Status
Not open for further replies.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
HAHAHAHA

If it's wrong, then I don't want to be right

Couture without Marleau as our 1C is a pipe dream...for every other team in the pacific division :laugh:

So would any other 1C if you took away one of the best wingers in the game and offered no replacement. :laugh:

Couture would do fine with a lesser Marleau. Patty isn't the end of Logan's career.

Not that i want to replace Patty on the wing.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I can't wait to see the what happened to Pavelski / couture for a 2nd threads pop up next season if JT and PM get moved

JT contributed greatly to Pavelskis goal totals and overal play

Couture shutting down lines without Marleau will be hell

I continue my statement that by leadership turnover he meant Niemi gone along with Boyle and Marty. That's 3 vets right there, not to mention Hannan and likely Kennedy, Burish and Stuart.

That's tons of leadership in the room that will be gone 7 players in total. Anymore turnover than that is just unrealistic

You really think those guys are considered leaders? Age doesn't mean leadership necessarily. Niemi can barely speak English, I doubt players are looking to him for leadership, especially when he's giving up a softie a game. Havlat and Kennedy were pizza boys for pete's sake.

Boyle is the only one who could be considered a leader among that group.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So would any other 1C if you took away one of the best wingers in the game and offered no replacement. :laugh:

Couture would do fine with a lesser Marleau. Patty isn't the end of Logan's career.

Not that i want to replace Patty on the wing.

Hahaha no he isn't, not in the pacific division anyway, maybe in the ****** eastern conference

Couture will get absolutely crushed by Kopitar or Getzlaf if he doesn't have daddy Patty there to babysit him

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Hahaha no he isn't, not in the pacific division anyway, maybe in the ****** eastern conference

Couture will get absolutely crushed by Kopitar or Getzlaf if he doesn't have daddy Patty there to babysit him

I agree with you. Cooch is not a player that runs a line by himself. He is a Patrick sharp type. Both extremely skilled, can make you pay if you give them time, but don't dominate a game like Kane, toews or even hossa.

I have no doubt if you gave him linemates to carry he would fail at it.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I can't wait to see the what happened to Pavelski / couture for a 2nd threads pop up next season if JT and PM get moved

JT contributed greatly to Pavelskis goal totals and overal play

Couture shutting down lines without Marleau will be hell

I continue my statement that by leadership turnover he meant Niemi gone along with Boyle and Marty. That's 3 vets right there, not to mention Hannan and likely Kennedy, Burish and Stuart.

That's tons of leadership in the room that will be gone 7 players in total. Anymore turnover than that is just unrealistic

Go watch all 41 goals on NHL.com and then claim Thornton was the reason for Pavs having a career year. Pavelski got greasy this year, cleaned up trash, and got lucky with some terrible goaltending.

Couture shutting down lines with Wingels replacing Marleau will be hell. Is Marleau leaving for a 2nd round pick?

Boyle was the only core player and leader you listed.

Sharks - Jumbo & Patty + Nothing isn't a valid scenario for our other players being crap next year.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I agree with you. Cooch is not a player that runs a line by himself. He is a Patrick sharp type. Both extremely skilled, can make you pay if you give them time, but don't dominate a game like Kane, toews or even hossa.

I have no doubt if you gave him linemates to carry he would fail at it.

Kind of like when he failed to carry two goats like Heatley and Clowe......as a rookie? Oh, wait.... they were clearly carrying him :sarcasm:

Come on guys.... get real.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Go watch all 41 goals on NHL.com and then claim Thornton was the reason for Pavs having a career year. Pavelski got greasy this year, cleaned up trash, and got lucky with some terrible goaltending.

Couture shutting down lines with Wingels replacing Marleau will be hell. Is Marleau leaving for a 2nd round pick?

Sharks - Jumbo & Patty + Nothing isn't a valid scenario for our other players being crap next year.

Dude Pavs scored 41 goals cause of luck. Lotsa ****in luck. I'll be shocked if he scores 30 next year. More likely 25 or so. He had 29 points in 11 multi-point games against non-playoff teams. I think that's a pretty clear sign that he won't be a consistent producer next year, and only showed up against ****** teams he could score hat tricks against.

Couture only looked like a 1C once he got put with Marleau. Put him with Nieto and Wingels and match him against Kopitar and have fun missing the playoffs lol

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Look at Kopitar in 2012, basically where Couture is now. If he wasn't given the chance the grow into that #1 c role, he wouldn't be where he is now.
He plays with a great player in Williams , but not as good as Marleau. I don't think Couture needs Marleau, but any great line will have more then one good player. (for the record I think they should play together next season, as the defacto 1st line)

If Jumbo doesn't want to leave, ok...but he needs a reduced role and the C needs to be stripped, I just don't see how and why he should be allowed to wear it anymore.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The only time Couture has ever played against top comp is when he has had Marleau babysitting him, he won't do well at all playing top comp if he doesn't have Marleau on his wing. He's an above average 2C but he will do awful if he is playing top comp AND doesn't have Marleau.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Dude Pavs scored 41 goals cause of luck. Lotsa ****in luck. I'll be shocked if he scores 30 next year. More likely 25 or so. He had 29 points in 11 multi-point games against non-playoff teams. I think that's a pretty clear sign that he won't be a consistent producer next year, and only showed up against ****** teams he could score hat tricks against.

Couture only looked like a 1C once he got put with Marleau. Put him with Nieto and Wingels and match him against Kopitar and have fun missing the playoffs lol

Ok, luck.... getting greasy & bad goaltending..... Same thing. I agree, he's a 25-30 guy at max. I challenge anyone spouting Jumbo turned Pavs into Cheechoo, go watch all of his 41 goals.

DW won't be trading Marleau and giving Couture Wingels as a replacment. You really think he is going to **** on the kid and say "Im not spending the extra 20 mil we shipped out this offseason"?

But again, I don't want to replace Marleau. I think he is that good! BUT he's not what makes Couture good..... Couture would succeed with many other legit top 6 wingers.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Look at Kopitar in 2012, basically where Couture is now. If he wasn't given the chance the grow into that #1 c role, he wouldn't be where he is now.
He plays with a great player in Williams , but not as good as Marleau. I don't think Couture needs Marleau, but any great line will have more then one good player. (for the record I think they should play together next season, as the defacto 1st line)

If Jumbo doesn't want to leave, ok...but he needs a reduced role and the C needs to be stripped, I just don't see how and why he should be allowed to wear it anymore.

Because the C is a made up leadership role for fans/media/refferee's. The C litterally means diddly squat when it comes to the locker room and the players themselves.

Thornton and marleau stay, they will be the leaders every one looks up to when things start to go bad. If you strip thornton of the C and say give it to vlasic/pavs/couture, you are basically putting that player in a bad situation because nobody will go to them for help or advice.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That was our 2nd line.

You would know that if you weren't watching Thornton sit on the bench between shifts. :sarcasm:

I get it guys.... Couture is a 3rd line scrub. :shakehead

And the point still stands, since couture was not going up against the other teams top lines every night. Guess who that was? Can you guess? You made a little snarky comment about me and the said player.

And you want to know who was helping that player take on tough competition? Oh you guessed it, the one and only player that seems to follow the tough competition in marleau. Hmmm i wonder why it is i see a pattern forming here.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Because the C is a made up leadership role for fans/media/refferee's. The C litterally means diddly squat when it comes to the locker room and the players themselves.

Thornton and marleau stay, they will be the leaders every one looks up to when things start to go bad. If you strip thornton of the C and say give it to vlasic/pavs/couture, you are basically putting that player in a bad situation because nobody will go to them for help or advice.

that's a downright lie. Have you ever played on a hockey team? The C means a lot....you are even contradicting yourself in your post

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
God you guys have all gone insane. Marleau's the problem. No Thornton's the problem. No, Couture's the problem. No, Pavelski is the problem. We're gonna suck if we trade Marleau and Thornton. Screw that, we're gonna suck if don't trade Marleau and Thornton.

You've all gone crazy.

Marleau was having trouble playing the tough minutes alone when Couture was out. That line goes with the both of them. It's not like one guy was clearly more important than the other one. Team game. Team game. Team game Team game

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
And the point still stands, since couture was not going up against the other teams top lines every night. Guess who that was? Can you guess? You made a little snarky comment about me and the said player.

And you want to know who was helping that player take on tough competition? Oh you guessed it, the one and only player that seems to follow the tough competition in marleau. Hmmm i wonder why it is i see a pattern forming here.

See the difference is i think Thornton is a great player. One of my favorite all time Sharks.

But i also think Logan is the 2nd best player ever drafted by the franchise. ....Not some 3rd line talent that can't survive without the living legends that are Patty and Joe.

As far as "top competition" ...... i'm not even going to list players because there is no changing your mind. Couture sucks! He could never be on the ice with players like Zetterberg... He'd get hustled for goals :sarcasm:

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
God you guys have all gone insane. Marleau's the problem. No Thornton's the problem. No, Couture's the problem. No, Pavelski is the problem. We're gonna suck if we trade Marleau and Thornton. Screw that, we're gonna suck if don't trade Marleau and Thornton.

You've all gone crazy.

Marleau was having trouble playing the tough minutes alone when Couture was out. That line goes with the both of them. It's not like one guy was clearly more important than the other one. Team game. Team game. Team game Team game

Sanity. Thank you. :thumbu:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ok, luck.... getting greasy & bad goaltending..... Same thing. I agree, he's a 25-30 guy at max. I challenge anyone spouting Jumbo turned Pavs into Cheechoo, go watch all of his 41 goals.

DW won't be trading Marleau and giving Couture Wingels as a replacment. You really think he is going to **** on the kid and say "Im not spending the extra 20 mil we shipped out this offseason"?

But again, I don't want to replace Marleau. I think he is that good! BUT he's not what makes Couture good..... Couture would succeed with many other legit top 6 wingers.

I'm not saying Pavelski's success is because of Thornton, not at all. Pavelski will struggle to score 30 goals next year regardless of who he plays with.

Couture would succeed? Definitely! No doubt. HE would be a good 1B center who would score at least 30 goals and 30 assists and probably top out at around 70 points, but, when it comes to playing top matchups, like Kopitar or Getzlaf? He would do awful without Marleau at his side.

To the guy mentioning Marleau's struggles without Couture, that was when he played center, we all know Marleau is a ****** center

Jul 10, 2010

It seems as though all the trade proposals ive seen have been JT/Marleau for 1st+prospect+other asset(usually a cap dump) So yes, The Sharks-Jumbo and Patty wont have the players to fill their roles unless i missed something.Wed lose a #1 C and a #1 W for nothing that helps us immediately.

Your telling me Havlat wasnt a leader to a minimum of Hertl? I can virtually guarntee he was. I wouldnt be surprised if he helped Nieto some as well. Ill give yah Kennedy, as it seems as though he didnt really click here. Burish is a vocal guy, just cause he isnt good doesnt mean he wasnt a leader. if Niemi isnt a leader its a problem. When your goalie cant step up and have a big game thats a problem. If he isnt a leader on the ice thats a problem.

Thornton being the reason for Pavs season was taken in a different way. I meant it as defenders played more attention to Thornton, often double or even sometimes triple teaming him. giving Pavelski more space to operate, and a split second more to get his shot off. Pavelski being undetected at the net because the D is paying to much atention to JT. Just because he doesnt miracle pass assist every goal doesnt mean he didnt play a strong part in it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
See the difference is i think Thornton is a great player. One of my favorite all time Sharks.

But i also think Logan is the 2nd best player ever drafted by the franchise. ....Not some 3rd line talent that can't survive without the living legends that are Patty and Joe.

As far as "top competition" ...... i'm not even going to list players because there is no changing your mind. Couture sucks! He could never be on the ice with players like Zetterberg... He'd get hustled for goals :sarcasm:

Like this you mean?

http://youtu.be/4ep4nadvuww

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Trading Demers as a 30-40 point puck moving defenseman would be selling high. He had a good year, but he could easily go off the rails again. If we can get a LD with comparable potential/production to what Demers showed this season it wouldn't be a bad move.

Turnover or not.. There is just as much risk in Demers.

edit: Aiming much higher than Scandella or Fayne.

Do you honestly not see the problem with saying you want to trade Demers for someone like Demers on the left side? You're taking a greater risk because it's the same risky player in Demers except it's someone new that would have to get used to everything here. If you sell high on anyone, it's in your strength areas which is not the blue line right now even with Demers, Braun, and Burns all on the right side. You sell high on guys like Pavelski, Wingels, or Sheppard. If you trade Demers then who is your replacement on the right side? Tennyson? A free agent? Those aren't good options considering what the Sharks generally land in the free agent market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad