UFA - 1

Cap info:

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HIT
OVERAGES
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$80,879,476$0$212,500$1,620,524

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m interested to see how the Trenin contract negotiations go. His last contract negotiation was quite a slog for what ended up being a pretty standard contract. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see him at least filing for arbitration although the geopolitical situation may have changed his leverage with regards to going back to Russia.

Reactions: Jonesey

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What do you do as the GM this offseason? Here's my early look:

Free Agent Signings:

RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Glass, Cody
2​
$950,000​
Lauzon, Jérémy
3​
$1,500,000​
Trenin, Yakov
2​
$2,000,000​
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Zadorov, Nikita
6​
$4,500,000​
Forsberg, Filip
8​
$9,500,000​
Nichushkin, Valeri
5​
$5,000,000​
Järnkrok, Calle
3​
$2,500,000​

Trades:

Kunin to anyone that wants him for whatever pick(s) we can get

Lineup:

Left WingCenterRight Wing
Forsberg, FilipGranlund, MikaelDuchene, Matt
$9,500,000$5,000,000$8,000,000
LWC, RWC, LW, RW
UFAUFA - 3UFA - 4
Nichushkin, ValeriJohansen, RyanTomasino, Philip
$5,000,000$8,000,000$863,333
LW, RWC, RWRW, C
UFAUFA - 3RFA - 2
Trenin, YakovSissons, ColtonJeannot, Tanner
$2,000,000$2,857,143$800,000
LW, CRW, CLW, RW
RFAUFA - 4RFA - 1
Tolvanen, EeliGlass, CodyJärnkrok, Calle
$1,450,000$950,000$2,500,000
LWCLW, C, RW
RFA - 2RFAUFA
McCarron, MichaelOlivier, Mathieu
$750,000$750,000
RW, CRW
UFA - 1RFA - 1

Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Josi, RomanFabbro, DanteSaros, Juuse
$9,059,000$2,400,000$5,000,000
LDRDG
NMCRFA - 1UFA - 3
UFA - 6
Ekholm, MattiasCarrier, AlexandreIngram, Connor
$6,250,000$733,333$733,333
LDRDG
UFA - 4RFA - 1RFA - 1
Zadorov, NikitaLauzon, Jérémy
$4,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RDLD/RD
UFARFA
Borowiecki, Mark
$900,000
LD
UFA - 1

Cap info:

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HIT
OVERAGES
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$80,879,476$0$212,500$1,620,524
Would rather a d-man like Manson or Chiarot than Zadorov at that price, particularly someone that can play the right side and shift Fabbro or Carrier back a pair (at least some of the time).

Nikushkin would be fine, but he just also had the typical career year in a contract year, so not super thrilled to overpay.

Reactions: Jonesey

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Would rather a d-man like Manson or Chiarot than Zadorov at that price, particularly someone that can play the right side and shift Fabbro or Carrier back a pair (at least some of the time).

Nikushkin would be fine, but he just also had the typical career year in a contract year, so not super thrilled to overpay.
In regards to the last point, overpaying is pretty much all free agency has become now.

Reactions: bdub24

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In regards to the last point, overpaying is pretty much all free agency has become now.
Yes, but there's normal UFA overpaying and this guy just doubled his career best and wants to get paid like it and will never achieve that production again overpaying. Nicushkin is a $2-$2.5M (e.g. Sissons) player based on career production if you take away this year. A bump on that for being a UFA and proving he can produce more, sure, but $5M is steep.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Joey, Sissons, Glass, McCarron are the centers I would Like to see in camp. Granny's most productive on the wing.
Trenin Joey Dutch
Forsberg Siss Jeannot
Granny Glass Tomasino
Tolvanen Big Sexy Kunin/Rookie

Josi FA (Young Larsson type) Myers if he lives up to the pedigree
EK Fabbro
Lauzon Carrier
Boro and Cousins/rookie in the owners box
Ingrham Playing 21 games

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes, but there's normal UFA overpaying and this guy just doubled his career best and wants to get paid like it and will never achieve that production again overpaying. Nicushkin is a $2-$2.5M (e.g. Sissons) player based on career production if you take away this year. A bump on that for being a UFA and proving he can produce more, sure, but $5M is steep.
I think you're overlooking the fact that this was pretty much the 1st year Nichuskin was used in a top-six role. His TOI jumped from 13-14 minutes all the way to 19 minutes in a demanding Colorado system.

On top of that, he's been one of leagues best defensive wingers for a couple of years now. I don't think paying him $5 mil a year is an overpayment at all, since that's going to be a 3rd line number when the cap starts to go up again.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think you're overlooking the fact that this was pretty much the 1st year Nichuskin was used in a top-six role. His TOI jumped from 13-14 minutes all the way to 19 minutes in a demanding Colorado system.

On top of that, he's been one of leagues best defensive wingers for a couple of years now. I don't think paying him $5 mil a year is an overpayment at all, since that's going to be a 3rd line number when the cap starts to go up again.
I'm not sure I buy those stats as being sustainable if he needs 19 minutes a night and factoring in he's playing in one of the highest scoring teams in the league. We only had two forwards playing those minutes in Granlund and Duchene. He comes here he's probably right around Sissons/Jeannot at 16 a night and I'd be surprised to see him produce much more than Jeannot has.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm not sure I buy those stats as being sustainable if he needs 19 minutes a night and factoring in he's playing in one of the highest scoring teams in the league. We only had two forwards playing those minutes in Granlund and Duchene. He comes here he's probably right around Sissons/Jeannot at 16 a night and I'd be surprised to see him produce much more than Jeannot has.
Well, he did play the 3rd most PK among Colorado's forwards. That production was almost all even strength production.

Producing as much as Jeannot did AND providing a borderline elite defensive presence on the wing? To me, all that for $5 mil sounds pretty good.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

Don’t overlook the fact that he plays beside McKinnon and Rantanen. There’s no one of that caliber on the Preds to draw attention away from him. He’s have more defensive pressure against him if he was on the top line of the Preds. I’m not saying he would be a bad pickup, I just don’t think he’s be able to produce at the same level on the Preds.

Reactions: Byrddog

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You signed Jarnkrok? For heaven's sake why??!?!

We have so much cap space this off-season... even with it set to evaporate the season after it will be very tempting to try to fill that top-6 winger void and then just worry about the future cap headaches that will cause later.

Chasing somebody like Palat, Niedereitter, or Trocheck would be my top priority. If I signed another D, I think it would be a shorter-term veteran leader type.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Don’t overlook the fact that he plays beside McKinnon and Rantanen. There’s no one of that caliber on the Preds to draw attention away from him. He’s have more defensive pressure against him if he was on the top line of the Preds. I’m not saying he would be a bad pickup, I just don’t think he’s be able to produce at the same level on the Preds.
His most common linemates this year were Kadri and Burakovsky. He was 4th in ice-time among forwards, behind the Big 3.

Yeah, in no way am I expecting a similar production from him in Nashville. There's no one we can acquire that can be able to keep up the same production (Marchment, Niederraiter, Copp). Nichuskin is a bit younger than the latter two, and his defensive impact is strong.

Those facts combined with an ability to produce in a top-six role make him a very enticing target, even at $5 mil.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
His most common linemates this year were Kadri and Burakovsky. He was 4th in ice-time among forwards, behind the Big 3.

Yeah, in no way am I expecting a similar production from him in Nashville. There's no one we can acquire that can be able to keep up the same production (Marchment, Niederraiter, Copp). Nichuskin is a bit younger than the latter two, and his defensive impact is strong.

Those facts combined with an ability to produce in a top-six role make him a very enticing target, even at $5 mil.
There would be no complaints from me if they picked him up. He’s got to better than Kunin on the second line lol.

Speaking of players from Colorado,, Kadri’s going to be an UFA, what would a Trenin - Kadri - Jeannot line look like?

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Forsberg: 8 x $9.009M
Trenin: 2 x $2.3M (basically the bridge deal that Kunin got)
Kunin: 1 x $2.3M QO (accept your QO sir if you want another chance)
Glass: 1 x $0.874125M QO
Let go: Cousins, Benning, Rittich, Grimaldi

2022-23
Forsberg (UFA - $9.009M) - Granlund ($5M) - Duchene ($8M)
XXXXXXXXX - Johansen ($8M) - Tomasino ($0.863M)
Trenin (RFA - $2.3M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Jeannot ($0.800M)
Tolvanen ($1.45M) - McCarron ($0.750M) - Kunin (RFA - $2.3M)
Glass (RFA - $0.874125M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro ($2.4M)
Ekholm ($6.25M) - Carrier ($0.733M)
Borowiecki ($0.900M) - Lauzon (RFA - $1.5M)
Davies (UFA - $0.775M) - XXXXXXXXX

Saros ($5M)
Ingram ($0.733M)

Buyouts: Turris ($2M), Myers ($-0.617M)

Total: $70.935M
(Cap $82.5M)

So up to $10M to spend (ignoring the implications to the 2023 payroll)....

UFA F: Palat, Niederreiter, probably have to go something like 4 x $6M or 5 x $5M?
(David Perrron, Reilly Smith, Vincent Trocheck, Rickard Rakell, Andre Burakovsky, Max Domi, Andrew Copp, Ryan Strome, Bryan Rust, Valeri Nichushkin... there are no shortage of candidates in this category!)

UFA D: I have some faith in the youngsters, so only offering 1 yr, up to $3 or $4M if the player is prominent enough. Somebody like Ian Cole, say... experienced, versatile, (Ilya Lyubushkin, Jan Rutta, Mark Giordano, Josh Manson, Nikita Zadorov, Ben Chiarot).... not many likely to take just 1 yr, though, so pickings will be a lot slimmer.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looking at our UFAs. Outside of Forsberg (and possibly Jeremy Davies), I don't have much interest in re-signing any of them.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
So up to $10M to spend (ignoring the implications to the 2023 payroll)....

UFA F: Palat, Niederreiter, probably have to go something like 4 x $6M or 5 x $5M?
(David Perrron, Reilly Smith, Vincent Trocheck, Rickard Rakell, Andre Burakovsky, Max Domi, Andrew Copp, Ryan Strome, Bryan Rust, Valeri Nichushkin... there are no shortage of candidates in this category!)

UFA D: I have some faith in the youngsters, so only offering 1 yr, up to $3 or $4M if the player is prominent enough. Somebody like Ian Cole, say... experienced, versatile, (Ilya Lyubushkin, Jan Rutta, Mark Giordano, Josh Manson, Nikita Zadorov, Ben Chiarot).... not many likely to take just 1 yr, though, so pickings will be a lot slimmer.

Just throwing this out there. What is the better scenario for the Preds in terms of risk mitigation? Signing FF9 for $9 and having $10 to improve the remaining roster? Or letting him walk and having $19m available? Just using your numbers above for the sake of discussion:

FF9 $9 + UFA F $6M + UFA F/D $3M = $18M

vs.

UFA F $6M + UFA F $6M + UFA F $6M = $18M

I know the risk here is actually finding 3 people who will sign again just for discussion on what might be better for overall roster construction.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just throwing this out there. What is the better scenario for the Preds in terms of risk mitigation? Signing FF9 for $9 and having $10 to improve the remaining roster? Or letting him walk and having $19m available? Just using your numbers above for the sake of discussion:

vs.

I know the risk here is actually finding 3 people who will sign again just for discussion on what might be better for overall roster construction.
I would rather keep Forsberg than take any 2 players off my list of forwards, even if they came at the same combined price as Forsberg! It's going to be a bit of a gamble with any of them whether they can produce here. Forsberg we KNOW can produce here.

Any of those guys we sign for $5-6M could end up being a 15-goal/40-pt kind of player here. I could see that for basically everybody I listed. I think we have to take the chance anyway. Forsberg is worth the extra premium because he's a known quantity at a totally different level.

If we had to replace Forsberg, about the only other player out there in that category is Johnny Gaudreau, If we lose Forsberg, then that's who we have to chase first. Or see if we can lure any older guy like Malkin or Bergeron on shorter terms. I don't think replacing Forsberg "by committee" would be good for our team's chances.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

vs.

Forsberg all the way for me

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
I would rather keep Forsberg than take any 2 players off my list of forwards, even if they came at the same combined price as Forsberg! It's going to be a bit of a gamble with any of them whether they can produce here. Forsberg we KNOW can produce here.

Any of those guys we sign for $5-6M could end up being a 15-goal/40-pt kind of player here. I could see that for basically everybody I listed. I think we have to take the chance anyway. Forsberg is worth the extra premium because he's a known quantity at a totally different level.

If we had to replace Forsberg, about the only other player out there in that category is Johnny Gaudreau, If we lose Forsberg, then that's who we have to chase first. Or see if we can lure any older guy like Malkin or Bergeron on shorter terms. I don't think replacing Forsberg "by committee" would be good for our team's chances.
You mentioned Johnny Hockey, all things equal would you choose him over Forsberg? Gaudreau lack of size could be a factor. I think Forsberg has another level in him if he wants it, he has size and skill just needs a little more conditioning and tenacity. Put Arvy Hustle's heart in FF body and there is your elite forward.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You mentioned Johnny Hockey, all things equal would you choose him over Forsberg? Gaudreau lack of size could be a factor. I think Forsberg has another level in him if he wants it, he has size and skill just needs a little more conditioning and tenacity. Put Arvy Hustle's heart in FF body and there is your elite forward.
I just assume Gaudreau here is more like his previous two seasons of < 1 ppg than he would be like this season where he exploded for 115. So no, in the end I'd still rather have the devil I know in Forsberg.

But if Forsberg earned a $9M payday with his 40-goal season, then Gaudreau probably snagged himself $10M+ with his 115 pts. If we couldn't get Forsberg to stay, I'd still go ahead and offer that $10M deal to Gaudreau. But not really expect to get him. New Jersey can afford to chase him, I doubt we'd win the Gaudreau sweepstakes even with a $10M offer! But we'd have to try!

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
How cool would it be if we could trade Duchene, re-sign Forsberg, and sign UFA Johnny Hockey. There will never be a better time to get out from under Duchene's deal.

Yeah, this is some video game shit, but one can fantasize.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Uh, do we want to get out from under Duchene's deal anymore? :huh:

Not necessarily. This would be a sell high scenario contingent on being able to sign Gaudreau. I'd rather have Gaudreau. He is younger and better, but I was just spit-balling fantasy stuff. I realize that is a pipe dream.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I still don’t think any team would willingly take on Duchene’s contract without it costing us assets. He needs more than one great season to erase his poor form from the previous few seasons.

• Wow
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad