GDT: Offseason 2023 Thread - Now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone have ANY idea how far Trotz pushes? Like, is it just trimming off some fat & gristle, or are the Preds headed toward full rebuild? Because, if there's ANY chance of Forsberg coming available, that 100% needs to be our big get, imo.

No idea. The state of the roster right now is brutal. Their CapFriendly page is kinda crazy. I can’t imagine how they could possibly get a “retool” out of these moves. Feels like it needs to be a rebuild. But would Trotz trade a Josi, McDonough, or Forsberg?

Reactions: SvechneJerk

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Thank you Hurricanes fans for not flaming me about posting off topic. I just felt it was important to post

Um . . . have you read any of our threads, lol?

Does anyone have ANY idea how far Trotz pushes? Like, is it just trimming off some fat & gristle, or are the Preds headed toward full rebuild? Because, if there's ANY chance of Forsberg coming available, that 100% needs to be our big get, imo.

Pretty sure I read that Trotz said that Saros, Forsberg, and Josi weren't going anywhere. Not attributed to Trotz, but I also heard that Askarov could possibly be moved (not unreasonable if they're making a long term commitment to Saros).

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I wonder if Nashville plans to be active in the UFA market, at least when it comes to adding new locker room voices. I would not be shocked if they were heavily in on O'Reilly, Killorn, and Bertuzzi. Even though ROR isn't the same as he once was, he would be a hugely influential veteran for young and upcoming players.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
McLeod being non-tendered surprises me, though if the Devils really want Hellebuyck or Gibson as their long-term tendy, they're going to need a dirt-cheap 4th line. He played really well against us in the 2nd round, and if the Canes trade Drury in a package for a scorer or Pesce replacement, I wonder if the Canes should look at signing him. Really, any of McLeod, Geekie, or Acciari would be interesting 4C options in the event of a Drury trade.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
JFresh likes Duchene but really negative in wheeler:

1688165480238.png

1688165605006.png

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Christian Fischer is being bought out in Arizona. Big forward that can go to the dirty areas. Yes please

He is not being bought out, which by definition means terminating the player's existing SPC with year(s) left and still having to pay the player some and keep some cap hit. He has an expiring contract and isn't being offered a new one.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
JFresh likes Duchene but really negative in wheeler:

View attachment 724402

Again, if Duchene is willing to take a 1 year, restore my reputation-type of contract over here, it is IMO a no-brainer. You can stick him anywhere in the top-6 depending on whether KK can take the next step in his development or not. If KK can be that 2C, you can stick Duchene next to Aho and pile up the points. If KK can't be that 2C, you can stick Duchene there, move Turbo up, and run Marty-Staal-Fast again.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
He is not being bought out, which by definition means terminating the player's existing SPC with year(s) left and still having to pay the player some and keep some cap hit. He has an expiring contract and isn't being offered a new one.

And Friedman tweeted (or retweeted) that he thinks the Yotes want to re-sign him, but "didn't like the qualifying number."

Reactions: Lempo and zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Again, if Duchene is willing to take a 1 year, restore my reputation-type of contract over here, it is IMO a no-brainer. You can stick him anywhere in the top-6 depending on whether KK can take the next step in his development or not. If KK can be that 2C, you can stick Duchene next to Aho and pile up the points. If KK can't be that 2C, you can stick Duchene there, move Turbo up, and run Marty-Staal-Fast again.
Actually reports have been coming out that because of the flat cap this year, many UFAs are electing to take 1 year deals in order to cash in next year

Could absolutely work to our advantage

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks...yeah meant will be a UFA

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempo

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As Avs fans told us a few years ago, Duchene loves fishing and country music, so he’ll gladly sign a team friendly deal in Carolina.
Fishing and country music are not the first things I think of when thinking of Raleigh. Especially since it's Tri-State area south. Maybe fishing but I feel like the freshwater fishing around Raleigh is mediocre if not weak.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
i think we need scoring wingers way more than we need another center…

id much rather us try to get a Killorn, incentive laden Patches, incentive laden Kane, etc etc etc etc etc than to focus on 2C…

Staal *will* play 2c level minutes until the pressure on Brindy is too much to ignore and he reduces his minutes. kK has shown he can get scoring out of his line while still being reasonably defensively responsiible assuming the wingers on his line don’t regress to being obnoxious turnover machines like they have been in the past…

we need high end overall talent and finishing ability in our top 6 wingers or higher talent and bigger bodies so we don’t get crushed and abused if we try to roll out a tiny top line of Aho Jarvis and TT. Putting Aho on a line with Noesen is the problem not KK getting 2c minutes.

I would prefer an offer sheet to Bouchard and sheltering him on the 3rd pair for the next couple years to adapt to our system versus a TDA return in terms of the long term possibilities of Bouchard…. and I think TDA was fine here and have no issue with him on the team. I just think Bouchard could spent the next decade here as a more prototypical bigger body dman…. No way Edmonton just let’s Bouchard go though without a fight after they moved Barrie to make room for Bouchard to be the guy on their power play….

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Speaking of Bear, guess who didn't get a QO today and will become a UFA tomorrow?

Time to get the band back together!

Just read in the Athletic that "Bear did a solid job of rebuilding his value last season following a trade to the Canucks."

Nucks were going to re-sign him but he had surgery for a shoulder injury he got at the Worlds and will be out until mid December; that was a health risk they were unwilling to take. Glad his career was looking up, sorry to hear about the injury.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Ian Cole getting a 2-3x$3M AAV from Vancouver?! See, this is why I didn't like the OEL buyout for Vancouver and their fans, because my god, some teams never learn. Just by waiting out the contract for a few more seasons and by rebuilding/retooling through the draft and trades, and their cap book could've been cleared right when they could start their run again. Instead, it's just more absurd tire spinning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad