Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So, barring unforeseen circumstances, Sullivan is staying as head coach for another year.

But, there may be changes to his staff. Assuming that Reirden, at least, will not have his contract renewed, here are a few potential assistants that I would target. Some of these are contingent upon the coaches being available, as well as whether they'd be interested in an assistant coach gig. But it's worth noting them and targeting them for a conversation.
  • Marco Sturm, Ontario Reign (AHL) head coach - I thought he'd get promoted after the Kings fired McClellan, but they went with Jim Hiller instead. Sturm was head coach of German national team that won a surprising silver medal at 2018 Winter Olympics. He's highly regarded and might be a head coach candidate for a few positions. If he doesn't land one, the Pens should bring him on board.
  • Steve Ott, St. Louis (NHL) assistant coach - Blues struggled offensively the past couple of years, and a new coach will likely have a new staff. But Ott ran the Blues' power play for years and they were routinely strong.
  • Shawn Allard, former Colorado (NHL) skills development coach - Potential replacement for Ty Hennes, Allard stepped down last year to take care of some personal things but left open the door to returning to pro hockey. The Pens could use a new voice to help players continue to develop their skills at the NHL level, and Allard earned high marks for his work with the Avs young players
  • Sheldon Keefe, Toronto (NHL) head coach - Let's be honest: If Toronto fires Keefe, he'll be a heavy favorite to join the Penguins in some capacity.
  • Tim Gleason, Carolina (NHL) assistant coach - Carolina is notoriously stingy with coaching contracts. Brind'amour is on an expiring contract and apparently one of the sticking points is the support staff, including assistant coaches. If negotiations go sideways, Gleason is a young coach on the rise with a background in player development.
Not an exhaustive list, but outside of Ott, none of them are "retreads." I think that's critical. The Pens need fresh ideas, regardless of whether it's head coach, assistant coach, or skills development.

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
Imagine missing the playoffs two straight seasons after multiple seasons of losing in the first round and there's still no talk of changing the coach.

I'm still laughing at all those Boston fans who came into our forum when FSG first bought the Pens to "warn us" about how cutthroat they are and how they'll fire someone/trade someone immediately if the results aren't there.

sure-jan-brady-bunch.gif
I feel like if we made the playoffs and got swept in first round well then at least we made it. But this guy has failed 2 season in a row and also had the loss against Montreal in the qualifying round. It's beyond embarrassing. I really don't know what they expect from Sully anymore...

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like if we made the playoffs and got swept in first round well then at least we made it. But this guy has failed 2 season in a row and also had the loss against Montreal in the qualifying round. It's beyond embarrassing. I really don't know what they expect from Sully anymore...

I know what I expect from Sully!

• Haha
Reactions: Hazed Yoshi

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
My biggest issue with #SullyHockey is that we have to work so hard just to barely win. If we were getting the same results but getting loads of rush chances and scoring on our powerplays I’d be fine to ride off into the sunset. Pretending that this is winning hockey because the scores aren’t big for 6 years is so dumb. We have several of the best rush executors maybe ever and we play dumb protect the house jam up the board hockey like we’re cement heads.

Meanwhile our best D aren’t even coached well enough to stay in front of our net or do a head check for a late guy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My biggest issue with #SullyHockey is that we have to work so hard just to barely win. If we were getting the same results but getting loads of rush chances and scoring on our powerplays I’d be fine to ride off into the sunset. Pretending that this is winning hockey because the scores aren’t big for 6 years is so dumb. We have several of the best rush executors maybe ever and we play dumb protect the house jam up the board hockey like we’re cement heads.

Meanwhile our best D aren’t even coached well enough to stay in front of our net or do a head check for a late guy.

My issue with #SullyHockey is that it has lead to...

# 1. No playoff series wins in six seasons.
# 2. No team success in six seasons outside of a fluke COVID season. We've finished 3rd or worse in our divison.
# 3. No development of young players.

It's weird. We hear how great Sullivan is, but he's done literally nothing of value for six years besides coast on Sid and Jake.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Has management said anything on this issue since we officially failed to make it in?
Yes, Dubas said he and Sullivan would sit down and discuss the coaching staff, clearly indicating Sullivan is going nowhere lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Reirden and Vellucci had their contracts expire. The Pens will have to make an announcement one way or another about their status. Either they decline to renew them or they sign them to new deals.

I would hope if they decline to renew the contracts that we will get an announcement by the end of the week. The longer it goes on, the more concerned I will be that they'll be back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Reirden and Vellucci had their contracts expire. The Pens will have to make an announcement one way or another about their status. Either they decline to renew them or they sign them to new deals.

I would hope if they decline to renew the contracts that we will get an announcement by the end of the week. The longer it goes on, the more concerned I will be that they'll be back.
I just can not see this organization being THAT irresponsible as to resign them.

I'm not sure what the level of negligence that it would be, but it would be significant. Like, if I'm FSG, I hire a Sr. VP of Hockey Ops to now oversee Dubas and the organization.

I just can't fathom a situation where any of the ACs are brought back.

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The Hockey News coming thru.

1713890330838.png

Both Reirden and Vellucci had their contracts expire after the 2021-22 season, and were re-signed to 2 year contracts. For some reason everyone was calling it an extension, when it really wasn't.

Both of their contracts are now up, so they don't need to be let go.

The "extension" part was confusing because Sullivan also signed an extension at the same time, but his was an actual extension that doesn't kick in until next season. 3 more years to go.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'm still disgusted that they haven't announced Rierden is fired yet/not being retained yet.

He should have been told to piss off the second the buzzer went off for their last game of the season.
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything so far.

That said, the only comparison is Rutherford firing everyone but Sullivan after the Montreal bubble series in 2020, and Rutherford is more impulsive while Dubas is more calculated.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything so far.

That said, the only comparison is Rutherford firing everyone but Sullivan after the Montreal bubble series in 2020, and Rutherford is more impulsive while Dubas is more calculated.

WHEN they don't let these guys go will you finally believe that this team is unserious, incompetent and borderline negligent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad