*Official Moncton Wildcats 2014-15 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
Zacha was Quebec's pick at 2nd overall.

I knew the minute Allen Walsh expressed his frustration that he had a deal with a team that was draft after Sarnia. Makes sense since Quebec are hosting the memorial cup, what better way to help Zacha's draft stock. Sarnia should have a decent team as well. Goldobin, DeAngelo are 2 1st rounders. Not sure what the rest of the team looks like, but doubt they give Zacha the Opportunity to play in the memorial cup

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube · 23m ·
Johnathan MacLeod will not play with Moncton in the Q next season, will be at Boston University.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
so....let me get this straight. After reading the article on Malatesta, i'm not sure i know where this kid stands.
all in the same paragraph:

- He was a steal in the 11th round of the draft, and would have been a high draft pick if not for the fear of him going to college
- He was passed over in the NHL draft despite being a top dman (@17yrs old) in a Jr. A team that won the national title.
- He was passed over in the USHL draft
- He had no offers from any college teams

Its the first i ever hear of such a good player that was supposedly wanting to go the college route, receive no offers. No USHL draft, No college offers and this kid is stepping in to be a top 4 dman with the moncton wildcats??

WOW....all i can say. WOW!!!

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
so....let me get this straight. After reading the article on Malatesta, i'm not sure i know where this kid stands.
all in the same paragraph:

- He was a steal in the 11th round of the draft, and would have been a high draft pick if not for the fear of him going to college
- He was passed over in the NHL draft despite being a top dman (@17yrs old) in a Jr. A team that won the national title.
- He was passed over in the USHL draft
- He had no offers from any college teams

Its the first i ever hear of such a good player that was supposedly wanting to go the college route, receive no offers. No USHL draft, No college offers and this kid is stepping in to be a top 4 dman with the moncton wildcats??

WOW....all i can say. WOW!!!

Cause players never slip through the cracks...

Go crawl back into your hole.

gumby and pokey

Nov 20, 2013
PEI/PQ
in today's game, especially in a small area such as New England, seldom do players slip through the cracks any longer, IMO.
Fall hockey, winter team, spring team, summer showcase tournaments. Not today.
You may get a late bloomer that bursts onto the scene but not in this case.
His Junior A team was Tier 3, which everyone seems to forget, which makes it even more puzzling.
I hope he is great and has a terrific season but it is out of the ordinary that he has slipped through the cracks to this point. I've always been told there are never enough good defencman out there.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Cause players never slip through the cracks...

Go crawl back into your hole.

little sensitive are we? Hard to believe nobody ever noticed this kid....especially since he was going to be a high pick except for the fact that he was going college. I guess the college scouts never got the message. It's a lot of crack to fall through, when you consider 12 teammates of his this past season got commitments from Div.1 NCAA teams.

His play this season will reveal which is reality....through the cracks, or, a great sales job to the fans by an irving owned paper :)

Last edited:

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
So we have three people who never watched the kid play deeming him a bust. Awesome.

who called him a bust? if you have seen him play, please elaborate! explain to us, how a top 4 major junior caliber defensemen slipped everyone else.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
who called him a bust? if you have seen him play, please elaborate! explain to us, how a top 4 major junior caliber defensemen slipped everyone else.

I haven't seen him play and I'll be the first to admit that. But I find it extremely unfair that an 18 year old kid is being thrown under the bus because he didn't have a school offer. Maybe he's a late bloomer ? Those happen , don't they ? Maybe he comes to camp and doesn't fair well at all too but it's annoying to hear people shooting him down before they've seen him play a second of ice time.

And as far as how did a player slip by everyone .... There are a ton of examples. Claude Giroux being the most notable. He was passed over in the OHL draft and was an NHL first round within a few years. Now he's making 8.25 million a year for the Flyers.

I ask you the same question , how did he slip by everyone ??

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I haven't seen him play and I'll be the first to admit that. But I find it extremely unfair that an 18 year old kid is being thrown under the bus because he didn't have a school offer. Maybe he's a late bloomer ? Those happen , don't they ? Maybe he comes to camp and doesn't fair well at all too but it's annoying to hear people shooting him down before they've seen him play a second of ice time.

And as far as how did a player slip by everyone .... There are a ton of examples. Claude Giroux being the most notable. He was passed over in the OHL draft and was an NHL first round within a few years. Now he's making 8.25 million a year for the Flyers.

I think it's a fair point. I don't think any of us have seen him play, but on the same token, It's concerning that the guy got passed over by the USHL and didn't get any offers from schools. It raises some red flags. Is he a poor student? Maybe he's got poor work ethic. He's nearly 200 lbs at 5'10, maybe he doesn't spend any time in the gym?

I haven't seen him play either, so, it remains to be seen, but to pencil a guy like this into the top 4 when nobody has seen him play and only Moncton seems to think he's any good... I don't know about that one. The wildcats value Americans highly, we know that. I think they over-valued Askew just like they over-valued Shea. But, again, all remains to be seen.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012

actually if you know anyone that scouted for any OHL teams back then, they would tell you Giroux didn't slip. They would tell you nobody wanted to touch him because of two things - attitude and size.

Also - i'm not throwing him under the bus. I was asking the question: is he legitimately as good as the wildcats say he is, or , is he simply another sales job from the wildcats. Sorry, but, they do that every year. If you believe Neil Hodge, every year they have 12 first line players that all should have been drafted in the first round. BUT - by no means did i mean to throw him under the bus. Perhaps the kid is not a good student? that could easily explain a lack of scholarship offers.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
I think it's a fair point. I don't think any of us have seen him play, but on the same token, It's concerning that the guy got passed over by the USHL and didn't get any offers from schools. It raises some red flags. Is he a poor student? Maybe he's got poor work ethic. He's nearly 200 lbs at 5'10, maybe he doesn't spend any time in the gym?

I haven't seen him play either, so, it remains to be seen, but to pencil a guy like this into the top 4 when nobody has seen him play and only Moncton seems to think he's any good... I don't know about that one. The wildcats value Americans highly, we know that. I think they over-valued Askew just like they over-valued Shea. But, again, all remains to be seen.

The list is long....Shea, White...you can even go all the way back to Mike Fournier. The kid was on the season opening program cover as the next big thing, and he lasted all of 10 games. All hype!!

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Tucker White was traded to the Titan as part of the Mark Simpson trade according to l'Acadie Nouvelle.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
surprising since he wanted to get out of coaching. I assume his position will not be replaced with the wildcats??

He was more interested in getting into the management side but an NHL gig obviously made him change his mind. And the position won't be replaced other than adding to our scouting staff next season.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
He was more interested in getting into the management side but an NHL gig obviously made him change his mind. And the position won't be replaced other than adding to our scouting staff next season.

I was hoping they would use some of the savings on another assistant coach

M-A LeBlanc

Jun 24, 2013
Josh Pugsley will be playing for Amherst this season. another spots opens up, who could take it, i would like to see 19 yr old Daylan Lipanovich take that other wildcats spot, what about you guys ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad