Proposal: Offseason Trade

Juicemeister

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all,

Not a Wild fan myself but was talking with a friend about NY (he is a Rangers fan) about a potential offseason deal.

The Wild have $16.2M next offseason but have a lot of depth. They have 4 good defenseman, with Suter having a NMC. Brodin only has one year left after the playoffs, could he be available? Spurgeon was just extended and Dumba is one year younger with more term. So I assume he’s exposed in the draft?

Minnesota traded away Zucker so I assume they are still re-tooling?

We also talked about the Rangers targeting Joel Eriksson-Ek. I don’t know if he’s protected or not. I don’t know where he’s valued among Donato, Greenway, Kunin, etc.

So the two main pieces are Brodin and Eriksson Ek.

The Wild need a goalie and a young goalie so Georgiev seemed like a perfect fit. The Rangers have a plethora of forwards, maybe Vitali Kravstov? He is talented and expansion exempt. The Rangers also have some good defense prospects, so Zac Jones (whose stock has been rising). The Rangers are a fringe team but need some cap relief.

Brendan Smith has 1 year left and is UFA in 2021. His salary basically equals Brodins 4.35 to 4.17). The Rangers also can add a conditional 2nd? Becomes a first if they make the playoffs?

To summarize,
Brodin + Eriksson Ek

for

Kravstov/Jones + Georgiev + Smith + 2nd/1st

I think if Brodin extends before trade, the Wild could pull both Jones and Kravstov.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Hi all,

Not a Wild fan myself but was talking with a friend about NY (he is a Rangers fan) about a potential offseason deal.

The Wild have $16.2M next offseason but have a lot of depth. They have 4 good defenseman, with Suter having a NMC. Brodin only has one year left after the playoffs, could he be available? Spurgeon was just extended and Dumba is one year younger with more term. So I assume he’s exposed in the draft?

Minnesota traded away Zucker so I assume they are still re-tooling?

We also talked about the Rangers targeting Joel Eriksson-Ek. I don’t know if he’s protected or not. I don’t know where he’s valued among Donato, Greenway, Kunin, etc.

So the two main pieces are Brodin and Eriksson Ek.

The Wild need a goalie and a young goalie so Georgiev seemed like a perfect fit. The Rangers have a plethora of forwards, maybe Vitali Kravstov? He is talented and expansion exempt. The Rangers also have some good defense prospects, so Zac Jones (whose stock has been rising). The Rangers are a fringe team but need some cap relief.

Brendan Smith has 1 year left and is UFA in 2021. His salary basically equals Brodins 4.35 to 4.17). The Rangers also can add a conditional 2nd? Becomes a first if they make the playoffs?

To summarize,
Brodin + Eriksson Ek

for

Kravstov/Jones + Georgiev + Smith + 2nd/1st

I think if Brodin extends before trade, the Wild could pull both Jones and Kravstov.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Trading Brodin without a top 6 center coming back is not something that is going to be well received.

Adding Eriksson Ek further depletes a position that is our greatest organizational weakness.

We're all pretty high on Kahkonen, so Georgiev definitely doesn't have the kind of value to us that would bring Brodin or Eriksson Ek into the conversation.

Not going to work.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nice try Ranger fan. You ask for a top pairing LHD and our top young center and you offer your spare parts?

Juicemeister

Jul 21, 2020
Nice try Ranger fan. You ask for a top pairing LHD and our top young center and you offer your spare parts?
I’m not a Rangers fan.

Kravstov was a 9th overall pick, he’s hardly a spare part. He’s very good.

Although it was all in speculation. I expect the Wild will find a way to keep Brodin in spite of the looming expansion draft.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m not a Rangers fan.

Kravstov was a 9th overall pick, he’s hardly a spare part. He’s very good.

Although it was all in speculation. I expect the Wild will find a way to keep Brodin in spite of the looming expansion draft.
Kravtsov is a fine prospects, but we need impact centers yesterday

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kravstov has hardly been good so far. So you state that the Wild are retooling, then kindly offer to take their young players from them in trade? They desperately needs C's and you want to take their only young one? Bad offer that would be turned down easily.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah that is a huge pass for me. Kravstov looks less and less likely to be a difference maker. Georgiev is not even a sure upgrade over Kahkonen. And we give up a good young middle 6 C and one of the best defensive dmen in the NHL?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kravtsov also appears to be a diva. Bad enough with a talented NHL'er, but with a moderately talented prospect? Who needs a piece of that?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well lundquist would give us a little more time to develop kahkonen & hunter jones. even russo said the other day that zuccarello hasn't done much in mn.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
well lundquist would give us a little more time to develop kahkonen & hunter jones. even russo said the other day that zuccarello hasn't done much in mn.

No he wouldn't, he has one year left on his contract and he isn't good

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How does trading for a terrible goaltender with only 1yr on his deal but any time vs already having our own terrible goaltender with 1yr remaining on his deal?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers fan here. How would you guys feel about Strome + Buchnevich for Brodin + Eriksson Ek?

If you did want a goalie, we could swap Georgiev for Greenway.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rangers fan here. How would you guys feel about Strome + Buchnevich for Brodin + Eriksson Ek?

No that's no good. We have no use for Buchnevich and no interest in giving away either Brodin or Eriksson Ek for any part of that package.

I would do something around Greenway for Georgiev, but I doubt Guerin would, that's not great asset management when Georgiev's value is probably like a 3rd.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

No that's no good. We have no use for Buchnevich and no interest in giving away either Brodin or Eriksson Ek for any part of that package.

I would do something around Greenway for Georgiev, but I doubt Guerin would, that's not great asset management when Georgiev's value is probably like a 3rd.
Seconded. Strome would be a nice addition, but I'm less interested in prying him away from a team that still needs centers after a career year next to one of the best wingers in the league. I'd rather look for a guy that's currently in the position Strome was in prior to New York.

Georgiev for a 2nd might be worth looking at, but it looks like there are quite a few goalie options in the trade and free agent markets. I'd rather go after a cheaper reclamation trade (maybe Allen?) or a free agent.

Buchnevich doesn't really have a place here.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Seconded. Strome would be a nice addition, but I'm less interested in prying him away from a team that still needs centers after a career year next to one of the best wingers in the league. I'd rather look for a guy that's currently in the position Strome was in prior to New York.

Georgiev for a 2nd might be worth looking at, but it looks like there are quite a few goalie options in the trade and free agent markets. I'd rather go after a cheaper reclamation trade (maybe Allen?) or a free agent.

Buchnevich doesn't really have a place here.

That's fair.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Eriksson Ek is pretty much untouchable unless the overpaying is brutal. At the worst end he is one of the top shutdown 3rd line Cs in the league. At the ceiling he is a future top 6 Center.

he is still only 23 and I believe we haven’t seen the best of him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad