*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Is this source credible at all? After all, anyone can create a blog and "report" on anything.

Anyway, with Karmanos retiring and getting up there in age, it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually were to sell the team. However, I would think as long as he is owner, the team would remain located in the arena he owns. Karmanos is a big supporter of youth hockey in southeastern Michigan, so I could not imagine him moving the team while he is still owner.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Is this source credible at all? After all, anyone can create a blog and "report" on anything.

Anyway, with Karmanos retiring and getting up there in age, it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually were to sell the team. However, I would think as long as he is owner, the team would remain located in the arena he owns. Karmanos is a big supporter of youth hockey in southeastern Michigan, so I could not imagine him moving the team while he is still owner.

From past experiences reading Randy Russon's material, I would tend to believe what he puts out there.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
For those that can watch Hockey Night in Canada-Ron MacLean mentioned last night that Mike Vellucci is being considered for a position within the Carolina Hurricanes organization. As for moving to Flint or considering a move to Flint, I call BS. Who wants to go to a town that brings bigger crowds to crime scenes than sporting events? Relocate a team in the summer and be ready for this fall? Without an agreement in place for an arena? In other news...I had a couple of beers with Bigfoot last night.

Last edited:

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
For those that can watch Hockey Night in Canada-Ron MacLean mentioned last night that Mike Vellucci is being considered for a position within the Carolina Hurricanes organization. As for moving to Flint or considering a move to Flint, I call BS. Who wants to go to a town that brings bigger crowds to crime scenes than sporting events? Relocate a team in the summer and be ready for this fall? Without an agreement in place for an arena? In other news...I had a couple of beers with Bigfoot last night.
Relocate a team in the summer and be ready for this fall? Without an agreement in place for an arena? That is exactly what they did to the team in Guelph back in the late 80s., Literally packed there bags and equipment over night and I mean over night when it was dark in a van pulled out of Guelph straight to O.S.

Last edited:

hockeyniagara

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto (usually)
A move to Flint would be a huge step down for the Whalers. Hard to attract kids there I'd think. Southern Ontario sounds more credible. I've seen the OHL come and go from Ontario several times in my years in Ontario, hard to believe they'd want Hamilton as a destination. The Red Wings might have a thing or two to say about that as well.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.

Why not just move back to Detroit where you got fantastic support.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
A move to Flint would be a huge step down for the Whalers. Hard to attract kids there I'd think. Southern Ontario sounds more credible. I've seen the OHL come and go from Ontario several times in my years in Ontario, hard to believe they'd want Hamilton as a destination. The Red Wings might have a thing or two to say about that as well.

The Red Wings might have a thing or two to say about that as well. Not if the owners of the Red Wings buy the team. Even if they do not ,why would they stop them from moving back. The last time when there had the junior team in the same rinks they got big support. Once back in the tier two days in the 70s, and later also.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't be surprised if Plymouth is moved in the near future. I'm certain they have some good, dedicated fans (like the ones on this board) but their attendance has been so low for a team that is so successful. I've never been there so I can't be too harsh of a critic but the Compuware Arena doesn't seem like a building that really works for junior hockey unless you're nearly selling it out every night (like Niagara and Owen Sound). With what Velluci has done he's sure to get offered a promotion somewhere soon and perhaps the franchise moves after he moves.

I agree that Flint is not likely a candidate but perhaps they go somewhere in Ontario. Hamilton perhaps if the Bulldogs/Red Wings moved. Maybe Chatham/Kent if they get a new arena approved.

I feel bad for Plymouth fans if these rumors stick around. The rumors circling the Otters relocating were tough to deal with the past few years.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Why not just move back to Detroit where you got fantastic support.
You can't draw any fans if the venue isn't the Joe and I don't see them playing there. Why do you think it went to Plymouth? Because you couldn't get people to risk their lives in Detroit at the time. Same holds true today. Without an agreement for an arena, you couldn't get the Board of Governors to support it. I will find out more on this rumor tomorrow. If true, it is the best kept secret in team history. If they move, then I will follow Jr. Hockey a little, but I can't see myself or many other fans/season ticket holders supporting Windsor or Saginaw. This rumor makes it 4 over the last 10 years that I have heard about a sale/relocation. We have so many things for people to spend their entertainment dollar on and so many things that take people in different directions, such as High School sports and concerts. I will probably cry if the circus pulls out of town, but it is proudly our circus and we love em.

Last edited:

etr102

Mar 7, 2010
Windsor, ON
I would be very sad if the Whalers left Plymouth. With the proximity to Windsor, I attend road games in Plymouth several times per year (most Saturday night games). Anytime I've been to Compuware there is generally a pretty big crowd on hand and the fans are great. Always extremely loud but friendly to people in Spits jerseys.

The only complaint I have is with the PA Announcer at Compuware. I'm sorry, but that guy is an idiot! Do the fans actually like him?!

If Plymouth moves, I would hope that it's somewhere else in the greater Detroit area. I don't think Flint would be viable but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop by and pass along my best wishes. I sincerely hope you guys don't lose your team. You guys are great fans.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Love seeing plymouth fans up in the soo, and we've had a great rivalry. would be sad to see them go to the hammer.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I would be very sad if the Whalers left Plymouth. With the proximity to Windsor, I attend road games in Plymouth several times per year (most Saturday night games). Anytime I've been to Compuware there is generally a pretty big crowd on hand and the fans are great. Always extremely loud but friendly to people in Spits jerseys.

The only complaint I have is with the PA Announcer at Compuware. I'm sorry, but that guy is an idiot! Do the fans actually like him?!

If Plymouth moves, I would hope that it's somewhere else in the greater Detroit area. I don't think Flint would be viable but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop by and pass along my best wishes. I sincerely hope you guys don't lose your team. You guys are great fans.

I do not know about the rest of the fans, but the people in our section love our PA announcer -- and so do I. We really miss him on the few occasions when he's not doing the game. It was a pleasant surprise that he was the PA announcer for the Whalers - Knights outdoor game at Comerica this season.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
I do not know about the rest of the fans, but the people in our section love our PA announcer -- and so do I. We really miss him on the few occasions when he's not doing the game. It was a pleasant surprise that he was the PA announcer for the Whalers - Knights outdoor game at Comerica this season.

The back up announcer, whoever that is, I have a hard time understanding him. As for our 1st line announcer, Chris, he is excellent. If you ever have the chance to meet with him, he is top shelf.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The back up announcer, whoever that is, I have a hard time understanding him. As for our 1st line announcer, Chris, he is excellent. If you ever have the chance to meet with him, he is top shelf.

We've had 2 or 3 "backup" PA announcers the past couple of seasons, and none of them come close to comparing to Chris. I know the one you are referring to that was very difficult to even hear. Chris does a great job -- I even chuckled when he announced a Cody Payne goal for Saginaw earlier this year the same way he used to when Cody played for Plymouth.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Are the Whalers imploding?? 2 suspensions from Fri. night's game....Sandlak is facing a minimum of 3 games and Rathgeb is indefinite. Then Sat. night Hartman gets a 10 min. misconduct which then became a game misconduct for abuse of officials.....so I would be surprised if he didn't get something too as DB doesn't like that kind of thing at all. Those guys are not ones you want to lose when playing the top team in the OHL!

I know the Whalers take a fair number of penalties but this IS the playoffs and this is really kind of stupid on their part, dontcha think?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Are the Whalers imploding?? 2 suspensions from Fri. night's game....Sandlak is facing a minimum of 3 games and Rathgeb is indefinite. Then Sat. night Hartman gets a 10 min. misconduct which then became a game misconduct for abuse of officials.....so I would be surprised if he didn't get something too as DB doesn't like that kind of thing at all. Those guys are not ones you want to lose when playing the top team in the OHL!

I know the Whalers take a fair number of penalties but this IS the playoffs and this is really kind of stupid on their part, dontcha think?

I did not listen to any of Saturday's game, but Hartman has been a meathead all season when it comes to taking stupid penalties, so I wouldn't come to that conclusion from any of his actions. He was the same way last season, too. Hartman is one of the least disciplined "talented" players I have ever seen come through Plymouth. I always root for Whalers alumni after they leave here, but I will have a difficult time doing that with him. Still wish we had traded him at the deadline.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit

Yes, we have been jack wagons in the 1st 2 games. Go back about 12 posts and read from there. It sums up our feelings.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009

The Plymouth games that I have attended, I can say I like his style. The last thing the league needs is a bunch of clones. I think it adds to the atmosphere of attending an 'away' arena, noting the differences in each crowd.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I have no issue with the PA announcer. It adds to the entertainment element of his job. Plus it's a unique voice.
One another note, I think a lot of the attendance issues etc could be because there is no marketing of any games or even the team. Unless you "like" them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, you would have no idea they even existed. No newspaper coverage in the freep or detnews either. Would love to see them try and market the team more before they move. I know of people who will travel from Toledo, OH to come watch, instead of staying local and watching the local ECHL team. My girlfriend and I have turned on so many friends and coworkers to the team it is pretty crazy. Many who live in the area had no idea this even existed. I would be pretty upset to see this team relocate. Hope they don't and hope they start marketing the crap out of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad