OT: Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

ClicheGuevara

Mar 29, 2004
San Jose, CA
Sharks Ice @ SJ had a big credit card security breach. A lot of people were pinged with fraudulent out-of-state charges. I got lucky and BoA called me after rejecting a $300 grocery purchase in AZ. Hopefully, you all were spared.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Sharks Ice @ SJ had a big credit card security breach. A lot of people were pinged with fraudulent out-of-state charges. I got lucky and BoA called me after rejecting a $300 grocery purchase in AZ. Hopefully, you all were spared.

THATS why I got a call from Citi the other day!

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Hi all, I'm new around these parts...just moving back to the Bay Area after living most of my life in sunny Minnesota. I've been really getting into playing hockey lately, just finished up an awesome beginner program back home. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on leagues in the Bay Area? Is the Sharks Ice league any good? Anything closer to the San Francisco side that's got a good reputation? I could also make the trip down to SJ if it's really worth the trip (my job's down in the Valley so I could just stick around after work if I had to).

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Hi all, I'm new around these parts...just moving back to the Bay Area after living most of my life in sunny Minnesota. I've been really getting into playing hockey lately, just finished up an awesome beginner program back home. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on leagues in the Bay Area? Is the Sharks Ice league any good? Anything closer to the San Francisco side that's got a good reputation? I could also make the trip down to SJ if it's really worth the trip (my job's down in the Valley so I could just stick around after work if I had to).

Welcome to the Bay! Sharks ice league is the best one in the bay, due mainly to the sharks ice facility. The other leagues, at least on the peninsula (I can't speak for east bay), are run "well" meaning the management is good but the ice is usually a bit crappy.

I'm not sure about SF, but te other close rinks are in Belmont and San Carlos. I think those leagues would be fine for a beginner, but you'll open up many more options by playing at SJ. Options for after beginner teams that is. I think players have a tough time branching out at smaller leagues.

If you can manage, I'd make the trip down to SJ to play. The ice is much better (relatively speaking) and Stanley's sports bar is a nice post game perk which is upstairs and overlooks 3 of the rinks.

Hope that helps!

Sharkzfan

Jul 26, 2012

Sharks Ice Oakland is your best bet. Beginner is bronze league on Sat and Sun nights. Preseason was this last weekend. You could still find a team.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Sharks Ice Oakland is your best bet. Beginner is bronze league on Sat and Sun nights. Preseason was this last weekend. You could still find a team.

Awesome, that seems right up my alley. I put myself on the free agent list so now I'll cross my fingers, though it looks like I might be S.O.L. since the free agent skate was last week. Maybe I'll try and get in on their adult classes to stay sharp if I don't hear from any of the captains.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

I've played in the top league in San Francisco where you will find ex Div1 college players and some players who were drafted by nhl clubs but never made to the nhl. There are also lower level teams there too. They play at Yerba Buena. Gametimes vary and some leagues have really late games which I cannot do. I currently play in San Jose and Cupertino, but both leagues have lots of really late games that don't work out. The ice in San Jose ice pretty good.

Sharkzfan

Jul 26, 2012
Awesome, that seems right up my alley. I put myself on the free agent list so now I'll cross my fingers, though it looks like I might be S.O.L. since the free agent skate was last week. Maybe I'll try and get in on their adult classes to stay sharp if I don't hear from any of the captains.

Contact management. They can get you on a team now. I'm sure all the teams aren't 100% full. [email protected]

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Any recommendations on how to get started? Never played hockey but can skate forward well enough (can't skate backwards)

ChokingV

Mar 25, 2006
Downtown SJ

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Pickup

I'm coming up to San Jose for the weekend and bringing my hockey gear to get a skate in.

Anyone know how the Friday skates are at either Sharks Ice or Cupertino Ice?

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Probably overdue for a post here ... :D

I started ice skating early this year, but have been busy with work the past few months. I'm now serious about playing.

But one major hang up that prevented me from pursuing it before is that I work every other weekend, and the beginner leagues at Sharks Ice run games on Fri, Sat, and Sun (I believe).

Does anyone know of any other South Bay beginner leagues that have games consistently on a workday each week (which I could request off from work)?

Thanks!

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009

I started ice skating early this year, but have been busy with work the past few months. I'm now serious about playing.

But one major hang up that prevented me from pursuing it before is that I work every other weekend, and the beginner leagues at Sharks Ice run games on Fri, Sat, and Sun (I believe).

Does anyone know of any other South Bay beginner leagues that have games consistently on a workday each week (which I could request off from work)?

Thanks!

I think the 35+ leagues are a consistent Tuesday or Wednesday each week, and the skill level is the beginner (E) levels. There's a lot less physical play there as well. That said, you just get assigned a team (Team Blue, for example) and they don't keep scores or anything, so it's a little different atmosphere.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I think the 35+ leagues are a consistent Tuesday or Wednesday each week, and the skill level is the beginner (E) levels. There's a lot less physical play there as well. That said, you just get assigned a team (Team Blue, for example) and they don't keep scores or anything, so it's a little different atmosphere.

Thanks for the info Sleepy. That sounds like it would be a great start, except I won't be 35+ for almost the next 10 years ... :/

Anyone know anything about Cupertino or any other rinks?

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

Thanks!

Do you work days or nights?

Beginner leagues (E Level) are typically Sunday and Monday nights with the occasional Saturday and Wednesday night games. During Spring/Summer season you can get some occasional Sunday day games. But most game start between 8:30pm and 11:15pm.

But no, the schedule is definitely not consistent. Many players go "part-time" though if they can't make a lot of games. They pay less than the full-time rate and play about half the games. But it really depends on the team and how they decide to set this up.

If you don't mind playing late games and it doesn't interfere with work, it should be pretty easy to get some consistent games in.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Thanks wishman.

I actually do work nights, which would make it that much tougher. Thanks for all the info ... really appreciate it.

xMARCStheSPOT

Oct 22, 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
If someone were to begin playing ice, how much money would they be looking to put out per season? I've played roller all my life and i've always wanted to make the jump over to ice just for the fun of it. I can skate well on ice and all that isn't a problem. I'm just curious how much more i'd have to be looking at, if I can make the move over to ice. Also how long are the seasons and what are the membership fees like over at Sharks Ice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad