 years ago) the place looks phenomenal. The lights are much much brighter than before, the new HD screen is big and crisp, the concourses are nicer (imo) than CTC (roomier, more outside light). Even the seats look new and fresh. Plus the place reeks of hockey history; do you really want to tear down the Sens' original home? Not to mention it has actual stuff to do around it before and after.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Traded to Sarnia

"The return for Ottawa is huge as the 67’s will get back centre Sasha Chmelevski, winger Chase Campbell, three second-round draft picks, three third-round draft picks and two fifth-round draft picks. The 67’s will also receive two additional second-round draft picks from the Sting if Konecny, a Philadelphia Flyers prospect, returns to the OHL next season"

Per Ottawa Sun (sorry, can't link the article for some reason)

What a huge deal for the 67's. That's one of the biggest I've ever seen.

Holy Lord, that's a ton of draft picks! And that Chmelevski kid looks like he has some real upside.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The actual trade is this

OTTAWA trades

Sam Studnicka

Travis Konecny

3rd Rnd '16

to SARNIA for

Sasha Chmelevski

Chase Campbell

OS's 2nd Rnd '16

SSM's 2nd Rnd '17

Wsr's 3rd Rnd '17

Sag's 5th Rnd '17

2nd Rnd '19

3rd Rnd '19

Osh's 5th Rnd '19

3rd Rnd '20

2nd Rnd '21 (cond.)

2nd Rnd '22 (cond.)

so you will see that Ottawa gets 2 players immediately, then the rest is draft picks 1 next year 3 in 2017, 3 in 2019 and 1 in 20,21,22.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There are some unhappy fans, of course, but this was a necessary move. Jeff Brown is still taking out the trash from his predecessor, Chris Byrne, who had a series of bad drafts. Even more telling was the failure by the 67's a few years ago to trade Sean Monahan under similar circumstances. They assumed that he would be back with them the following season, but in fact he made the Calgary Flames out of camp. Doh! I believe that the same will happen here - Travis Konecny can easily fit into the Flyers' bottom six as a winger next Fall, and is highly unlikely to be back in the OHL as a result.

The rebuild continues... The situation was not the same when Monahan was here either the team was much worse.

Konecny will be back in the OHL next season Phillys isnt stupid you dont rush undersized players. Monahan was/is much bigger and more polished.

Brown had a chance to build around a really strong core this year and didnt do it Byrne is not to blame this was year 3 having Konecny. No first rounder either... Seems like a ton of quantity for quality.

Before Konecny left for the WJC wasnt Ottawa 2 points out of first in the conference? I know the west is much stronger but will they ever make a run if they keep rebuilding? May as well trade everyone at this point that is a veteran.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
When was the last time you were in there? After the reno (2 years ago) the place looks phenomenal. The lights are much much brighter than before, the new HD screen is big and crisp, the concourses are nicer (imo) than CTC (roomier, more outside light). Even the seats look new and fresh. Plus the place reeks of hockey history; do you really want to tear down the Sens' original home? Not to mention it has actual stuff to do around it before and after.

''Phenomenal'' is being quite generous. TD Place Arena(Civic Centre) has the exact same seats as it did prior to the major Lansdowne renovations, and has a condemned press box and dilapidated suites hanging over the entire half curtained off rink.

OSEG replaced a few light bulbs, and added a big screen tv (that only one side of the rink can see)....but overall even judging by their extra wide concourses with football gridiron themed floors... the 67s were a very distant afterthought when it came to the Lansdowne redevelopment.

I still love going to 67s games at TD Place, as its still great old rink to see junior hockey in, and the location is excellent. But you'd be foolish to believe that the place has been significantly upgraded over the last two years. If they have any shot at all of landing a Mem Cup in the near future...finally renovating and opening the press box, and the curtained off sections of the arena would go a long way.

Anyways, the Konecny trade is probably the biggest trade in 67s history, and sets up the team as a potential contender within 2 years.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Scores his first for Sarnia but his replacement Sasha Chmelevski scores for 67's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad