Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
i brought my 11 pro last december.
Normal. My battery health dropped to 85% in two years of use. Losing 7-8% per year is normal. And yes, Apple does mess with the battery health to show 100% when it is likely 95-99%. Same way your battery icon will show 100% for its first half hour of use, when you know it is likely lower.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
i brought my 11 pro last december.

It's not unusual to have some battery degradation over time depending on how much you use it and how many charge cycles you go through. 93% or whatever is not bad and I wouldn't worry about it. If you're burning through battery check location services for aps and adjust battery saving options.

Something I learned the last day that blew my mind. You can set up short cuts, activated by tapping the back of your iPhone, two or three taps. I currently have one to screenshot but there are several options.

Settings/accessibility/touch/back tap. Amazing!

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's not unusual to have some battery degradation over time depending on how much you use it and how many charge cycles you go through. 93% or whatever is not bad and I wouldn't worry about it. If you're burning through battery check location services for aps and adjust battery saving options.

Something I learned the last day that blew my mind. You can set up short cuts, activated by tapping the back of your iPhone, two or three taps. I currently have one to screenshot but there are several options.

Settings/accessibility/touch/back tap. Amazing!

Brilliant! I'm using it to bring up Control Center. Very handy to use on a bigger phone.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
My new addiction is Micro Breaker. It’s an Arkanoid-style game - very polished, very challenging, very fun to play. Highly recommended.

And if you like that one, Pin Out is a pinball game with a similar aesthetic. Quite addictive.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Normal. My battery health dropped to 85% in two years of use. Losing 7-8% per year is normal. And yes, Apple does mess with the battery health to show 100% when it is likely 95-99%. Same way your battery icon will show 100% for its first half hour of use, when you know it is likely lower.
My 11 Pro battery health is at 99%
Since I bougt an iPad Pro, that's what I use for media consuption most of the time; before that I used to use my phones a lot to watch content which degraded the battery health more quickly

Another trick is to make sure you don't go under 25% too frequently

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Not sure if this is the right thread, but, has anyone gone from a Fitbit Versa to an Apple Watch? Or Vice Versa? What were your thoughts?

I’ve had a Versa 2 for about a year and liked it for the most part. The heart rate monitor was sometimes kind wonky but other than that no complaints. I recently got an Apple Watch 6 and it’s taking some getting used to.

Reactions: David71

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not sure if this is the right thread, but, has anyone gone from a Fitbit Versa to an Apple Watch? Or Vice Versa? What were your thoughts?

I’ve had a Versa 2 for about a year and liked it for the most part. The heart rate monitor was sometimes kind wonky but other than that no complaints. I recently got an Apple Watch 6 and it’s taking some getting used to.

I went from a fitbit to an Apple watch years ago. The one thing I really liked about the Fitbit was its dashboard layout at the time. The problem I had with the fitbit is it was not tracking HR after 120 BPM. Maybe I had a bad unit but I figured with the Apple integration the change was worth it. The health dashboard provides a lot of info for you provided you wear your watch alot.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I went from a fitbit to an Apple watch years ago. The one thing I really liked about the Fitbit was its dashboard layout at the time. The problem I had with the fitbit is it was not tracking HR after 120 BPM. Maybe I had a bad unit but I figured with the Apple integration the change was worth it. The health dashboard provides a lot of info for you provided you wear your watch alot.

Thanks for the info. I’m in the same boat. Just got the series 6, switching from the Versa 2. The heart rate was just so inaccurate. I’d be doing squats or heavy leg press and it would say my HR was like 110, which is impossible.

The Apple Watch isn’t too user friendly so far and I definitely like the dashboard on the Fitbit better. Filling those rings were more fulfilling. The HR tracker is way more accurate on the Apple though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Thanks for the info. I’m in the same boat. Just got the series 6, switching from the Versa 2. The heart rate was just so inaccurate. I’d be doing squats or heavy leg press and it would say my HR was like 110, which is impossible.

The Apple Watch isn’t too user friendly so far and I definitely like the dashboard on the Fitbit better. Filling those rings were more fulfilling. The HR tracker is way more accurate on the Apple though.

There are some decent 3rd party aps. I use zones. The data in the Apple health ap is pretty good.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Randomly turned on my MacBook Pro today to a message that my battery is done. Bought in late 2017. Sucks because I’m pretty good with the laptop, although I do tend to leave it plugged in past 100%.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Randomly turned on my MacBook Pro today to a message that my battery is done. Bought in late 2017. Sucks because I’m pretty good with the laptop, although I do tend to leave it plugged in past 100%.

Update: Apparently it’s an issue with a small number of MacBooks. They’re replacing the battery for free

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wonder if Apple realizes that very few people give a shit when they release a new color. Your phones are so damn fragile that you'd have to be a dummy to not cover that up with a case.

Reactions: Supermassive

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Big fan of Apple adding TV color calibration to any iPhone that has FaceID and Apple TV 4K, used it last night on my TV--it didn't change my settings drastically, but it was a really appreciated feature

Wish they added software to calibrate monitors on macOS/Windows using just the iPhone since it clearly has an accurate colorimeter built in

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

thinking about getting an apple watch as well. se seemes cheaper than the 6, mainly for exercise and other stuff. worth it to pay the extra 100 bucks or so? im watching reviews on both se and series 6.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
thinking about getting an apple watch as well. se seemes cheaper than the 6, mainly for exercise and other stuff. worth it to pay the extra 100 bucks or so? im watching reviews on both se and series 6.

Honestly, I’d rather go back to the Fitbit if I had the chance.

I like the interface for the Fitbit soooo much better. It laid everything out much neater and cleaner. Fulfilling the rings was also satisfying for some reason.

The iWatch has a lot of bells and whistles, but who’s gonna use that shit? I’ve tried the pulse ox checker and the ECG once. It was cool, yeah, but I’m never gonna use it again.

The heart rate monitor is hands down better on the iWatch. The Fitbit would take forever to catchup.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

I like the interface for the Fitbit soooo much better. It laid everything out much neater and cleaner. Fulfilling the rings was also satisfying for some reason.

The iWatch has a lot of bells and whistles, but who’s gonna use that shit? I’ve tried the pulse ox checker and the ECG once. It was cool, yeah, but I’m never gonna use it again.

The heart rate monitor is hands down better on the iWatch. The Fitbit would take forever to catchup.

yah heart rate monitor is a must for me.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

If you do get an AW, just take note of how much storage difference there is between the SE and 6. I have a series 3, and honestly love it, except for the storage...which is odd, as I don't store anything on it, but the OS updates are massive. The watch has "4" GB of storage, and the updates are about 3, except the storage is really closer to 3.

Otherwise, I don't care about features like pulse oximeters or the ECG whatever, as TBH, I just don't think measuring your O2 level on your wrist is going to be all that accurate.

As for the latest AW update that allows unlocking while wearing a mask, it's nice, it's uses both the unlocked paired phone and watch and Face ID to do it all, just wish it didn't take Apple this long to enable it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Yeah I really liked the dashboard on the Fitbit, I don't know why Apple can't clean theirs up although it's all on your health page. There are some 3rd party apps that are better.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Been thinking about buying new 12.9 inch ipad. I know the miniled is worse but I probably prefer it to oled for longevity.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00