Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
WBS wasn't our only farm team to blow a 3 goal lead last night. Wheeling was up 4-1 against Florida with under nine minutes left, and lost 4-5 in a shootout. Also, Reid McNeill has officially joined Adam Payerl on IR.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Just to throw the question out there...

How do you guys think Harrington will play in the Pens system? We're seeing a great player like Morrow taking time to adjust. The system isn't built for everyone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Continued from the other thread ...

I think someone like Josh Gorges is a good comparison to the kind of point totals Harrington is capable of at the NHL level. Not necessarily saying their games are identical, but just a comparable in terms of what kind of offense one can expect, based on Harrington's skillset.

Harrington's such a smart player, though, so I'm hesitant to put a ceiling on what his offensive potential is.

penguins2946*

If you were the Pens GM and you have the 20th pick, and both Zadorov and Domi were available, which would you pick? Or would you go away from the Knights and look elsewhere?

Oh yeah, the reason that Harrington wasn't a 1st round pick was that he was one of the youngest players in that draft. In the next draft, he would have been a top-20 pick

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Maata did not play tonight for London. Anyone know why? injured, scratched, or maybe he left for WJC camp?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you were the Pens GM and you have the 20th pick, and both Zadorov and Domi were available, which would you pick? Or would you go away from the Knights and look elsewhere?

Oh yeah, the reason that Harrington wasn't a 1st round pick was that he was one of the youngest players in that draft. In the next draft, he would have been a top-20 pick

It was because he had a bad season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't he sustain some sort of semi-serious injury, too?

Or am I just pulling that out of thin air?

EDIT: Evidently the latter. Aside from the WJC's I can't dig up any injury history on him.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just to throw the question out there...

How do you guys think Harrington will play in the Pens system? We're seeing a great player like Morrow taking time to adjust. The system isn't built for everyone.

I'm sure he'll take time to adjust, but he's young and smart enough that I have no doubt his game will translate well. I'm a lot more worried about how set-in-their-ways veterans adjust to Bylsma's system than our prospects.

Maybe that's the impetus for stocking up our defense pipeline to ridiculous degrees. Free agent defensemen - even quality, dependable ones - are no guarantee to succeed here. We're going to have to develop 'em like Sparta.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
...or maybe just concede that whatever half-harebrained system they're attempting to run right now is a bit too much and move on to something a little more straightforward and easier to adapt to. You don't get points in the standings for being clever. Though sometimes I think the Penguins might believe that you do.

penguins2946*

...or maybe just concede that whatever half-harebrained system they're attempting to run right now is a bit too much and move on to something a little more straightforward and easier to adapt to. You don't get points in the standings for being clever.

That would make too much sense. They play this stupid hybrid system that is almost impossible to adapt to. Look at Neal, he scored like once in 20 games one season, then he scores 40 the next one. I'd much rather see a definite defensive or offensive system, not half and half.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Or you have a defense that looks lights out one season and then can't seem to stop falling all over each other the very next. With nearly the same personnel.

But it's just bad luck/timing. Surely.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
...or maybe just concede that whatever half-harebrained system they're attempting to run right now is a bit too much and move on to something a little more straightforward and easier to adapt to. You don't get points in the standings for being clever. Though sometimes I think the Penguins might believe that you do.

But it has fueled a lot of success for WBS and the big team when Sid and Geno went down and they were short on skill. The problems seem to start when they get complacent, which leads to sloppy execution/missed assignments/odd-man rushes galore.

It's definitely labour-intensive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know that WB/S has been any more or any less successful in recent years due to systemic changes, though. But I suppose that begins to bleed over into personal opinion and interpretation of what quantifies "success." I'm also not sold on their system being the primary thing that has bailed them out when they needed it. If it has... it's done equally as much to hinder them. But again... lots of opinion, there.

I'm not gonna clog up this thread, though. I just don't see the need to reinvent the wheel. Do what delivered you a Cup, in the first place. No reason to get cute.

penguins2946*

In my opinion, the Pens need to play a defensive system. It's easier to make Sid play defense than Martin play offense. Run a system like what the Lightning have, capitalize on turnovers and work from there. The 1-3-1 is probably the best system in the league. Imagine what it could do on a good team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If this lockout doesn't kill my enthusiasm for the game... trying to watch my favorite team run the trap like the Lightning do surely would. Remember that Philly/Bolts game last season where they all stood around for a few minutes and just sorta stared at each other? Obviously that isn't anything close to the norm... but it's an alarming enough outlier to give someone pause.

penguins2946*

If this lockout doesn't kill my enthusiasm for the game... trying to watch my favorite team run the trap like the Lightning do surely would. Remember that Philly/Bolts game last season where they all stood around for a few minutes and just sorta stared at each other? Obviously that isn't anything close to the norm... but it's an alarming enough outlier to give someone pause.

It's hard to say what they should do, yeah, they have the 2 best offensive players in the game, but they also have a bunch of D that would suck in an offensive system. It's not an easy task. I think a 2-1-2 would work (we currently run a 1-2-2), but have it more of a 2-3 (as in 2 attacking and 3 back)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In my opinion, the Pens need to play a defensive system. It's easier to make Sid play defense than Martin play offense. Run a system like what the Lightning have, capitalize on turnovers and work from there. The 1-3-1 is probably the best system in the league. Imagine what it could do on a good team.
Yeah, no.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
The only positive that would come from the Pens running the 1-3-1 trap is that beer companies would see a large spike in sales since I'd need to be annihilated to watch that BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad