*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't necessarily think we're done. The two games on Sat/Mon will be the telling tale. If we can sweep them, you never know.

This team is done they have 4 left against Plymouth and haven't shown a pulse against them all year. They still have a game left with Owen Sound, Sarnia who continues to score goals in bunches without Galchenyuk, and 2 with London. By my count they will need 20-21 points out of a possible 28 to make the playoffs. This is under the assumption Saginaw cools down and only plays .500 hockey.

jughead42*

The forwards backchecking has been absolutely horrendous I don't think anybody here would tell you otherwise. I agree coaches haven't held players accountable and that contributed to things getting out of hand.

Defense has been an issue for the past couple of years now so that is a big concern moving forward. In regards to goaltending I hope the talk of Pavelka as an OA is put to rest. Windsor will have possibly 2 top 20 import picks or in that area and they need to get 2 top forwards asap. Nobody will say injuries haven't played a role hurting depth but even when Khokhlachev and Aleardi were going the 2nd line of Vail-Johnson-Ho-Sang hasn't been that productive. You have 2 18 year olds and a top 5 pick on your 2nd line and there isn't any chemistry and productivity.

Have you even bothered to look at the lineup each night? Has it occurred to you that maybe this lack of backchecking and production has something to do with the fact they are playing short a line every night and might be a bit gassed? They are teenagers man, you're something else. Any excuse to rip on the team. **** you, done with this board. So tired of your ceaseless negative ****.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This team is done

Put your money where your mouth is?

This team has been decimated by injuries and suspensions. It's not THE reason for where we are, but it's a big part. Put in Sieloff, Koekkoek, Bilcke, Aleardi, etc today...we don't lose 3-1. Even with the first three, we don't lose in Ottawa.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Have you even bothered to look at the lineup each night? Has it occurred to you that maybe this lack of backchecking and production has something to do with the fact they are playing short a line every night and might be a bit gassed? They are teenagers man, you're something else. Any excuse to rip on the team. **** you, done with this board. So tired of your ceaseless negative ****.

The lack of backchecking isn't something over the past 4 weeks it hasn't existed the past two years. You can call me names and stuff it doesn't change this team not making the playoffs or being the biggest disappointment in the past 20 years for this team. Like I said if you have an issue put me on ignore.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Put your money where your mouth is?

This team has been decimated by injuries and suspensions. It's not THE reason for where we are, but it's a big part. Put in Sieloff, Koekkoek, Bilcke, Aleardi, etc today...we don't lose 3-1. Even with the first three, we don't lose in Ottawa.

Coming from the same person that hasn't paid up? Ottawa is the worst team in the OHL and Kingston hadn't won a game in over a month. What is the bet? I should even give you a couple points for wiggle room.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Coming from the same person that hasn't paid up? Ottawa is the worst team in the OHL and Kingston hadn't won a game in over a month. What is the bet? I should even give you a couple points for wiggle room.

Haven't paid up? You know where to find me every Spits home game. The ONE TIME you actually came to find me somewhere, I was at work, when I couldn't do anything about it :) I've said from day one, come to a game and I'll pay up. But, it's up to you.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
All we have to do if we don't host is hope London or any West team gets it, because even if we get in the finals and lose we still get to go in. If not, then we need to get in the finals and win.

You want an East Team to get the tournament then.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Saginaw trades away their consensus best player and goes on a helluva run. I think more and more it's the coaching here. They can't see any fault in themselves, always seem to have self-serving quotes like "If the players worked as hard as the coaching staff..." or "When the coaches want to win more than the players, it's a problem..."

Our coaching staff is the majority owner, his BFF from his playing days and his brother-in-law. We're not exactly casting a wide net there. Boughner buys the team to leapfrog coming up the ranks in coaching circles and parlays it quickly to a pro gig where he lasts only one year and bails back to the junior team he owns.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Saginaw trades away their consensus best player and goes on a helluva run. I think more and more it's the coaching here. They can't see any fault in themselves, always seem to have self-serving quotes like "If the players worked as hard as the coaching staff..." or "When the coaches want to win more than the players, it's a problem..."

Our coaching staff is the majority owner, his BFF from his playing days and his brother-in-law. We're not exactly casting a wide net there. Boughner buys the team to leapfrog coming up the ranks in coaching circles and parlays it quickly to a pro gig where he lasts only one year and bails back to the junior team he owns.

They did the same thing last year too.

Our coaching staff is in definite need of a refresh. Both Matsos and Jones need to go with fresh blood coming in to work along side Boughner.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Legend Bowen just got a game misconduct for a staged fight, that would be another suspension wouldn't it? Has Boughner lost control of this team?

Yes Bowen will draw a 2 game suspension for his staged fight

You would the player would know the rules as well as the situation the team is in

short rostered and all

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
It's clear more now then ever that DJ Smith was the brains behind the operation as far as the coaching goes.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

Our coaching staff is in definite need of a refresh. Both Matsos and Jones need to go with fresh blood coming in to work along side Boughner.

I don't think Boughner has it in him to fire his buddy Jones and his B-I-L Matsos. And I don't think either are going to get hired away any time soon either. And the Boughner star has faded as an up-and-comer NHL coaching prospect.

This team doesn't deserve to host the Memorial Cup, I just hope London doesn't get it either :cf:

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
You want an East Team to get the tournament then.

Well, what I am saying is if there was a team to get it if Windsor doesn't I would rather have it be an East team.

In the Windsor Star it said news was that Windsor, London, Guelph and Barrie would contend for it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think the coaching staff, and scouting needs a reboot. I think Boughner is ok but he hasn't done his best job and he's not going anywhere. The tough part is there is no top 5 pick coming this year. They do have a 2nd rounder but doubtful he makes any type of impact in his first year. Best hope is the 2 import picks pans out. Too many questions right now and not many answers.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Well, what I am saying is if there was a team to get it if Windsor doesn't I would rather have it be an East team.

In the Windsor Star it said news was that Windsor, London, Guelph and Barrie would contend for it.

That's not what you said lol. And besides, the only way you get to the Memorial cup through the back door is if you are playing the host in the finals.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I was reading today that import picks might not be allowed to be traded, and drafted players will not be able to be traded for a stretch either. So we might not even be able to trade up in the import draft this year either - unless the proposed changes are not in place into next year.

Hawks3

Aug 27, 2011
One of the goalies really need to step up. Dekort played his best game in Guelph last week but we need better if we are going to to make the playoffs. Pavelka I don't know where he went? I was so impressed with him a month ago I thought he could carry us far, looks like he has lost interest, the coaches need to get him back! I still have faith in this team. GO SPITS GO

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
It's the "Kovar" effect all over again. Pavelka probably has a contract to play pro in Europe and is waiting for the season to end. You can tell he has just lost interest in playing for us.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
It's the "Kovar" effect all over again. Pavelka probably has a contract to play pro in Europe and is waiting for the season to end. You can tell he has just lost interest in playing for us.

Not only does it look like he's lost interest in playing for us....It appears we've lost interest in him playing for us. Hindsight is 20/20 but it sure looks as if either he's playing injured or is *issed he wasn't traded at the deadline. Once his season is over I hope they bring Dalen Kuchmey @kooch30 in for a few games.

Windsor Chief

Jan 3, 2011
Windsor
I'm thinking that you guys who focus on the success of this season as a barometer for next season's ability to ice a great team and host a memorial cup are overlooking some key facts.
Senior year players tend to have the greatest impacts on highend teams, particularly those higher end guys, after all no one is left (other than OAs) who is bigger, stronger, or older.
Windsor has iced a squad basically devoid of 93s (this years seniors) in favour of giving our 94s a greater opportunity for icetime to help them to develop. As seniors next year, our 94s should as a group stack up well against the rest of the league. There may be some superstar 94s on other teams but our group does look good (against other 94s). We have paid the price this year seeing the 93s and OA 92s outplaying us. How much better we looked after Koko (93) and Aleardi (92) arrived! Combining that with a willingness to trade to acquire needed players and having a few assets available to actually make those trades should put Windsor into the thick of things for hosting the Memorial Cup.
Yeah we should probably have hosted the one that Mississauga got, but ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad