OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Fighting is unreal. Love it. I jumped Glencross with Gagner last night and speed bagged him. Glencross had a late hit on Yak

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I think after two years lost in the wilderness, they might have made some sense of faceoff mechanics. It was the worst part of the game, IMO.

Most of the other things are quite similar. I do think scoring is a little easier. Not as much easier as more realistic. There are more ways to score that work. Throughout the franchise, there have been cheap goals that are more or less guaranteed. When they fix these glitch goals, a lot of the time they make them next to impossible, to compensate. One timers nearly disappeared from the game. But really, if you've set up a play and executed it nicely, it should have a chance. I get a sense after playing a handful of games last night that they have improved that. I scored a bunch of different ways, and so far haven't had to resort to trying to figure out the glitch goal of the season.

I started a Be A GM season at the draft. The potential ratings are MUCH lower for all players. Picking 7th, the last two top 10 rated players were 3 stars. Recently drafted rookies start with a much lower overall rating as well. In the last couple of years, if your rookie didn't rate in the 60's overall, it was likely a bust. My 7th overall started out as 48. I'm interested to see how the development algorithm works.

Also Cory Potter was an 82 (?) and I traded him for a 1st and 3rd pick! What?

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I think after two years lost in the wilderness, they might have made some sense of faceoff mechanics. It was the worst part of the game, IMO.

Most of the other things are quite similar. I do think scoring is a little easier. Not as much easier as more realistic. There are more ways to score that work. Throughout the franchise, there have been cheap goals that are more or less guaranteed. When they fix these glitch goals, a lot of the time they make them next to impossible, to compensate. One timers nearly disappeared from the game. But really, if you've set up a play and executed it nicely, it should have a chance. I get a sense after playing a handful of games last night that they have improved that. I scored a bunch of different ways, and so far haven't had to resort to trying to figure out the glitch goal of the season.

I started a Be A GM season at the draft. The potential ratings are MUCH lower for all players. Picking 7th, the last two top 10 rated players were 3 stars. Recently drafted rookies start with a much lower overall rating as well. In the last couple of years, if your rookie didn't rate in the 60's overall, it was likely a bust. My 7th overall started out as 48. I'm interested to see how the development algorithm works.

Yea I was really confused by Potter as well.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

On the draft, it depends on if you scouted the prospects or not. I did scouting all year and I got the 26th pick. I ended up getting Deangelo a 55 overall with a 4.5 star red rating. He ended up getting to 85-86 in the 3rd season. I've even lucked out on the 7th round with 3.5-4 star potential players.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
On the draft, it depends on if you scouted the prospects or not. I did scouting all year and I got the 26th pick. I ended up getting Deangelo a 55 overall with a 4.5 star red rating. He ended up getting to 85-86 in the 3rd season. I've even lucked out on the 7th round with 3.5-4 star potential players.

I always did lots of scouting before. If you have high potential, you can get a player into a useable range.
Even if you start a GM season with the draft, it will show you some potential.

This time, beyond my 7th overall pick, the highest potential was a two. And there were many zeros in the first round selections. I just found it odd that a top 10 pick would have a 48 overall rating with three star potential. In last years game, he would probably top out at a mid 60's rating and not be worthy of an entry level contract anyway.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Is it a given that every EB Games is going to have a midnight release for GTA?

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
Skipping nhl for 2nd year in a row, went from nhl 09 to nhl 10 to nhl 12, to nothing. I just find theres not enough change to justify buying it every year, and once a new version comes out, online is dead.

Also, its not coming out on PS4, so theres that. In addition to lack of time, being occupied with more "productive" stuff (self teaching piano and violin, programming, and lots and lots of anime anyone?)

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Just got nhl14 and love the enforcer engine:)
Not sure on a few stats and or trades
Eg potter ovr82?!?!??? And managed to trade hemsky for 2 firsts and a third.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Just got nhl14 and love the enforcer engine:)
Not sure on a few stats and or trades
Eg potter ovr82?!?!??? And managed to trade hemsky for 2 firsts and a third.

It is kind of a pain in HUT, I lose 100-150 pucks per game because the other team keeps instigating a fight everytime I throw a hit.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
It is kind of a pain in HUT, I lose 100-150 pucks per game because the other team keeps instigating a fight everytime I throw a hit.

You could turn the fighting down or off

As appalling as it may sound but potter is a gm dream, 82ovr with a tiny cap hit lol.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
The fight initiating hits in NHL14 is easily the most frustrating and game ruining feature in EASHL. Especially when you can hit guys by just skating into them.

You're basically punished and forced to sit half a period because you threw a clean hit (sometimes not even on purpose).

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The fight initiating hits in NHL14 is easily the most frustrating and game ruining feature in EASHL. Especially when you can hit guys by just skating into them.

You're basically punished and forced to sit half a period because you threw a clean hit (sometimes not even on purpose).

So basically just like real hockey.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I am aiming to get one player from every team in HUT. So far I have clear the NHL, WHL, and NL and have 45 teams remaining from the other 6 leagues.

And I am up to 3 Oilers: Gordon, Grebeshkov, and Brown.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Tip of advice, increase your discipline up and you won't get called for many penalties. Worked for me as a two way forward.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Playing as an enforcer is fun this year also playing defense is way better. I think NHL 14 plays more like the actual NHL than any other NHL game in the past. If they could only fix the crashes and glitches, also the ai in the d-zone they would have a near perfect game.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
NHL 14 aside, the league of legends LCS starts up this Sunday. Is anyone else going to be watching?

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Tip of advice, increase your discipline up and you won't get called for many penalties. Worked for me as a two way forward.

That would probably help.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the improvements in NHL 14 and think EASHL is much better. I was just ticked off at the time of the post because I was stuck in the box for almost two full periods in a playoff game because I threw two, non-penalized hits which resulted in me having to fight both times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad