HF Habs: Official Habs Mock Draft 2018 Edition - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Let's just say I believe the Habs should be drafting the best player available and that will not be Boqvist, talent but very undersized dman (5-10 about 170lbs I believe). Drafting for need is not smart with the 3rd overall pick.

Well, Boqvist is a RHD, so if we’re talking about needs, he doesn’t fill them for Montreal... center or LHD.

Anyhow, most teams won’t go by “professional” rankings. They will have their own lists and go with that. I doubt Montreal has Boqvist as #3 anyways but for a mock, I still think that was a good pick. Boqvist has likely fallen a bit due to his recent concussion and reportedly second this season. Still, his skills and upside are ridiculous.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback guys!

As I said when I picked him, I think Hayton will have more opportunities next year with the top Soo guys moving on to the pros. I think he'll have a monster year. But yeah I hesitated for a long time between him and Veleno and went for the highest upside between the two.

Yeah, I think Hayton is poised to have a great D+1 year. I also think you definitely made the right call between the center choices you had.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You’re really against him. :laugh:

I was talking about people hating the Boqvist pick.. if that wasn't entirely clear, haha.

I've heard this a bunch about guys like Boqvist or Kotkaniemi "They are good players, but not at 3, more like 5-10", that isn't really far away.. it isn't like advocating for Tkachuk, who despite rankings, is more of a middle first a 10-15 guy, than a top 10 guy.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
:avs

16. Barrett Hayton
47. Cameron Hillis
62. Philip Kurashev
78. Philip Johansson
109. Danila Galenyuk
140. Pavel Shen
171. Kevin Mandolese
202. (Autopick) Kristian Reichel

Thoughts? Would like some feedback from experienced mock participants.

In the early mock on this board, I had L.A & took Hayton at 17. Really felt he fits into their culture & he's a talented guy. He'll go in that range, 15-20.

He's not flashy more of a ROR type, but he's talented. If L.A. did draft him he'd probably end up on the wing, but I think he's a perfect 2C behind MacKinnon & they need to start building from the center position behind him.

I personally like your first 5 picks. Hillis, Kurashev & Johansson are all very skilled players with high upside, which is what you want rounds 2-3. (Oh, I took Johansson too in the last mock.)

After 3rd round, you're looking for something that'll make them an NHLer, even if it's just one aspect of their game. Most are project picks. Galenyuk is defensively responsible & physical. He's good value in the 4th.

Not sure if any of your last 3 picks get drafted, but it's a guessing game at that point & you can say that about anyone else's picks in that range too.

Overall, it's a very solid draft. I try to keep track of where my picks go in the actual draft & follow the successes. 2 years ago I drafted Henrik Borgstrom in the 3rd round for Philadelphia. He went in 1st round to Florida. I was thrilled.

In 2015, for Chicago I drafted Cooper Marody late in the 5th & he went in the 6th, but I also drafted Nathan Noel in the 4th & he didn't get drafted. I was really disappointed.

These mocks help get me up for the draft & I get to cheer on some prospects.

Anyways, very solid draft.

Reactions: Toene

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
EVERY LIST HAS HIM 5-7

Wow 2 spots away from 3.. that's a HUGE reach

Of course not but taking an talented but undersized dman with a few concussions is more risky than a taking a talented winger without the injury history.

With the way things are going with this club, more risk is not what they need now. They took a risk getting Drouin and while only one season, that risk has worked against them.

At the end of the day, if they Habs took him, I would not be terribly mad but I would start praying to the hockey gods that he remains healthy and that the Habs don't bungle his development.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Of course not but taking an talented but undersized dman with a few concussions is more risky than a taking a talented winger without the injury history.

With the way things are going with this club, more risk is not what they need now. They took a risk getting Drouin and while only one season, that risk has worked against them.

At the end of the day, if they Habs took him, I would not be terribly mad but I would start praying to the hockey gods that he remains healthy and that the Habs don't bungle his development.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of prospects have had head injuries along the way but it doesn't really come into play until they are on the radar. I'm not worried about that.

Defense is more valuable than wingers and I really think they should take Dobson or Boqvist over Zadina and especially Tkachuk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Boqvist was #2 or #3 all year, hes one of the most talented defender to be drafted in the last decade or so, hes a special one.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd be willing to bet a lot of prospects have had head injuries along the way but it doesn't really come into play until they are on the radar. I'm not worried about that.

Defense is more valuable than wingers and I really think they should take Dobson or Boqvist over Zadina and especially Tkachuk.

Don't think Bergevin agrees with that one...I mean he only gave up a great d prospect for a winger who he wants to play center...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
In the early mock on this board, I had L.A & took Hayton at 17. Really felt he fits into their culture & he's a talented guy. He'll go in that range, 15-20.

He's not flashy more of a ROR type, but he's talented. If L.A. did draft him he'd probably end up on the wing, but I think he's a perfect 2C behind MacKinnon & they need to start building from the center position behind him.

I personally like your first 5 picks. Hillis, Kurashev & Johansson are all very skilled players with high upside, which is what you want rounds 2-3. (Oh, I took Johansson too in the last mock.)

After 3rd round, you're looking for something that'll make them an NHLer, even if it's just one aspect of their game. Most are project picks. Galenyuk is defensively responsible & physical. He's good value in the 4th.

Not sure if any of your last 3 picks get drafted, but it's a guessing game at that point & you can say that about anyone else's picks in that range too.

Overall, it's a very solid draft. I try to keep track of where my picks go in the actual draft & follow the successes. 2 years ago I drafted Henrik Borgstrom in the 3rd round for Philadelphia. He went in 1st round to Florida. I was thrilled.

In 2015, for Chicago I drafted Cooper Marody late in the 5th & he went in the 6th, but I also drafted Nathan Noel in the 4th & he didn't get drafted. I was really disappointed.

These mocks help get me up for the draft & I get to cheer on some prospects.

Anyways, very solid draft.

Wow, amazing feedback. Thanks for the comments. Like you say last rounds are a crap shoot so you go for specific skills. But if their names are floating around among scouts maybe they get signed as undrafted FA or something and imo that's still a win. Like Minulin whom I drafted last year in the HFHabs mock (in the 4th round I think?). With a legit showing at the Mem cup maybe he got some visibility, if he doesnt get drafted some team may probably sign him next year. Come to think of it, I shouldve drafted him this year as he's still eligible. Too late to change my auto-pick I guess.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Defensemen are more valuable in a vacuum but top-end wingers like Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Ovie, Wheeler, Hall, etc. are as valuable as the best centers and defensemen. Not saying Zadina belongs in that group in a near future but if he reaches full potential he may well eventually be and in this case he'd be the more valuable player. The same applies to Wahlstrom.

If Boqvist becomes a Vatanen or a Spurgeon level-player, that's pretty good, but if at the same time Zadina/Wahlstrom become top-10 wingers they shall be considered more valuable and a better pick at 3rd imo. Obviously, OTOH, if Boqvist becomes Karlsson 2.0 and Zadina becomes like Sam Bustnett or something the opposite applies. What I mean is their room for growth makes the difference imo. So it depends on the dev. curves trajectories of each kid. I think you cant go wrong with either of Zadina, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard. My pick would be one of the forwards because the Habs direly need goalscoring but the highest ceiling belongs to Boqvist. If he gets bigger and adapts well to NA ice... watch out.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
1st round, 1st overall - Rasmus Dahlin (value: 1000, went 1st => value:1000, difference: 0)
2nd round, 32nd overall - K'Andre Miller (value: 154, went 22nd => value 227, difference: +73)
4th round, 94th overall - Marcus Westfält (value: 69, went 205th => value: 34, difference: -35)
4th round, 117th overall - Logan Hutsko (value: 54, went 89th => value: 70, difference: +16)
5th round, 125th overall - Alexis Gravel (value: 52, went 162nd => value: 43, difference: -9)
6th round, 156th overall - Einar Emanuelsson (value: 44, undrafted, difference: -44)
7th round, 187th overall - Shamil Shmakov (value: 38, went 202nd => value: 34, difference: -4)

Overall even value. I expected Miller to go higher and Westfält to go lower than where they went. Other than that, no big surprise. Fairly happy with what I got.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1st round, 9th overall - Quinn Hugues (drafted 1st round: 7th)
1st round, 28th overall - Ty Dellandrea (drafted 1st round: 13th)
1st round, 29th overall - Serron Noel (drafted 2nd round: 34th)
2nd round, 39th overall - Jacob Bernard-Docker (drafted 1st round: 26th)
2nd round, 48th overall - Jay O'Brien (drafted 1st round: 19th)
3rd round, 70th overall - Albin Eriksson (drafted 2nd round: 44th)
3rd round, 90th overall - Luka Burzan (not drafted!)
4th round, 101th overall - Joey Keane (drafted 3rd round: 88th)
5th round, 132nd overall - Declan Chisholm (drafted 5th round: 150th)
6th round, 163rd overall - Dennis Busby (drafted 5th round: 145th)

Excellent value overall. Still no idea why Burzan wasn't drafted at all.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
1st round, 9th overall - Quinn Hugues (drafted 1st round: 7th)
1st round, 28th overall - Ty Dellandrea (drafted 1st round: 13th)
1st round, 29th overall - Serron Noel (drafted 2nd round: 34th)
2nd round, 39th overall - Jacob Bernard-Docker (drafted 1st round: 26th)
2nd round, 48th overall - Jay O'Brien (drafted 1st round: 19th)
3rd round, 70th overall - Albin Eriksson (drafted 2nd round: 44th)
3rd round, 90th overall - Luka Burzan (not drafted!)
4th round, 101th overall - Joey Keane (drafted 3rd round: 88th)
5th round, 132nd overall - Declan Chisholm (drafted 5th round: 150th)
6th round, 163rd overall - Dennis Busby (drafted 5th round: 145th)

Excellent value overall. Still no idea why Burzan wasn't drafted at all.

that is some value you get there. Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad