Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have taken even a cusorty look at a grand total of like 4 players, but the idea of Parekh and Buium being 10 and 11 on a consensus board does not exactly align with the idea of a weak draft.

(I know weak/strong is about the top handful of players and essentially holds no meaningful value as a term. It's just mind-bending from the outside.)

If I had to guess, when you get out of the top 15/16 players, it kind of has a bit of a drop off. That's how I see it anyways.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If I had to guess, when you get out of the top 15/16 players, it kind of has a bit of a drop off. That's how I see it anyways.

Like I said, I don't have the knowledge base to comment on this specific class so I'm just going to assume this is fair. But there is always a second and third sizeable drop somewhere between 6 and 22ish. That doesn't feel particularly poor. This is part of why I prefer tiers to rankings so much for discussion purposes.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Like I said, I don't have the knowledge base to comment on this specific class so I'm just going to assume this is fair. But there is always a second and third sizeable drop somewhere between 6 and 22ish. That doesn't feel particularly poor. This is part of why I prefer tiers to rankings so much for discussion purposes.

I think all of the "weak draft" chat comes from the fact it is really thin in terms of C's. Probably really only 6 guys in the draft with a legit chance to be top 6 level barring some very late, quick, development.

But on D? Best draft on paper since 2008.
And at wing? Above average I think.

I think that pick ~50 in this draft will be "above average"... given that guys like Gridin, Surin, Shuravin, Fransen, Muggli etc are some of the guys likely to be there or thereabouts and their level/potential.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean... Yakemchuk is probably the consensus ~6th best Dman in this draft.

He is a 6'3 righty with 120 PIM, from the WHL who was over P/GP this season and he might not go top 15 lmao.

Last year he would likely have been the 2-3rd Dman off the board (I mean, vs Simashev and Willander? Yeh, I would say teams would probably have favoured him or had him at worst 2nd of the 3)
In 2022? Probably a toss-up between him and Korchinski for 3rd D gone.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Will the Eggman revert back to building this team from the blueline out? A 1D is obviously what the doctor ordered, and given how thin the draft is in terms of top Cs as Appleyard pointed out above, makes me think it is inevitable that the 9-14th pick is a d-man.

I think all of the "weak draft" chat comes from the fact it is really thin in terms of C's. Probably really only 6 guys in the draft with a legit chance to be top 6 level barring some very late, quick, development.

But on D? Best draft on paper since 2008.
And at wing? Above average I think.

I think that pick ~50 in this draft will be "above average"... given that guys like Gridin, Surin, Shuravin, Fransen, Muggli etc are some of the guys likely to be there or thereabouts and their level/potential.

Who is the top C that could realistically be available for the Florida pick?

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Will the Eggman revert back to building this team from the blueline out? A 1D is obviously what the doctor ordered, and given how thin the draft is in terms of top Cs as Appleyard pointed out above, makes me think it is inevitable that the 9-14th pick is a d-man.

Who is the top C that could realistically be available for the Florida pick?

A few months ago I would have screamed "Hage" from the rooftops. But now? I think he goes top 20.

Which really leaves Boisvert and Misa... albeit Misa is maybe not a true C as spends half time at wing.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
With it looking like the Flyers are most likely to pick 12th right now (2-2-0, 1-3-0 and 0-4-0 will all likely mean they pick 9-12th)...

I think there will be some excellent prospects available when the Flyers pick.

IF they pick 12-13th?

Celebrini, Catton, Lindstrom, Helenius
Demidov,
Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev

will all very likely be gone... that is 8 guys.

Eiserman, Iginla, Greentree, MBN, Connelly
Parekh, Buium, Yakemchuk, Jiricek

is another 9 guys who I think a lot of teams inside pick 12 will "think" about. Only 3/9 will be gone before #12.

I just hope one of Parekh or Buium make it tbh... I guess a 50:50 chance one does.
Thx Alex, how would you feel about Yakemchuk at 12 as a consolation prize?

Where do you have Connelly? It seems possible he slides a long way due to the social media stuff.

MBN seems low ceiling/high floor compared to the others you list- do I have that right?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thx Alex, how would you feel about Yakemchuk at 12 as a consolation prize?

Where do you have Connelly? It seems possible he slides a long way due to the social media stuff.

MBN seems low ceiling/high floor compared to the others you list- do I have that right?
Yakemchuk is a solid player but I dont think he will be BPA at 12...

Connelly is probably in the ~16-20 range for me.

MBN, yeh, he is going to be an NHLer, but I struggle to see him being more than a very good two-way 2nd line winger. Though I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
And somehow he may fall to the teens? Goddamn...

If you pretend those stats are that of a fwd...

Prince, Yakupov, Zadina, Grigorenko, Abramov Petan are the ONLY guys in the last 20 years who have failed to become top 6 level NHL forwards with the kind of numbers Parekh is putting up. Out of ~50 guys with such a profile.

If he was a fwd he would have had one of the best 50 draft years for a fwd from the CHL in the last 20 years.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I kinda want Iginla. Have a hunch he’ll be a stud and we’ll be seeing threads in 5 years asking why he wasn’t drafted higher. In the NHL pedigree seems to matter so that also bodes well for him

On defense Parekh is the realistic possibility I’m hoping for. I still think a crazy and unexpected name or two could make it to the Flyers pick. As long as they don’t go off board they’ll get a great prospect. If the Flyers pick 9th even better

Reactions: BernieParent

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I kinda want Iginla. Have a hunch he’ll be a stud and we’ll be seeing threads in 5 years asking why he wasn’t drafted higher. In the NHL pedigree seems to matter so that also bodes well for him

On defense Parekh is the realistic possibility I’m hoping for. I still think a crazy and unexpected name or two could make it to the Flyers pick. As long as they don’t go off board they’ll get a great prospect. If the Flyers pick 9th even better
There are rumors that Iginla may go to the Flames. They may have learned nepotism from the Flyers, but, Iginla in that spot is not really a reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad