Official panic thread

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
No, what I'm giving the current management is time to figure things out.

PD would have figured it out of he was given a 10 year extension. ;)

Andlauer and Staios are doing exactly what they said they would do.

They wanted to see the entire team play together.... that meant waiting for Pinto to come back. They are now assessing the offseason goals.

Making hasty decisions will not be something from this front office.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
No, what I'm giving the current management is time to figure things out.
I remember the song about how it would take new ownership a season to learn the team, Dorion and DJ would be here at least that long and get used to it. Then Dorion and DJ gave them one option...fire both of them. I hear a different song now and it's comedy gold.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I remember the song about how it would take new ownership a season to learn the team, Dorion and DJ would be here at least that long and get used to it. Then Dorion and DJ gave them one option...fire both of them. I hear a different song now and it's comedy gold.
It is funny that Staios and Andlauer even wanted to be patient and their hands were basically forced into the firings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It couldn’t be injuries, strange suspensions and goaltending could it?

That is just some adversity that most teams face in a season but good teams (ex : Boston) easily overcome it because there is a culture, an commitment to win at all costs.

It has nothing to do with the deficit we had in management and coaching FOR YEARS

Those kids never played hockey before DJ, no other coaches or systems. I surmise they only had DJ structure since birth

Every player that played NHL hockey before Ottawa looked much better defensively when they first came than after. Jakob Chychrun didn't have the reputation he has now.

You guys laugh in a desperate attempt to save DJ/Dorion's reputation but they are the guys who brought us into this state of no enjoyable hockey for years.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
That is just some adversity that most teams face in a season but good teams (ex : Boston) easily overcome it because there is a culture, an commitment to win at all costs.

It has nothing to do with the deficit we had in management and coaching FOR YEARS
Last nights game was interesting. I'd think that a lot of people would feel that the Flyers are a team we should beat given that they were 3rd worse in the Conference last year with only 75 points (for reference Senators had 86 points). But, they are 3rd in the Metro this year. Their team save percentage this year is just .899 as well, so not sure how much good goaltending is driving their success. And interesting enough is that we lost to them even though we got pretty good goaltending last night. Tortorella has them playing well, the players have bought in and are implementing his systems. I guess what the Flyers have achieved this year is more along the lines of what we expected (hoped) for the Senators.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is there really some people who are trying to partially blame new management on anything? I mean, new ownership on September 21st, coaching staff per interim on December 18th and new GM on December 31st

I mean, we're basically 2 months into this. Drastic changes after these drastic changes would have been very unreasonable

Last nights game was interesting. I'd think that a lot of people would feel that the Flyers are a team we should beat given that they were 3rd worse in the Conference last year with only 75 points (for reference Senators had 86 points). But, they are 3rd in the Metro this year. Their team save percentage this year is just .899 as well, so not sure how much good goaltending is driving their success. And interesting enough is that we lost to them even though we got pretty good goaltending last night. Tortorella has them playing well, the players have bought in and are implementing his systems. I guess what the Flyers have achieved this year is more along the lines of what we expected (hoped) for the Senators.

Exactly, It was a bit unrealistic to expect this team to turn things around COMPLETELY after the coaching change. It was not a season's problem, it was a problem for YEARS. There was a CLEAR turnaround mid-January but the wheels fell off the last 4 games. We have to hope they turn things around as fast as possible and continue where they left off. It's more important than tanking.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Every player that played NHL hockey before Ottawa looked much better defensively when they first came than after. Jakob Chychrun didn't have the reputation he has now.

You guys laugh in a desperate attempt to save DJ/Dorion's reputation but they are the guys who brought us into this state of no enjoyable hockey for years.
That is not just adversity. That is taking the high road around some seriously poor goaltending. If you think other small market teams have the same issue of multiple key forwards being out for over half the season you are wrong.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That is not just adversity. That is taking the high road around some seriously poor goaltending. If you think other small market teams have the same issue of multiple key forwards being out for over half the season you are wrong.

Which other key forward (that had a career high of 35 pts) was out for over half the season? And Pinto was not out for OVER half of the season.

Goaltending has been an issue for sure but it was far from the only one. Team defense had vastly improved for a 20 games stretch

Another problem is that this team is too often outmuscled

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Which other key forward (that had a career high of 35 pts) was out for over half the season? And Pinto was not out for OVER half of the season.

Goaltending has been an issue for sure but it was far from the only one. Team defense had vastly improved for a 20 games stretch

Another problem is that this team is too often outmuscled
Norris… Greig, etc.
Over half a season for Pinto: season ain’t over.

Half the defensive core gonzo too.

Used to be the hardest hitting team… but some fans said it was useless and they wanted more skill.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Is it panic or more like fatigue. 7 full flushed seasons is a lot. Potentially more. That's almost 1/4 of this teams tenure.

At this rate, all the guys they moved to rebuild could be expired before this thing gets off the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Can we change the name of this one to Official Despair thread?

Half the fan base is just brutal hot takes like young stars being washed at 22 years old, 4 or 5 people trying to calm everyone down, and the rest being smart enough to just get off the socials for a while.

Good time to be a Sens fan to say the least!

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Half the fan base is just brutal hot takes like young stars being washed at 22 years old, 4 or 5 people trying to calm everyone down, and the rest being smart enough to just get off the socials for a while.

What do you mean? This is great stuff. I knew this year was going to be entertaining and franchise altering. I had no idea it would be epic though. Keep the content coming!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
4b4f03d1b68929ba030cb83f0eae8bec.jpg

Reactions: Dan Patrick

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I muted about 5-6 sens twitter losers a couple of months ago. this really helped. It didn't take much to get rid of the bad takes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's tough.

It's not just a failure, it's a regression.

You can see from New Jersey how precarious a season can be if you can't get the goaltending that you need.

But it's not as if they're lighting up the lamp with the league leaders. 13th in goals per game.

The team feels massively different with Pinto in the line-up. He's impressing me in terms of his compete level as the team implodes.

So losing him was a blow. I do think that it's 41 games of motivation for him to play his guts out.

Aside from him, the issues were all predictable. Unproven goaltending. Guys with health issues (Chabot, Norris) having health issues. Kubalik floating around.

They give up the first goal so easily and so quickly that it's impossible not to feel the sense of familiar dread.

I mean, what kind of statistic is that? How is a team in a league as competitive as it is right now supposed to overcome that kind of challenge on a nightly basis and not slowly go insane?

"We're going to keep working on our game etc. etc."

They all have the thousand-yard stare. Chabot is finally getting going and Chychrun doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing. He's completely checked out.

This is what Giroux signed up for? Two years of it out of three now? Man.

It reminds me of Alfredsson giving up on the team for an opportunity to play for a squad that presumably had their shit together. (They didn't). I wouldn't blame Claude at all if he bolted. He looks like he has plenty of hockey left.

Sanderson is like Sir Galahad, vainly trying to keep the team afloat. His confidence is impressive - even when he makes mistakes, it doesn't change how he plays. Does he have a Niedermayer type ceiling? That seems unfair to him at this point, but he has that full ice impact that is so rare.

The other guy that deserves mention is Mathieu Joseph. The trajectory of his play this year has been astounding really - to go from tradeable now please! to irreplaceable in the same season just shows the havoc that a guy with wheels who cares as much as he does can do.

Stutzle has never felt so low and it shows. I think he blames himself because he's assumed this role as the #1C and he's finding it hard to replicate last year's magic. Definitely flashes of what used to be a nightly thing. I think he's probably never been hurt this bad before either, and he's having a hard time playing through it.

Martin is patient because there's no alternative. Work on the fundamentals. Brush off mistakes. Keep at it. It's going to take awhile with this bunch.

I'm a proponent of not making emotional moves, and I think you typically get pennies on the dollar when unloading talent, so you have to be careful not to make moves for the sake of making them.

Unfortunately, we may not have a lot of choice with our current drafting situation and the need to rebuild up the prospect cupboard yet again.

This deadline is the first real challenge for our new management crew so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Norris… Greig, etc.
Over half a season for Pinto: season ain’t over.

Half the defensive core gonzo too.

As of now... Greig has missed only 10 games and Norris 9 games... and the team was already eliminated when he missed some of these.

If our season is entirely dependent on a sophomore missing 41 games and a rookie missing 10 games... We're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Chabot missed 22 games (injuries that hurt the most IMO)
Zub missed 13 games
Sanderson missed 3 games
Chchrun missed 0 games
Brannstrom missed 6 games

Our team has been relatively healthy this season

Used to be the hardest hitting team… but some fans said it was useless and they wanted more skill.

You don't need one more than the other, you need the right balance. It's also about hitting, it's about "agression" and fighting for time and space. It used to be free for all in our zone under DJ Smith.

This team has broken the fans collective soul and mind.

Having Melnyk and Dorion for so long is going to do that. I would add DJ to that list but poor guy, an assistant trying to do a level above what he is able to. Even for Dorion it was the same, Melnyk created this mess and new ownership in September can't overcome that in just a few months. That's what the fanbase doesn't understand (and of course external fans mocking the Sens)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad