OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Isn’t it time for the Beloved Red Sox to dump that insanely overly cheesy weepy commercial with the old guy mewling away because “you’re going to game Pa!” (His grandson must be a cave dude)

Is that the Red Sox. I thought it was a ticket broker? But yeah, tickets arent hard to get these days

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It's Ace Ticket, and the commercials are HORRIBLE. Feels like they've been running them for years. The other version of the commercial is even worse, with a teenage girl on a couch screaming her head off over what I presume is Fifth Harmony tickets.

And, actually, for Red Sox, Ace can be kinda brutal in terms of price...I usually do the official resale marketplace when I'm sending my pa to the game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's Ace Ticket, and the commercials are HORRIBLE. Feels like they've been running them for years. The other version of the commercial is even worse, with a teenage girl on a couch screaming her head off over what I presume is Fifth Harmony tickets.

And, actually, for Red Sox, Ace can be kinda brutal in terms of price...I usually do the official resale marketplace when I'm sending my pa to the game.

At least run this during Bruins games - its bad but its better than the others

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

yesss

If I gave that kid tickets and she just screamed like that, I'd take them back and tear them up in front of her.

Reactions: talkinaway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dick Enberg, broadcast legend, dies at 82

Dick Enberg, the longtime sportscaster who got his big break with UCLA basketball and went on to call Super Bowls, Olympics, Final Fours and Angels and Padres baseball games, died Thursday. He was 82.

Enberg's daughter Nicole confirmed his death to the Associated Press. She said that the family became concerned when he didn't arrive on his flight to Boston on Thursday, and that he was found dead at his home in La Jolla, a San Diego neighborhood, with his bags packed.

"He was dressed with his bags packed at the door," his wife, Barbara, told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "We think it was a heart attack."

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Isn’t it time for the Beloved Red Sox to dump that insanely overly cheesy weepy commercial with the old guy mewling away because “you’re going to game Pa!” (His grandson must be a cave dude)
I cry when that commercial comes on and especially at that part

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I cry when that commercial comes on and especially at that part

I get that commercial maybe you would get emotional because the old fella got a nice XMas gift from his family, but what I don't understand why he starts crying though? Anyone can go to a Red Sox game. It's just overly cheesy to me. I guess what gets me is they way they play up the Fenway Park and the Red Sox are supposed to be so emotionally tied to New England. Bleah. And that screaming girl...Good lord.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I get that commercial maybe you would get emotional because the old fella got a nice XMas gift from his family, but what I don't understand why he starts crying though? Anyone can go to a Red Sox game. It's just overly cheesy to me. I guess what gets me is they way they play up the Fenway Park and the Red Sox are supposed to be so emotionally tied to New England. Bleah. And that screaming girl...Good lord.
I cry because it reminds me of how my dad would react when I got us tickets to go to a game. He didn't cry but he was incredibly happy.

I'd give up everything if it meant I could watch him unwrap a pair of tickets on Christmas morning just one more time.

Perhaps the guy has never been to Fenway and always wanted to go?

Fenway Park and the Red Sox ARE emotionally tied to New England and have been for a very, very long time.

There is nothing like going to a game at Fenway. The place is magical even if the Sox aren't doing well.

The screaming girl is annoying but I remember squealing when I got my first set of tickets to a game.

It may be cheesy but it resonates with a lot of people.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That commercial is f***ing garbage and should be shot into the sun, but my bet is the old guy is opening up World Series tickets there, hence the crying.

No issue with him, just with NESN showing it to me 5 billion times.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I cry because it reminds me of how my dad would react when I got us tickets to go to a game. He didn't cry but he was incredibly happy.

I'd give up everything if it meant I could watch him unwrap a pair of tickets on Christmas morning just one more time.

Perhaps the guy has never been to Fenway and always wanted to go?

Fenway Park and the Red Sox ARE emotionally tied to New England and have been for a very, very long time.

There is nothing like going to a game at Fenway. The place is magical even if the Sox aren't doing well.

The screaming girl is annoying but I remember squealing when I got my first set of tickets to a game.

It may be cheesy but it resonates with a lot of people.

If you tie it to your dad, then I could see the sentiment. I sincerely hope that you don't take my criticism of that ad to be directed toward you in any way.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If you tie it to your dad, then I could see the sentiment. I sincerely hope that you don't take my criticism of that ad to be directed toward you in any way.
I don't at all. I find the commercial to be annoying and then add in the other stuff, I either mute the tv and walk away or change the channel as fast as possible.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't at all. I find the commercial to be annoying and then add in the other stuff, I either mute the tv and walk away or change the channel as fast as possible.

Which is exactly what I do, it just happened to come on when I was in the other room and felt this overwhelming urge to vent about it. :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Speaking of commercials, has anyone else gotten so sick of the guy from Silicon Valley doing the Verizon Wireless commercials to the point where you're no longer going to watch Silicon Valley?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Speaking of commercials, has anyone else gotten so sick of the guy from Silicon Valley doing the Verizon Wireless commercials to the point where you're no longer going to watch Silicon Valley?
how about the fool (name is Paul, btw) who started with Verizon and wants you to buy stock in Sprint.....

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That commercial is ****ing garbage and should be shot into the sun, but my bet is the old guy is opening up World Series tickets there, hence the crying.

No issue with him, just with NESN showing it to me 5 billion times.

It's not even a New England person, the man was given tickets to an Alabama football bowl game

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Daniel BuckhannanPublished on Dec 23, 2012

Was blessed to be able to give my dad a ticket to the championship game. Roll Tide!

There is dad at the Orange Bowl

So there you go. That game at least had some meaning to that guy, no wonder he got choked up. It’s not like he got tickets to some random regular season Red Sox game like the ad suggests. They’re such frauds. Everything they do is so underhanded. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad