Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Probably not. Will probably just be a bunch of guys who either are connected with Toronto or the Soo.
Even just the potential tug of war between Sullivan and Dubas over the assistant(s) will be interesting. Is Sullivan able to get a close friend like Quinn on board? Does Dubas shoehorn Keefe or a Toronto/Soo connection in?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think people on here are way too hard on Keefe as a coach. He was a terrific AHL coach, to the point where you'd absolutely never be able to get him to agree to be WBS' coach, and most of his failures in the NHL revolve around the Leafs core of losers. He's also still pretty young for coaching standards, he's only 43 and became a NHL head coach at 39.

Firing Sullivan and replacing him with Keefe would not be a downgrade IMO.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I think people on here are way too hard on Keefe as a coach. He was a terrific AHL coach, to the point where you'd absolutely never be able to get him to agree to be WBS' coach, and most of his failures in the NHL revolve around the Leafs core of losers. He's also still pretty young for coaching standards, he's only 43 and became a NHL head coach at 39.

Having a picture of a poo emoji behind the bench would not be a downgrade on sully

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even just the potential tug of war between Sullivan and Dubas over the assistant(s) will be interesting. Is Sullivan able to get a close friend like Quinn on board? Does Dubas shoehorn Keefe or a Toronto/Soo connection in?

Watching Kyle Dubas unable to force his will on a lame duck coach who is entering his 7th year of failure is not what I would call "interesting".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

It’s also very true that coaches tend to get better in their second or third stop. Sullivan is an example of this, as is Gallant, Cassidy, Berube, DeBoer, Hynes. Maurice is twice the coach he was at 43. And it’s not like Keefe’s been bad in Toronto by any means.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Watching the games I didn't see how Keefe is to blame at all. The top players didn't show up except for Nylander.
This is the thing. Keefe seems to be the scapegoat for their big guys having the heart of the Tin Man.

The team itself generally plays well structured and doesn't get outplayed often. But the big boys who earn the big money are typically no shows in important games.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Marner will probably be the guy that gets shipped but Tavares and his 11M for old-man-Geno production SHOULD be the guy that gets tossed in an attempt to "fix" the team. Not that I care. I hope they don't win another Cup for another 100 years or whatever it is.

Killer team they built, there. Who did that, again?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marner will probably be the guy that gets shipped but Tavares and his 11M for old-man-Geno production SHOULD be the guy that gets tossed in an attempt to "fix" the team. Not that I care. I hope they don't win another Cup for another 100 years or whatever it is.

Killer team they built, there. Who did that, again?

Lou Lamoriello.

Well, more so Shanahan because it seems like he's been the true guy running the ship for the last decade+.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lou Lamoriello.

Well, more so Shanahan because it seems like he's been the true guy running the ship for the last decade+.

Haha fair enough.

You'll have to forgive me. Until Kyle Dubas remembers that he was hired as POHO for a kingly sum (and then hired himself as GM) and doesn't need to grovel in front of Mike Sullivan for every little thing I'm going to be eyeballing him with more than a little suspicion. We all get on the coaching staff and rightfully so but in the end he's the guy that let this last season just... slide on by.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $145.00