Official Jim Robson Division Round 2 Results: Edmonton Oilers vs Burnaby Mountaineers

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: Gainey is given the unenviable task of shutting down Gretzky. Or, in this case, Gretzky is given the unenviable task of trying to score when Gainey's covering him.The Gainey-Sutter-Provost line shuts down Gretzky's line, while Sawchuk handles the other lines. Lehtinen and Propp face off against the Kennedy line while Carboneau faces off against Sittler. Neither team can put the puck in until early in the third when Pilote pinches from the point and scores through a Hadfield screen.

Edmonton wins 1-0

Game 2: Gretzky's creativity is starting to break the shackles of Gainey, but, Sawchuk is still holding them at bay, only a Kurri one-timer beats him. Kennedy ties it late in the game, but MacInnis scores the overtime winner.

Burnaby wins 2-1 in overtime.

Game 3: Home ice advantage gives Badger Bob more options in shutting down Gretzky, but, once again, creativity is a factor as The Great One scores on a great move to shake both Gainey and Boivin. Suchy then starts to get going and scores pinching from the point. As the offence gets rolling, Burnaby gets more comfortable, but Sawchuk keeps it close. Turgeon scores an empty netter.

Burnaby wins 3-0

Game 4: The Gainey line is able to match the Gretzky line due to the stellar play of Sawchuk. Vernon and Burnaby's defensive forwards are able to stiffle any offence from Edmonton. What it comes down to is offense from the blueline as Pilote, Pratt and Siebert are getting quality chances for Edmonton, while MacInnis and Suchy pepper Sawchuk with shots. Eventually, MacInnis and Pilote score, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Burnaby learns a valuable lesson, with Kennedy and Anderson on the ice, you can shut them down, but when it matters, when it really matters, they will catch a break. Anderson scores the winner.

Edmonton wins 2-1 in overtime.

Game 5: Roenick gets an early goal, deflecting a MacInnis point shot. Stellar defensive play keeps Edmonton just behind the eightball all game, but, early in the third, MacDonald ties it up. Soon after, Pitre scores a go ahead goal. Kamensky ties it up on a Gretzky pass. But with less than two minutes to go, Sittler scores the winner.

Edmonton wins 3-2

Game 6: Studying, that's what Gretzky's been doing. Learning the flaws in the Gainey line, and now, he picks them apart seemlessly. Two goals and setts up Kurri, Kamensky, MacInnis and Suchy. Edmonton, out of their element in such a high scoring game, gets two from Kovalchuk and one from Sittler.

Burnaby wins 6-3

Game 7: Badger Bob mixes it up, putting Hadfield with Sittler and MacDonald and Sutter with Poulin and Pitre. If Gretzky has learned Sutter and Gainey's game, then Poulin and Sutter may keep him somewhat at bay for now. In the first, the theory works perfectly. Hadfield clicks with Sittler as Pilote scores past a Hadfield screen and a Sittler pass to give Edmonton the early lead. Kennedy adds to the lead in the second, but, Gretzky starts to figure Poulin out and sets up Kurri for a goal. Early in the third, Gretzky scores and sets up MacInnis, giving Burnaby their first lead of the game. Burnaby tries everything to tie it up, but Vernon is solid. Sawchuk stands on his head to prevent any further Gretzky damage. With seconds to go, Anderson scores to send it to overtime. In overtime, defense rules the show, Burnaby carries the offensive advantage, but Sawchuk is increadible. Chances at both end, but great goaltending, defense and backchecking prevents anything from materializing. Neither team is going to lose this. One overtime down. Two down, three down! We're in the fourth overtime and neither time is giving an inch. Late in the frame, Gretzky passes back to MacInnis, MacInnis to Kurri, Kurri to Gretzky, one timer...STOPPED by Sawchuk. Sawchuk clears it over Vasiliev, Kovalchuk wins the race for the puck, Kovalchuk in all alone, dekes out Vernon, SCORES! Ilya Kovalchuk has won it in overtime!

Edmonton wins 4-3 in overtime.

Three Stars:
3rd: Al MacInnis
2nd: Wayne Gretzky
1st: Terry Sawchuk

The Edmonton Oilers defeat the Burnaby Mountaineers four games to three.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kovalchuk?! :amazed:

Unclear what role penalties, powerplays and penalty kills played. Shanahan and Larmer were invisible. Bowman was not a factor.

Biggest upset of the playoffs, as #4 advances.

I appreciate all that Nalyd Psycho has done. Thank you.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Wow, that Kovalchuk is clutch! No, wait. I mean he was clearly offside!

All this talk of clutch players and Ilya gets the winner. :eek:

I guess he was drunk when he was done. :cheers:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Yes! Some redemption for the much maligned Kovalchuk pick!

The Anderson for Cleghorn trade turns out to be a win/win for both teams.

Sawchuk as a first round pick seems to be paying off as was the strategy to put together a hard working lunchbucket type team.

Thanks VanIslander for the matchup, your team was more than a worthy opponent and I look forward to seeing what kind of team you're able to put together next draft.

Battle of Alberta coming up!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Wow, that Kovalchuk is clutch! No, wait. I mean he was clearly offside!

All this talk of clutch players and Ilya gets the winner. :eek:

I guess he was drunk when he was done. :cheers:
Don't worry, Nalyd, you weren't the only one who was drunk last night. I'm in recovery mode right now, too, after the fatal combo of too much wine and just enough Alexander Keith's.

Congrats to Edmonton and Burnaby on such a great series, and to Nalyd for bringing it to life. We knew this would be a classic the moment the regular season rankings were released. I must admit, I was surprised by the end result, but I'm not surprised that it went 7, and that it was decided in OT.

And now we get the Battle of Alberta. I'm expecting some great action on the ice between two teams that are very tough to play against - and who boast great goaltenders - and some good talk off the ice.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
My line of thinking, with Vernon in net, game 7 overtime, who's most like Pavel Bure....

But yeah, fatal mix of tequila and beer... Not often I get to celebrate a Canucks victory...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad